Thoughts on road/curb construction in the East?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
After seeing the new north/south highway (not sure what it's called) built, ripped up, and now being built again; curb/sidewalks built, ripped up, and now being built again; I was curious what people thought of the whole process? I know that things here are pretty messed up but this is insane. Granted, the quality of the work the second time around is somewhat better, but what a complete waste of time/money/resources. And all of those palm trees they have planted in the sidewalks will eventually bust up the concrete. Plus you can't even walk on the sidewalks because the branches smack you in the face. (Yes, I know in a few years they will have grown but it's just silly right now).

Anyone know the story behind the construction? What happened to the first company? Who's doing the work now?

I've tried making small talk with locals on the construction and they just look at me like I'm from mars. No interest to discuss it at all.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Some might say that living in the DR today IS like living on Mars.

I frequently find small talk with the locals a little difficult. I attribute it to the fact that although we live in the same place, our world's are vastly different. Or I'm just awkward...LOL.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
After seeing the new north/south highway (not sure what it's called) built, ripped up, and now being built again; curb/sidewalks built, ripped up, and now being built again; I was curious what people thought of the whole process? I know that things here are pretty messed up but this is insane. Granted, the quality of the work the second time around is somewhat better, but what a complete waste of time/money/resources. And all of those palm trees they have planted in the sidewalks will eventually bust up the concrete. Plus you can't even walk on the sidewalks because the branches smack you in the face. (Yes, I know in a few years they will have grown but it's just silly right now).

Anyone know the story behind the construction? What happened to the first company? Who's doing the work now?

I've tried making small talk with locals on the construction and they just look at me like I'm from mars. No interest to discuss it at all.

When you see construction like this it's because a politician gave the contract to a family member or friend. They then hire junior engineers with very little experience who have never done a contract like this.

Fortunately, just recently the DR government started using an open raffle bid process to make contracting transparent. We hope it will continue.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
First thing that comes to mind is the new sidewalks, they are nice but in most areas they are really wide! They have taken up a lot of the road which should become nice parking areas for the cars! I have already seen cars parked on the new sidewalks, how convenient:confused: