Anyone seen rice noodles or mung beans in Santiago?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I'm looking to make the ultimate pad thai dish and Bravo doesn't have either of these. Noodles are obvious but the mung beans are for sprouting as a delicious topping to my pad thai! Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I know you said Santiago, but I have purchased rice noodles (thin, not the wide ones for pad thai) at Tropical in Puerto Plata. Can check next time I am there if they have the wide ones. Worse comes to worse, Metro or Caribe pack goes from PP to Santiago.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I know you said Santiago, but I have purchased rice noodles (thin, not the wide ones for pad thai) at Tropical in Puerto Plata. Can check next time I am there if they have the wide ones. Worse comes to worse, Metro or Caribe pack goes from PP to Santiago.

I actually use the thin ones for pad thai and thanks a lot for the information!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
even jose luis in POP has them and i got to like that stuff :)

one quick tip i learnt: boil the water; turn off the stove and wait for bubbles to go down; immerse noodles in hot water; within 2 minutes they are done (thin ones). and they stay nice. not mushy at all.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Something deep inside was praying Koreano would come on and tell me about some awesome Asian market in El Embrujo II or something! Maybe in the future!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yeah, the rice noodles are the thin ones, not flat like in a Thai restaurant.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
even jose luis in POP has them and i got to like that stuff :)

one quick tip i learnt: boil the water; turn off the stove and wait for bubbles to go down; immerse noodles in hot water; within 2 minutes they are done (thin ones). and they stay nice. not mushy at all.

D,

I use them for a Filipino dish called pancit. I just soften them in water then stir fry with the seafood, meats, seasonings and veggies belong in it.

SultanofSwing

Jun 22, 2012
They sell the pad thai noodles in Playero. We use the canned bean sprouts and they work great. You can get this as well at the Playero.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Something deep inside was praying Koreano would come on and tell me about some awesome Asian market in El Embrujo II or something! Maybe in the future!!!
Are you implying that I should open one up?
LOL...
My wife does make decent kimchi and few meat dishes. ..(ask waytogo on kimchi)
Maybe in the future....

Sorry but I can't help much on rice noodle..
I have not had any decent pad thai or pho in looooooooooong time..
Now that you mentioned it. I want the real one Not the instant one...

May 29, 2006
Stone Bowl Bi Bim Bap~ now THAT'S some good Korean food. No noodles though. Rice sizzling in a super hot stone bowl with mixed veggies on top and sometimes a raw egg. It's hot enough that it will cook as you eat it. I like it with lots of the chili garlic paste..

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Stone Bowl Bi Bim Bap~ now THAT'S some good Korean food. No noodles though. Rice sizzling in a super hot stone bowl with mixed veggies on top and sometimes a raw egg. It's hot enough that it will cook as you eat it. I like it with lots of the chili garlic paste..

Its very simple to make but making that marinated veggies require time...
I really miss this...
[video=youtube;ongfKvH-ads]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ongfKvH-ads[/video]