Accusations of racism against SD bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Nothing new...back in the days there was a bar I think it was called Bella Blue where they wouldn't let you in if you were black and there have been several incidents throughout the years on different "high end" bars. I remember a while back there was a bruhaha at Praia because they supposedly wouldn't let this girl in because she was black and it turned out it was the daughter of famous entertainer Vickiana.

If you're a bar owner you can get away with this in The DR with no repercussions...well maybe the people you denied access to will come back and shoot up your bar...not having a good justice system can be a double edge sword.

‘Discriminaci?n en discoteca habr?a provocado muerte’ | remolacha.net

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
There are several bars in SD used to be famous for this practice. Probably the most belligerent on the subject has been Praia (Av. Gustavo Mejia Ricart), where even a security guard once killed a man who was protesting because they wouldn't let him in. The owner said to the press that it was his business and as such it was his right to let in whoever he wanted. He said he was just trying to "keep the place safe and classy". It's been on the news repeatedly over time. I don't know if they still do it, nor do I care. I would never go to a place owned by somebody like that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
(...) it turned out it was the daughter of famous entertainer Vickiana.

vickiana has kids? who knew? she's such a fox...

anyways, yeah, business owners have a right to do what they want, in a way. i read an article few days ago about the owner of abercrombie and fitch who said he has no plans to make clothes for the fatties and will never sell big sizes.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
vickiana has kids? who knew? she's such a fox...

anyways, yeah, business owners have a right to do what they want, in a way. i read an article few days ago about the owner of abercrombie and fitch who said he has no plans to make clothes for the fatties and will never sell big sizes.

Yes. The terrible part is not the owner. He's just one person. It is the people that keep going to a place where those things are known to happen who are to blame, because they are hundreds or thousands and they do make a difference. If they didn't go there, the owner would be soon begging black, purple or striped people to go to his bar. People usually don't realize the power they have to change things without the intervention of the government.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Racism" in the DR?????????????????????????????
It not only happens in Bars, but almost everywhere!
"If you're WHITE, you're ALL RIGHT!
If you're BROWN, you can HANG AROUND!
Sometimes.
If you're BLACK, GET BACK!!!!
If you see an "ad" for employment, it often says you must be of "Buena Presencia", ie. "BLANKA"!
Check out the "Estilos" magazine in Diario Libre.
You'd think it was made in Spain, not the DR.
See what "Color" the people with the "Good Jobs" are!
When I was staying at the hotel Naco, a bunch of us went out to dinner.
We went in two groups to different restaurants, and agreed to meet at the "Top Disco" in the Naco Plaza hotel.
The other group never showed up.
Next day we asked they why.
They said it was closed for a "Private Party".
Our group went in, no problem.
We were all White.
The other group included two African Americans.
I once asked a taxi driver I knew to take a group of visiting "Americanos" to a whore house.
He asked if "Harold", an "AA", was part of the group.
I said "Yes", he said "NO!"
Said if he took Harold, he would always be known as the "Taxista" who took the "Nigger" to the house!
I told him to "Look in the mirror".
He said he was "Indio", not "Negro"!
I told him he might be "Indio" in the DR, but he would not be in the USA!
I once bought a "Black Barbie" for the daughter of a black Dominicana I was "Dating".
She took one look and said, "Why did you bring a "Black" one????
Nobody wants a "Black Barbie"!!!!!
PS., Her daughter loved it.
At only 4 years old, she had not learned about "Self Loathing" just yet!
Hard to believe every Dominican on the island's ancestors came from SPAIN!!!!
It's TRUE!
You just have to ask them.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
And What "Castle" said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Were the owners Dominicans? I remember years ago there was a restaurant near el Malecon in SD, who refused entry to anyone who was not white. It turns out they were Italians, Dominicans protested and the restaurant was shut down.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
small kids are always cool about stuff... there is a great book by emile ajar, la vie devant soi. the story is narrated by a young arab boy, who says: for a long time i didn't know i was an arab, because nobody insulted me. i only found out when i went to school.

there are plenty of folks who will support no black, no fat, no whatever establishments. the thing is, this mentality is widespread.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
This happened a few years back when the US Embassy banned employees from going to a couple of bars who had refused entry to a few African Americans.

Now it looks like this bar has refused entry to a Dominicana .. morena...

aargh

how is anyone going to plan a party?

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jazm...sa-bar-republica-dominicana/10151420802073575

The matter will be talked about in depth in the program "El Sol de la Ma?ana" (106.5FM, 7:00AM to 11:AM) tomorrow, cuz' Julio Martinez Pozo (the leader of the commentators of the program, who is also as dark as coal) claims to be a regular client of the place.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
He will drink for FREE for the rest of his like!!!!!!
Ask him, he's an "Indiocito"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

If Martinez Pozo is an "Indio" for you then I'm the son of Thor. It's obvious that there's more to this particular story than meets the eye, since one of the other radio hosts vouched for the place. The name "La Chismosa" doesn't sound too grandiose for the high end places of this city or Santiago.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
If Martinez Pozo is an "Indio" for you then I'm the son of Thor.

i think my racism is underdeveloped because i am not getting this joke :ermm: the dude is indio or moreno to me. no black. or is he black? :tired: i rented a room in brixton years ago. my landlord was a black dude. fat, bald and very shiny on the account of sweting all the time. he looked like he was made from obsidian. this pozo guy is not even half way there.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Somebody has to play devil's advocate. I think DR is a free country. And I think that white people are free to open their PRIVATE clubs, restaurants and bars for white people only. I also think that black people are free to open their PRIVATE clubs, restaurants and bars for black people only, and that mulatos and morenos are free to open their PRIVATE clubs, restaurants and bars for mulatos and morenos only. I even think that asians are free to open their PRIVATE clubs, restaurants and bars for asians only. Where is racism here???

Another point is that if security of any club don't let a white man enter for any reason, nobody cares. But if they don't let the black man enter the place, blacks start to scream about racism. This is NOT racism. This is personal preferences of the owner of the place. And I think we don't need that polite sh#t from US here. Here in DR blacks are blacks, or negro. Negro means black in Spanish. It's normal for locals to call somebody in the street like "hey, negrita". Nobody here is Afro American. If they are black, they are Black.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
i think my racism is underdeveloped because i am not getting this joke :ermm: the dude is indio or moreno to me. no black. or is he black? :tired: i rented a room in brixton years ago. my landlord was a black dude. fat, bald and very shiny on the account of sweting all the time. he looked like he was made from obsidian. this pozo guy is not even half way there.

Martinez Pozo is black. And racist. He hates haitians...because they're black.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Somebody has to play devil's advocate. I think DR is a free country. And I think that white people are free to open their PRIVATE clubs, restaurants and bars for white people only. I also think that black people are free to open their PRIVATE clubs, restaurants and bars for black people only, and that mulatos and morenos are free to open their PRIVATE clubs, restaurants and bars for mulatos and morenos only. I even think that asians are free to open their PRIVATE clubs, restaurants and bars for asians only. Where is racism here???

Another point is that if security of any club don't let a white man enter for any reason, nobody cares. But if they don't let the black man enter the place, blacks start to scream about racism. This is NOT racism. This is personal preferences of the owner of the place. And I think we don't need that polite sh#t from US here. Here in DR blacks are blacks, or negro. Negro means black in Spanish. It's normal for locals to call somebody in the street like "hey, negrita". Nobody here is Afro American. If they are black, they are Black.

I am sorry.. how is it NOT racism if entry is denied based on the color of one's skin?

And we are not talking about PRIVATE clubs here. This is public restaurant, where the folks had a paid reservation for a private parry. There is a law on the books about discriminiation based on color of the skin, I belive.

Seems that we should not have to argue this in a country that is about 85% non white

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Years ago, clubs in NY used to profile on the "look".

You had to dress the part to get into clubs like Studio 54, The Red Zone, etc.

They picked you at the door and many were not let in blacks or otherwise!!!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

OFCOURSE that's racism? What else would you call it?

Status
Not open for further replies.