Does anyone know if the DR has a PET/CT scanner?

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
As of about 3 months ago there was no PET scan here....knew someone who had to go to the US for one. The one at CMC wasn't what was needed....nor at HOMS or elsewhere, like SDQ.
suerte

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i saw an article in diario libre from october than mentioned there is no PET scan in DR. of course things might have changed.
why not drop an email or call centro medicina nuclear in SD?
Av P H Ure?a 62, Santo Domingo
(809) 687-4165
mnuclear@claro.net.do

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Good idea... The test is not the difficult part. The challenging and most crucial part is the Doctor reading the results.
For example any low level technician can take an MRI on the island. However it takes a skilled Physician to read and interpret the results. For what I think you are inquiring about, get it done State-side.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sorry to hear you may need a PET scan, I had one 10 years ago after a nodule was found in a lung. After being injected with a special fluid, you sit about 45 minutes while it goes through your body, then you go into a machine that looks much like a CT machine. They scan your entire body, and any cancer it finds "lights up". Totally painless. It's not 100% effective though. In my case they used it to possibly avoid a biopsy, but once it lit up I had to have a lobectomy.

neural

Dec 12, 2012
I am aware of CT and MRI available in HOMS, Santiago. It is a modern hospital with wonderful staff. Wishing you good health!

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
PET scans can show up a cancer, it can reveal the stage of the cancer and also if the cancer has spread. Doctors recommend that patients with heart related conditions undergo a PET scan. It can reveal if parts of the heart have been damaged or scarred.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Trainman, Good luck!! Check out MMS by Jim Humble. I have seen people stop the progression of Parkinsons, and get back SOME lost movement...but not 100% cured. But stopping the progression was huge.. Check it out.. it's a personal decision to go that route... There is some debate. I used it for other things and still use it. But not everyone trusts it.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Trainman, Good luck!! Check out MMS by Jim Humble. I have seen people stop the progression of Parkinsons, and get back SOME lost movement...but not 100% cured. But stopping the progression was huge.. Check it out.. it's a personal decision to go that route... There is some debate. I used it for other things and still use it. But not everyone trusts it.

I don't know if that is the problem yet it may be something else entirely.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
PET scans can show up a cancer, it can reveal the stage of the cancer and also if the cancer has spread. Doctors recommend that patients with heart related conditions undergo a PET scan. It can reveal if parts of the heart have been damaged or scarred.

Actually although you are correct PET SCAN does do a great job, Doctors will recommend an angiogram, as a PET Scan is more expensive. For those wanting to avoid an invasive procedure ( angiogram) a PET scan is an alternative but not as definitive as an Angiogram.... this is my understanding anyways..

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Actually although you are correct PET SCAN does do a great job, Doctors will recommend an angiogram, as a PET Scan is more expensive. For those wanting to avoid an invasive procedure ( angiogram) a PET scan is an alternative but not as definitive as an Angiogram.... this is my understanding anyways..

Yes, a PET scan is more expensive but it is the test that can detect if there has been any damage or scarring done to the heart caused by a heart attack. An angiogram is used for the purpose of measuring the blood flow and blood pressure in the heart chambers. Also it can detect if any coronary arteries are blocked that can cause a heart attack.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
I found out that there is one in Santiago at the offices of Dr. Morel Diagnosis - Centro de Imgenes Mdicas - Laboratorio Clnico I don't think any English speaking person has found that out before because as you can see they do not refer to it as "Estudio PET" but "Gammagrafia".

I do not believe this is the same thing as a PetScan. I have had to go to Miami twice in the past year for PetScans as they do not have one in the DR. If you would like more info on where I went you can pm me....best of luck...tom

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I found this old thread.

Does anyone know the cost of a CTScan at HOMS or elsewhere?
I need chest, abdomen and pelvis with contrast