Setting up Windows Live Mail, what is my outgoing mail SMTP if I use claro internet?

YasminH

Aug 29, 2008
Has anyone set up Windows Live Mail while in the D.R.? I need to know my outgoing mail server, which is suppose to be the same thing as my ISP email.

Any help?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I think it depends on your ISP. S'thing like "claro.mail....". Your ISP should be able to tell you, hopefully...

Has anyone set up Windows Live Mail while in the D.R.? I need to know my outgoing mail server, which is suppose to be the same thing as my ISP email.

Any help?

YasminH

Aug 29, 2008
bonao99,

I am trying what you are giving me, but it is not working : (

I was able to get ahold of someone at Claro, and here is what they gave me, but this is not working either:

pop.claro.com.do

smtp.claro.com.do.

Do you live in Bonao?

YasminH

Aug 29, 2008
I do have internet, I am using Claro. I had never used Windows Live before but need to set it up today. I have an incoming mail server I am using, I just need the outgoing mail server. I cannot seem to figure out what it is....

YasminH

Aug 29, 2008
Hi JD, I tried the automatic configuration, but was still required to enter an incoming and outgoing server. I already know the incoming server to use, but am having a problem with the outgoing server. When I try to send an email, I get the following message:

The host 'smtp.claro.com.do' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.

Subject 'test'
Server: 'smtp.claro.com.do'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0D
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 11004

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
They might still using this:

pop3.codetel.net.do

Outgoing mail server (SMTP):

smtp.codetel.net.do

YasminH

Aug 29, 2008
I tried the smtp.codetel.net.do, and unfortunately it did not work. Thank you for suggesting it.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I know I have to use it at work, I hate it! Gmail is far better imho... yet, I use the browser based webmail application and thinking about to install outlook so I will be confronted with the same problem as OP now...

Outlook is a real mess. Live.com inststed that I change to Outlook and now they pile one email on another and I cannot get at the email that they have buried. Real mess.

YasminH

Aug 29, 2008
I think I may need an outgoing server username and password. I will have to call Claro again to see if they will give my this info to go along with the outgoing mail smtp (smtp.claro.com.do)

Can anyone else who is using Windows Live Mail do the following and then tell me if the username and password you have there is something you got from Claro, or other ISP, or if you created it?

In Windows Live Mail, choose: options, accounts, servers, and then under outgoing mail server, check the box that says 'my server requires authentication', click settings, and then choose 'log on using', this is where the username and password need to go.

YasminH

Aug 29, 2008
Hi Bigbird,

I am trying to set up a Windows Live Mail account with an email address and incoming server provided by the company I am working for. So the company already gave me their POP server info, as well as the email address they want me to use, for example Yasmin@xyzcompany.com. I can receive emails at the WLM account, however, I am missing info needed to complete the outgoing server smtp info. I have the smtp to use, smtp.claro.com.do, but I believe I am missing a username and password needed to complete the info.

I use Claro Banda Ancha, and I have never been given a password and username from Claro to use this. Perhaps they give a username and password with broadband, or wireless.

I will need to contact someone and findout.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I have several email accounts and I just checked the properties. For all my accounts the incoming and outgoing properties are linked to the email server address...........

example:
incoming...... mail.comcast.com
outgoing.......smtp.comcast.com

incoming.........imap.gmail.com
outgoing..........smtp.gmail.com

One other thing I remember having to change when I was having problems sending email while in the DR was the SSL info which can be found using the "advanced" tab in the properties window. I had to check two different boxes for a secure connection.

I hope I make sense as I am by no means a techie.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hi Bigbird,
.....I can receive emails at the WLM account, however, I am missing info needed to complete the outgoing server smtp info. I have the smtp to use, smtp.claro.com.do, but I believe I am missing a username and password needed to complete the info...............
I believe the username and password you need will be the info linked to your WLM email account and not claro.

YasminH

Aug 29, 2008
Hi Bigbird, the way I have it set up is that there is a seperate username and password for the incoming server, and then I need another password and username for the outgoing server, which is claro.

I have been on the phone all day with Claro, and even visited the local claro servicio al cliente, but they have been unable to provide me with a claro email username and password, they start the process, and then pass me onto phone customer service, who almost do not even answer the phone.

Does anyone have a Claro username and password they do not use that I could try to use with my outgoing smtp claro server. I am getting desperate here....