Papel de Buena Conducta- Paper proving arrest free history - Where to get one?

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
Hello all,

I need a Papel de Buena Conducta- Paper proving arrest free history from the U.S. I need it for a job. I live here in Santo Domingo. Anyone know how to go about this without leaving the country? I called the Embassy, but I didn't get past the automated system. Any help would be appreciated.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
You most likely won't be able to get it from Santo Domingo. A buena conducta is also required for residency, and from what I have read online, it comes from the FBI, which requires fingerprints taken by a police department within the previous eighteen months. I am not sure how you would manage getting your fingerprints taken here.

Not sure about this. but perhaps you could call or email them and ask if you can substitute fingerprinting done at the Consulate. They do it for visas, so obviously have the ability - not sure about willingness, however.

Could you take the ferry to Puerto Rico and get it done there? The form for the fingerprints can be downloaded and printed.

Aug 21, 2007
I don't know about every state, but in Pennsylvania, you can get it online. No fingerprints necessary. It wasn't an FBI background check, but one stating that I had no criminal record in the state of PA. I can't remember, but I think it costs money. After receiving it, I got it notorized and apostillised, and it was good to go.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
Well, sorry about that. I looked for the link to send, and it said that they "will be accepting no new users." They must have changed the system of doing things.

Lindsey

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Criminal background checks in New York are typically ordered by a prospective employer and the results are never released to the candidate. Ever.

You can have someone order a background history on you WHO ISN'T RELATED TO YOU AT ALL from AmerUSA.net and have this individual email you the results.

Check the site for the costs and requirements.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Go to the US consulate in SD and ask them what is acceptable. When I got one done in NY State I had to call an agency that does them for the NY State Police and they also do the electronic fingerprinting at the same time, but you might be able to get something on line and get the fingerprints in the DR. The only problem there would be that they submit the fingerprints through the system in the US to see if anything comes up that would indicate you have a criminal record. Good luck.

LTSteve