How To Arrange A FEDEX Pickup From US Address

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Perhaps someone else may have a need for this information.

I need to have something picked up from a doctor's office in Salinas, Puerto Rico and delivered to an address in St Louis, MO

To arrange that from the Dominican Republic:

1. Call 1-800-463-3339 (if calling from the DR use 880 instead of 800; call not toll free)

2. Answer the usual computer generated questions about what you want to do, then when asked, either give your FedEx account number of say you don't have an account

3. Since I didn't have an account, i was transferred to someone to start the process of setting one up. I was surprised at the questions asked me to determine whether I was make a serious request rather than a crank call. Questions included reading a list of properties and asking if I have ever owned or lived at any of the addresses (I hadn't), a list of people that I might have been identified with (in my case, the dead wife of a son was on the list), and the state my Social Security card was issued in. I thought I was talking with the CIA. Amazing how much information is in the public domain.

4. I was then transferred to the person who was actually going to set up the account. This is where i gave credit card info, etc. After this was processed, she told me my account number. In the future, I only need to give the account number.

5. She ask me when and where i wanted to the pickup, I told her Thursday. She apologized and said they only schedule pickups within 2 days of the date, and told me to call back on Tuesday, assuring me that I would just have to give my account number and the pickup would be scheduled.

The phone number above can also be used to arrange pickups elsewhere, not just the US. The process of setting up the account would be similar. I set my account up as a US account using the same US address as I used for my credit card.

I could also have arranged for the pickup by UPS by calling UPS in the Dominican Republic at 809-549-2777. When I investigated how I was going to manage getting something picked up in the US even though I am in the DR, I was told that UPS Dominican Republic can arrange it.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Very interesting and thanks. You included all of the w,w,w, w,w, and how but neglected one important item, how much?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A correction re telephone number. If calling with a cell phone from the DR, dial 1-800-463-3339. If from a land line, dial 1-880-463-3339.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Very interesting and thanks. You included all of the w,w,w, w,w, and how but neglected one important item, how much?

I won't know until I arrange the pickup on Tuesday. But having spent a lot of time in Puerto Rico when my wife and I were cruising, and sending packages by FedEx when we were there, I am certain it will be a lot less than from the DR. The reason is that Puerto Rico is part of the US postal system and all the shipping options available in the mainland US are available there. So they can't charge much more than it would cost to send express mail, for example, from a US post office, otherwise people would use the post office.

They would have gone out of business a long time ago in Puerto Rico if they charged what they do here.

Knowing that is one reason why I chose to use FedEx rather than calling UPS Dominican Republic in Santo Domingo. I didn't want to take a chance that they might think I didn't know the difference between charges in the two places. Probably unfair of me to think that, but I am using FedEx

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
you have really thought this out. good luck

If I had called UPS Dominican Republic, chances are I would have had a Dominican Republic account, at least that's what I think.

However, my FedEx account is a US account, using my credit card address. I'll never know whether that makes a difference because I won't be setting up a UPS account with UPS Dominican Republic. But I don't think having a US account will hurt me.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Um.. why wouldn't you just have the doctors office call FEDEX for a pickup, and give them the destination address and your account number?

I have what I think is a good reason to handle it this way.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you have made a note of this information, add the number of the International Department of FedEx:

1-800 (or 880 if dialing direct from DR landline)-247-4747.

If you call this number, you can arrange a pickup in any country that FedEx services, other than the US. I had to use it because Puerto Rico is considered international since it is not one of the 50 states.

It may be that if the pickup is in the US but delivery in a foreign country, you also use the international number. But if the pickup is in the US, I'd suggest starting with the US Department -
1-800 (880 from DR landline)-463-3339

Wherever you start, they are very good to switching you to the right department if necessary.

I've talked with them quite a bit. There was a mixup and first pickup was not made so I had to call and arrange another. Then I called this morning to confirm the pickup was made.

In all my dealings, I have found them very pleasant and helpful. Both numbers I gave you connected me with English speaking people.