cremation in DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is an interesting article today in diario libre:
Cremaciones, una tendencia que empieza a crecer en RD - DiarioLibre.com

so far the only place in DR offering cremation is funeraria blandino in SD. mostly taking care of foreigners, partly because this is a popular option in many cultures outside of DR and partly, i suppose, because of the arrangements to transport the remains back to home country.
the report mentions that lately more dominicans pick up this option as well, middle and high class folks. the cost is 56k pesos for basic and 79k for a premium cremation.

i have asked to me cremated. it will be so much easier to take whatever is left back to poland. interestingly enough - and this is not DR related, really - my parents asked for cremation too. and there i was always thinking they were very traditional.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
For me as a German this is the only way. How else to get into Valhalla? ;)

Only those who died in battle are allowed in? Survived DR for 15 yrs + will count as well I am sure! :D

Seriously, why not? I think cremation is the cleanest way...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ecologically, is it really the best way? Isn't it better to decompose inside the earth in a biodegradable coffin, as opposed to rotting away in a box inside a concrete hole, which is what happens here?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't know whether it's the best way. burial in a shroud does not seem like a great ecological option either, with the sheer quantity of bodies.

in my case i always preferred to be burnt. and now even more so because i want my ashes to be taken to poland. way easier than packing up a gigantic lead coffin with my body happily rotting inside...

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
What is the difference between basic and premium cremation? I could think of some hilarious facts, but I guess it depends on added benefits and not the cremation itself, doesn't it?.
I want to be cremated too, so it's a good to know the facts.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
What is the difference between basic and premium cremation? I could think of some hilarious facts, but I guess it depends on added benefits and not the cremation itself, doesn't it?.
I want to be cremated too, so it's a good to know the facts.

strippers handling drinks while family waits for the ashes springs to mind... but no, with 79k you get a special coffin: good looking on the outside with a removable inside which is burnt with the body, as far as i understand. makes me wonder what the basic version is. no coffin at all?

here's their website: Funeraria Blandino
not much info on details, thou.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The difference could be the quality or the box they store your ashes in. In Montreal, I still have the ashes of one of my brother's-in-law on my dresser, great looking and solid. (4 years now) whenever we partied, I used to bring out the box, place on the table, put a Molsons Ex. on it and we all drank with him. I think cremation is the way to go. "If you have to go"

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
you can arrange and prepay your cremation or burial or whatever with Blandino. A friend here said they do a womderful job and make it much easier for the people around who have to do the work.

It is my understand that all foreigners who die here have to have an autopsy but I do not know if that is try. Best to check with Blandino.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Cremation is my No.1 choice too - I was just wondering whether it really is the 'cleanest' ecologically.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Cremation is the way. I personally want to be cremated in that my ashes be spread out on the open ocean so that I will not have a grave for people to go visit me.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
you can arrange and prepay your cremation or burial or whatever with Blandino. A friend here said they do a womderful job and make it much easier for the people around who have to do the work.

It is my understand that all foreigners who die here have to have an autopsy but I do not know if that is try. Best to check with Blandino.
Unless things have changed. YES. Blandino takes care of that also. (Double Check) They pick up your sorry a$$ take you to forensics for autopsy, bring you to their shop, toast you and turn the ashes over to your family or whomever. Also prepare all the documents for transport etc.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, their website says so. the family can sip pina colada s on the beach and the blandino will arrange for everything, including all paperwork and delivering the remains to the airport.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In Canada her where I am, they have a cardboard coffin option...... I have used it.... the most economical way to go.

Undertakers are ghoulish - they prey on your grief to sell the Cadillac of Coffins. Many families go in to debt over a funeral.

My mother instructed me clearly.......... quick, easy and cheap.... no service, no announcement - nuttin'

She also thought she was going nowhere - no friends to catch up with ..... nuttin'

I hate to think there is nothing out there......... back to those girls serving the cocktails.........

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

It is true that an autopsy is required.

My wife died about 5 years ago and was cremated by Blandino. But an autopsy was required first.

When I got the ashes, they were in a plastic bag inside a box that was inside a wooden replica of a coffin, but much smaller.

The US Embassy was notified by Blandino that I wanted to take the ashes to the US. The Embassy prepared documents authorizing me to transport the ashes, which were helpful going through TSA because on the xray the ashes are a dark blob.

I took the ashes in the small box, not the big wooden box. It was much too large to put in a suitcase and too heavy.

Blandino handled the entire process, but picking up the body at the hosptial to giving me the ashes. I recommend them. I used the Blandino funeral home in Santiago.

May 20, 2012
If you want a very nice urn at a fair price, look on the USA Costco website. They also sell coffins of all qualities for about half of what a mortuary does....same exact coffin. Price is delivered to the mortuary. So maybe Pricesmart here sells 'em too.