Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default and you worry about driving in DR...?

newspapers today report that s**tty drivers owe dominican government lots of money. a lot more than you think... all this in unpaid traffic tickets. and the worst of the worst drivers? he has 474 outstanding tickets. for a total of nearly half a million pesos. his name is Kevis Manuel Jiménez Núñez. i love how they printed that in full

among other halfwits we have: 10,154 drivers with 25 to 49 unpaid fines and 53,532 drivers with minimum 10 to 24 fines.

now, someone can correct me here since i still struggle with numbers in spanish: RD$1,500 millones is 1 and a half billion, yes?

Un chofer público tiene 474 multas pendientes - DiarioLibre.com

2. Likes KateP, MikeFisher liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

NYC too, Philadelphia had it..... eventually , they crack down and collect

Might be harder here.......US can just cancel your license (not renew)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post

now, someone can correct me here since i still struggle with numbers in spanish: RD$1,500 millones is 1 and a half billion, yes?

Un chofer público tiene 474 multas pendientes - DiarioLibre.com
    Mil millones es un millardo.

A billion is not the same as un billón; un billón is equal to a trillion: ten trillion US dollars is diez billones en español.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, it is the same in polish: milion, miliard, bilion. so one miliard in polish (or in spanish) equals to what english speaking world calls one billion.
    1,500 milliones is 1,500,000,000 yes?

6. Likes MikeFisher liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

1,000 = mil
    10,000 = diez mil
    100,000 = cien mil
    1,000,000 = _____________millon
    10,000,000 = _____________diez millones
    100,000,000 = ______________cien millones
    1,000,000,000 = ______________mil millones
    10,000,000,000 = _______________diez mil millones
    100,000,000,000 = _______________cien mil milones
    1,000,000,000,000 = _______________billon

8. Likes lisagauss, MikeFisher liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    1,000,000,000,000 = _______________
    Un billón

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

As I remember, they promised to not renew drivers license for people with unpaid tickets. The renewal is every 4 years. So if somebody has 400+ tickets unpaid since 2006, his license must be expired in 2010 or earlier and not renewed. So why the **** he is still driving his ****ty caro publico?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I am not surprised. Last year I had an accident with a taxi driver in the corner of Tiradentes and 27 de Febrero in Santo Domingo. He was turning left, but there is no left turn sign, so he did that turn from right lane to the left, and I hit him in his rear left door. A lot of damage to his car, but no damage for my big truck's steel bumper. I called the AMET guy (he was on the same intersection and he saw what happened) and I said that I have to go right now, I don't give a **** because it's not my fault, and I have the video on my dashcam that can prove everything I say. He said ok, but why you guys don't give your phone numbers and driver's license data to each other, just to deal with the insurance later. I said that I don't need that because there's no damage to my truck and I don't care about another car's damage because it was his fault. The taxi driver said that he doesn't have ANY driver's license. And AMET guy did not say anything. Somebody just had an accident and he doesn't have a driver's license? No problem here. So I just said F#ck that and left the scene, the guy without drivers license left too. So if they let them to drive without a license, I don't see any point to renew it and to pay fines if you have them.
    Last edited by Hernandez; 05-16-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

few years ago someone posted a story on how majority of carro publico drivers do not have a license at all.

here's the news from just few weeks ago: AMET impone 658 multas fin de semana - ElNacional.com.do

La Autoridad Metropolitana de Transporte (Amet), impuso en el fin de semana multas en el Distrito Nacional a 658 a choferes de camiones, guaguas y carros del transporte público y vehículos privados por conducir y circular en vehículos sin seguro, licencia de conducir o estar vencidos sus documentos.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

from this site:
    El transporte público genera desorden - Provincias Dominicanas
    Al igual que los choferes del transporte público urbano, los del suburbano e interurbano la mayoría carecen de licencia de conducir, mientras los que las tienen ya están vencidas.

and from nuevo diario here:
    Amet somete por violación ley de tránsito a 839 mil 993 conductores
    Por violación a distintas infracciones de la Ley de Tránsito, la Autoridad Metropolitana del Transporte (Amet) ha sometido a la justicia en dos años y cuatro meses a 839 mil 993 conductores de carros, camiones, patanas y motocicletas. (...) entre los infractores están (...) 64 mil 785 por conducir sin licencia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast