CBC Documentary: Dominican Baseball Dreams

alfiefan

Feb 20, 2013
CBC just aired a very interesting documentary on the National News tonight, Monday, May 20. The focus was on how the hope of hitting the big-time in North American baseball leads Dominican boys to stake everything on this one dream of making it in the bigs. A very sad story of a 15-year-old who probably died by taking steroids, plus the major league baseball machine's pretty heartless approach to picking the cream of the crop in the DR at a fraction of the price. I couldn't find the link for the entire doc - it might not be posted yet on the CBC site. Here's a link for some photos:

CBC.ca - Image Gallery - Baseball a key to success in Dominican Republic

I'll kieep checking the CBC site for the link for the video of the National's story. You can too at CBC.ca

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
CBC just aired a very interesting documentary on the National News tonight, Monday, May 20. The focus was on how the hope of hitting the big-time in North American baseball leads Dominican boys to stake everything on this one dream of making it in the bigs. A very sad story of a 15-year-old who probably died by taking steroids, plus the major league baseball machine's pretty heartless approach to picking the cream of the crop in the DR at a fraction of the price. I couldn't find the link for the entire doc - it might not be posted yet on the CBC site. Here's a link for some photos:

CBC.ca - Image Gallery - Baseball a key to success in Dominican Republic

I'll kieep checking the CBC site for the link for the video of the National's story. You can too at CBC.ca

I'll make sure to see it, but you don't "probable die" from taking steroids, steroids don't kill. Create long term health effects specially on teens, yes but they don't kill, you cannot overdose on steroids...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It is just like anything else. You have to be the cream of the crop to make it to the Big leagues. I believe there are around 900 MLB players and out of that are around 65 Dominicans. Do the math, it is a long shot. There are a lot of talented Latino players all over the Caribbean and Central America. Very rarely do you find a Robinson Cano.

LTSteve

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'll make sure to see it, but you don't "probable die" from taking steroids, steroids don't kill. Create long term health effects specially on teens, yes but they don't kill, you cannot overdose on steroids...

Yes you can. Try taking too much prednisone and see what happens.

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012

Medical literature includes sudden cardiac death as an consequence of anabolic steroid use, which is what's happening in the D.R.:

"Consequent alterations of cellular pathology and organ physiology are similar to those seen with heart failure and cardiomyopathy. Hypertension, ventricular remodeling, myocardial ischemia, and sudden cardiac death have each been temporally and causally associated with anabolic steroid use in humans. These effects persist long after use has been discontinued and have significant impact on subsequent morbidity and mortality." (The cardiac toxicity of anabolic... [Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 1998 Jul-Aug] - PubMed - NCBI)