Carretera Cibao - Sur / Cibao-South Road

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The DR gov has declared that it will give the go ahead to the construction of the Cibao-Sur road, a past administration project.

The road will link the general Cibao region with the South, without the need to transport goods almost to the province of Santo Domingo in order to reroute towards the Southwest.

The works are estimated to cost between 300 to 400 U.S. million dollars.

The use of tunnels, which was a time saving option for the road, has now been discarded in favor of an all open road to entice tourists to make the trip. An all open road will expose the travelers to the untouched vegetation and scenery all around the trip.

417965_642109672481663_1817056631_n.jpg

showimage.php

images

11.jpg

cibao-sur.jpeg

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Excellent!

I do wish they'd also improve the Constanza to Jan Jose de Ocoa road...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I) There will be no economic impact
2) Rafael Corominas, a good friend, is right, but nobody listens
3) The way they are talking involves cutting into the mountains, which Corominas indicated was very bad.
4) There is NOTHING in the South that the Cibao needs.
5) Internal Tourism? Like who really wants to go to San Juan de la Maguana?
6) The so-called "National Forests" have pretty much been stripped bare by the Army, with the exeption of the area nearest Plan Sierra
7) Sadly, you really have to understand civil engineering at its worst!! The movement of land is the biggest, absolutely the biggest rip-off there is, and that is why no bridges and no tunnels. The big tractors go back and forth and do little or nothing but "look" like they are working and the charges mount up and go into the pockets of the promoters of this fiasco.

The HB take on this is that it was bad 30 or more years ago when Bishop Roque Adames was pushing of it and it is a bad thing now...a whole lot worse than Loma Miranda.
The big deal is that we don't have an easy target like FalconBridge to shoot at...How do you attack "regional development" or "internal tourism" ...???? See what I mean???

This is a super major booddoggle...or else why reject the Piedra Blanca-San Jose de Ocoa Route???? Yup! No big money!!

HB

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
3) The way they are talking involves cutting into the mountains, which Corominas indicated was very bad.
6) The so-called "National Forests" have pretty much been stripped bare by the Army, with the exeption of the area nearest Plan Sierra
7) Sadly, you really have to understand civil engineering at its worst!! The movement of land is the biggest, absolutely the biggest rip-off there is, and that is why no bridges and no tunnels. The big tractors go back and forth and do little or nothing but "look" like they are working and the charges mount up and go into the pockets of the promoters of this fiasco.

The HB take on this is that it was bad 30 or more years ago when Bishop Roque Adames was pushing of it and it is a bad thing now...a whole lot worse than Loma Miranda.
The big deal is that we don't have an easy target like FalconBridge to shoot at...How do you attack "regional development" or "internal tourism" ...???? See what I mean???

This is a super major booddoggle...or else why reject the Piedra Blanca-San Jose de Ocoa Route???? Yup! No big money!!

HB

Same things said back when RD-1 was being proposed, same with RD-2... The list goes on...

There's no worst blind that those that don't want to see, or worst deaf than those that don't want to hear what they don't want to listen to.

What's at stake for the whole Cibao region with this road? Nothing much, just half a day of travel, gas money and cheaper goods...

What tourists? Right? Let's ask Cobraboy here if he shares your take on this...

What benefits? I's a road, not a Hospital or School, right? Endless!

Corominas was right 100 years ago. Maybe...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I)

HB

Not viable for the speed of travel, after all, a major road needs to be time saving for it to have "impact"...

Another large aspect is the repetitive private property already with something built on it, which will cost more to have relocated/paid for than open and clear land.

The list goes on.

These alternative proponents, they think this is going to be another one lane road with barely space to turn...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

HB
It very well may be a boondoggle, but getting to the SW even with the El Baden bypass is a long, not too enjoyable experience.

I'd have preferred the road from Constanza to San Jose de Ocoa be done first. Getting produce from the region to the SW quickly would be a real positive, IMO.

But I have self-serving interests I admit.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Who is paying for this? Is this arrangement similar to some of the other new roads built where the construction company pays for the costs of building and then gets to collect tolls?

LTSteve

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Who is paying for this? Is this arrangement similar to some of the other new roads built where the construction company pays for the costs of building and then gets to collect tolls?

LTSteve

All of us are...Even in those arrangements we're still paying because the contracts negotiated were for a minimum number of vehicles, so when this quota is not reached (not even close BTW) the government takes people's taxes and pays the toll company for the rest of vehicles that didn't travel on the road...completely asinine IMO.

Gobierno cancela contrato Dovicom, compens?ndola con US$ 135 millones