New!! :)

theoneandonly

May 22, 2013
Hello all, I am new to the board! My first trip outside the United States was to the DR last June, 2012, and I am returning to the DR this June. My first experience was wonderful, though on a resort, we did experience much of the DR through the bus line Caribe Tours. We flew into Santo Domingo SDQ simply because we were able to use points to fly Delta and that was our only option. Our resort is in Puerto Plata, and we took the bus there. It was a great experience, but I am looking for a less hectic option, even if I have to pay a bit more this time. My fiance and I are making the same trip, but hoping for a safe taxi ride there instead of using the bus. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

TOAO

May 12, 2005
Welcome to DR1. Lots of options out there. Are you a Spanish speaker? Are you adventurous or prefer more controlled environs?

theoneandonly

May 22, 2013
I am a poor to moderate spanish speaker. I can communicate my destination, but certainly cannot negotiate a price. We are prepared to get price gouged a little with taking a taxi or some sort from the airport, but we want a controlled environment for sure. We attempted to get the Lifestyles resort in PP to send a car to get us, but they said they only come as far south as Santiago. Ideally, we step out into the food court at Las Americas, get in a car, ride to the resort, and be on vacation! No hurdles to jump over nor issues to deal with.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Cobra boy" here on DR1, guides motor cycle tours of the entire country.
He has 3-wheeled bikes for those who wish, and I believe a passenger van goes along for the less adventurous who want to go along without a "Bike".
"PM" him about it.
I believe he has a web site showing all details, with video and pictures.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I believe you would be better off flying into "PP" than taking a "Taxi" from "SD".
Both financially, and safety wise.

theoneandonly

May 22, 2013
CC,

Thanks, but we're not really looking for a tour, just simple transportation from Santo Domingo to our Puerta Plata resort. Obviously fyling into POP would have been ideal, but Delta does not fly there, and we got our plane tickets for free due to skymiles, so it just made sense to fly delta. I don't mind a $200 or even $300 taxi ride if the plane ticket wasn't $1200, you know?

On our last trip, it was a sinch finding a taxi to get us to the Caribe Tours bus station, and the driver offered to take us the whole way for $200. Are the taxis at SDQ fairly safe to take on such a long trip? From what I've read on DR1, there is some sort of organization of those drivers who have the airport as their territory. The politics of it don't really interest me, and I don't mind paying a "tourist" price for the taxi, so long as we get there easily and safely.

theoneandonly

May 22, 2013
I have thought about that, but the resort was fairly unhelpful on our last trip. Again, they say they will only pick up as far south as Santiago. They have said they will provide a car when we leave the resort after the week vacation.

DerFish, We arrive on the 1st of June.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have taken Caribe Tours MANY times over the years, and "Metro" as well.
Was there a reason you don't want to take the bus??
Taxis are MUCH more dangerous than a bus.
I doubt if the fare is $10 dollars each.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

theoneandonly

May 22, 2013
Our experience with Caribe was wonderful, just a little hectic and crazy. I just want the travel to be more planned and simple. Plus, the trip took about 3.5 hours, when I am certain it shouldn't have been so long, with all the stops and what not.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Puerta Plata is nice and I went that route many times years ago but there is a whole lot of country to see with better hotels and beaches. Next time try a different area, such as, Punta Cana or Samana.

LTSteve

theoneandonly

May 22, 2013
Our best friends are time shareholders on the resort there, so its an economical option, though I am certain I would enjoy the rest of the country too.