Information needed about medicinal regulations in D.R.

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Me again, con m?s preguntas. Just wondering where to find information about medicinal regulations in the D.R. Which substances are sold without prescription, and which are sold with prescription? I checked out the information available on the website of Ministerio de Salud P?blico, pero fue pura mi*rda IMO. Sure, they had a complete list of medicinas con licencias vigentes y vencidas, but no info what so ever apart from that. And their substance search function was worse than Altavista when they launched their services back in -95. So if anyone got some pointers on where this medicine student can start looking for more information, that would be great.

PS. Anyone that thinks I could make a decent living by structuring chaotic pages like the one I just discovered at the Ministerio de Salud P?blico? I've noticed that the information infrastructure doesn't hold quite the standard of the average European official sites. But then again, it's quite possible that there's no money available for webdesign in the government budget of D.R.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nearly everything in DR is sold over the counter apart from some really strong psycho meds. what is the medicine you want to know about?

and the answer to your ps is: no. :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Also some meds found commonly as prescription meds elsewhere are just not found at all in the DR.

As for working designing web pages for the government in the DR. FORGET ABOUT IT.

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Ha-ha. Thanks for taking me out of my illusion that I could perhaps improve some of the incredibly bad sites. :squareeye It's a good thing I've got my copy writing and journalism to live by, so I don't really need a new job.

Since I exercise a lot, I'm mostly interested in medicinas anti inflamat?ricas, like Diclofenac. Non-opiod based pain killers is also good to have, and so is diuretics, lidocaine/xylocaine gel, and ephedrine. I did read the document que me recomendaste, dv8, and none of the things I am interested in - or will ever need - is on any of the lists. I guess I can do very well without controlled substances and drogas il?citas. :nervous: But does that mean that all meds except those on the lists are non-prescription? That would indeed indicate that a very large percentage of all the medicines are sold without prescription in D.R., just like you stated, dv8. Not saying that it isn't so, since I got no clue (and that's why I'm asking). I'm just a bit shocked since we got so extremely harsh medicinal regulations where I live now that you can't even buy cough medicine without a prescription.

As for the medicines we will likely need for the kiddo - like cough syrup, Tylelone, loperamid, hydrocortisone, and all that stuff - I guess they are all non-prescription, right?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
medicine for all common afflictions are largely over the counter: cold medicine, antibiotics, acetaminophen, loperamid included.
dermatology products like hydrocortisone are also available.
nearly all pain killers are available: diclofenac, ibuprofen (up to 800mg), tramadol and tons of other stuff.
lidocaine in gel and injections available.
i have not seen efedrina on it's own.
diuretics like hidroclorotiazida and espironolactona are also available without prescription.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
medicine for all common afflictions are largely over the counter: cold medicine, antibiotics, acetaminophen, loperamid included.
nearly all pain killers are available: diclofenac, ibuprofen (up to 800mg), tramadol and tons of other stuff.
diuretics like hidroclorotiazida and espironolactona are also available without prescription.

dv8,

Do you know why I cannot find Asafen Forte now? I was told that it requires a prescription, which is rather strange since it is basically Sufafed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am thinking it may not be sold anymore?

some meds, especially by large foreign labs are being pulled of the market as FDA is putting more compounds on the list of controlled drugs. and those include simple pain or cold medicine.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
dv8,

Do you know why I cannot find Asafen Forte now? I was told that it requires a prescription, which is rather strange since it is basically Sufafed.

i am thinking it may not be sold anymore?

some meds, especially by large foreign labs are being pulled of the market as FDA is putting more compounds on the list of controlled drugs. and those include simple pain or cold medicine.

If you meant it is Sudafed, then it is probably because it is used it as the raw material to make crystal meth. In the US it is still over the counter, I think, but you have to present ID so they can see if you buy too much. Unfortunately it is the only decongestant that actually works. I had never seen Sudafed or a generic sold here in the DR.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If you meant it is Sudafed, then it is probably because it is used it as the raw material to make crystal meth. In the US it is still over the counter, I think, but you have to present ID so they can see if you buy too much. Unfortunately it is the only decongestant that actually works. I had never seen Sudafed or a generic sold here in the DR.

I did mean Sudafed. By the time I noticed the typo, it was too late to edit.

I know about the regulations in the US, but it absolutely boggles my mind that Tramadol, which is a controlled substance in New York, is available over the counter here while Sudafed, which is OTC with restrictions, is not.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no no, i meant that at times when the US government is putting restrictions a company responds by pulling a drug from the market altogether, they stop making the stuff. sometimes it is re-introduced again, under a different name, with changed formula.

Makinater

May 4, 2013

Bummer. All sorts of good medicine can be used to purposes they weren't intended for. Read that acetona was prohibited all? since it could be used for some sort of illicit drug manufacturing. It's possible to buy that in lots of places here since people use it as a cleaning product and to remove nail polish. Tough luck if one were to bring it in the suitcase out of ignorance ...

Makinater

May 4, 2013

Wow. Lots and lots of info. I love this forum already. Hm, how many years have you been living en el patio, dv8? Seems to have a profound knowledge of most things ... :nervous:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I work out so I don't have to take drugs and if the OP needs drugs I recommend he change his workout program.

Regarding Sudafed, Winasorb used to have a tablet on the market a couple of years ago. I used to take it frequently in the States but after living here for so long I no longer need it.

They sell the biggest doseage of Lyrica (900mg pills) over the counter in RD, for a fraction of the price you have to pay in other countries. They are avaliable without a prescription.
I was empty for meds, but had my empty box from my doctor, i never believed i would get Lyrica here. But Behold- they not only had lyrica, it was almost free in price comparison.

Lyrica is more or less the same as Tramadol, Yes i have tried both.

And if you need pain killers with codeine, then ask for Tylex CD. This is Paracetamol 500mg and 30mg Codeine phosphate. This will cost you +- 2000peso for 30 pills.
But they actually works if you have a serious injury. Or suffer from a very painful condition. Never take more then 8 or 10 a day, this because the paracetamol is not good for your liver, and 8 pills is the maximum your liver can process.
And as with all Codeine based drugs, they are NOT made for eating everyday like a snacks, they are made for helping you overcome a short term painful condition.
Just remember to ask your doctor for his advice if you are unfamiliar with the different medicines, and before you try them. These drugs will actually kill you in the end if you take them just to be high.

If the mods feel this Tylex CD information will be misused, then just delete this post- i wrote this little " codeine secret" since i truly believe there are xpats or their dominican families that can use- not misuse this information for helping them out.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
makinater, i used to work in a pharmacy hence i know a little bit about what is available.

rattus, i find lyrica extremely expensive, there are tons of generics containing the same at a fraction of a price. and the maximum strength of pregabalina is, i believe 300mg. for some reason i only see tylex CD sold by a box. there is also oxa forte (diclofenac with codeina), about 50-60 pesos per pill, sold individually.

in regards to american medicine being pulled off the shelves. sometimes it is also in doses some substances are considered dangerous and the quantity used in a compound can be lowered. so a manufacturer will stop making the medicine and revise the formula to fit new conditions of sale. especially a manufacturer originally located in USA or europe and operating under those regulations.

Makinater

May 4, 2013
And if you need pain killers with codeine, then ask for Tylex CD. This is Paracetamol 500mg and 30mg Codeine phosphate. This will cost you +- 2000peso for 30 pills.
But they actually works if you have a serious injury. Or suffer from a very painful condition. Never take more then 8 or 10 a day, this because the paracetamol is not good for your liver, and 8 pills is the maximum your liver can process.
And as with all Codeine based drugs, they are NOT made for eating everyday like a snacks, they are made for helping you overcome a short term painful condition.
Just remember to ask your doctor for his advice if you are unfamiliar with the different medicines, and before you try them. These drugs will actually kill you in the end if you take them just to be high.

If the mods feel this Tylex CD information will be misused, then just delete this post- i wrote this little " codeine secret" since i truly believe there are xpats or their dominican families that can use- not misuse this information for helping them out.

Thank you for the information. If i ever break a leg or have some other painful injury, it is good to know that the meds are there. But like you said, paracetamol does make the liver work hard during the first passage metabolism. Not to mention that codeine is pretty potent, so I wouldn't use it unless it was really necessary. :squareeye

Amy1

Apr 23, 2013
What about medicine for gout? Colchicine generic was taken off market in US even though it has been there for 100 years, and now you have to buy the name brand Colcrys, which is VERY expensive (90 pills generic used to cost about $10us, now same amount of name brand would be almost $700us!). Is there equivalent generic avail in RD available OTC?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, it is sold in DR without prescription. there is only one generic i know, colchicina, made by laboratorio LAM (very decent). 23 pesos per pill, or 1170 pesos for a box of 50 pills.
see here for more details:
Lam | Productos