GPS Questions

Jan 9, 2004
I have read through several threads on GPS maps of the DR and it seems there are a fair number of maps both free and for purchase.

Has anyone done a head to head comparison with any of these maps?

If so, is there a head and shoulders standout?

Where is it available for purchase or download?

I am trying to find a comprehensive, turn by turn, map for my Garmin.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I bought the Garmin one... $50 or whatever that was mentioned in the thread a year or so ago.

Used Garmin on E-Bay, $49.99........turn by turn thru SD and all over the island
Very happy

Jan 9, 2004
I bought the Garmin one... $50 or whatever that was mentioned in the thread a year or so ago.

Used Garmin on E-Bay, $49.99........turn by turn thru SD and all over the island
Very happy

WW:

Yes, I read your review of it on another thread. Seems fairly comprehensive.

I ask again now, as technology changes so fast with this stuff.

Thanks.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, as Imentioned there - ithad the new Samana highway on it.... so was current.

Also, you can get it updated online.... all the new stuff... doesn't apply so much to RD, not that much new.

Someone may be able to help with the new eastern road -if its on the map yet

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Are google maps available for gps? Seems pretty accurate on my blackberry?

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Are google maps available for gps? Seems pretty accurate on my blackberry?

Google Maps will not provide turn-by-turn voice navigation in DR but it will accurately tell you where you are on the map as you're driving. You can get a detailed route from point A to B but you will have to read what the street names are and figure out the distance between each step in the route, or just continue looking at the map to see how close you are to your next turn.

It was inconvenient not to have voice-guided navigation but it was very useful considering I've never been in DR before.