Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31,592
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default sending a tiny package from DR to chicago

    long story short a friend in chicago is getting married. she's asking me to buy her in POP a larimar/amber ring set in silver. this is all sentimental, she got two matching rings for them when they first claimed to have feeling for each other, but her BF lost his ring. so she needs a replacement before she has to resorts to violence and tattoos a permanent replacement on his finger (apparently the man is rather forgetful)

    i need to know how the heck do i get this gem out of DR. the value of the ring - apart from nostalgia, romance and emotions - is about 50 dollars. so not a lot. but i am told to expect to pay the same - if not more - to ship it with a courier. ouch!

    is there any other option for me? she seems to be shocked there is no functioning post in DR. well, there is, in a way, but not sure whether sending jewelry - no matter how cheap - is a good idea. and whether it'd work. or at what price.

    any advice?

  2. #2
    Gold
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    5,686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Fedex or UPS would be reliable choices, but yes it will cost you an arm and a leg (see below)


    * Denotes required field Clear all fields
    1. Ship From / To
    Help Edit
    <spacer type="block"></spacer>
    <spacer type="block"></spacer>
    From: Puerta plata, Dominican Republic | To: Chicago, 60606, United States on May 25, 2013.
    2. Package and Shipment Details
    Help Edit
    <spacer type="block"></spacer>
    <spacer type="block"></spacer>
    Package Details: 1 package, 0.5 lbs, FedEx Envelope, 0.00 USD.
    3. Rates and Transit Times
    Help
    Amounts are shown in USD
    Select Delivery Date/Time Service Rates
    <input type="radio" name="service" value="66"> FedEx International First 147.97
    <input type="radio" name="service" value="16"> FedEx International Priority 89.56
    <input type="radio" name="service" value="46"> FedEx International Economy 110.40



    I think your best bet is to see if anyone is flying back to The US and give it to them to ship from The US where the rates should be significantly lower.

  3. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31,592
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    wait, the rates are in dollars?! 147.97? DOLLARS? (jaw drops on the floor)

  4. #4
    DR1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Find someone who is travelling to the US and ask them to mail it for you from there!

    Admin
    DR1.com

  5. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31,592
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    DHL on their website quotes just below 2000 pesos...

  6. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31,592
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    AE, i sort of think it is an abuse. ask someone to send it means go to the post office, spend time in waiting and so on. this is a lot to ask from a complete stranger...

    let's see what a friend says... things do not look great so far...

  7. #7
    Gold
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    5,686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    AE, i sort of think it is an abuse. ask someone to send it means go to the post office, spend time in waiting and so on. this is a lot to ask from a complete stranger...

    let's see what a friend says... things do not look great so far...
    Actually is not that much trouble nowadays. You can order and do almost everything online...they bring the box to your home, you put the stuff in it and they pick it up.

  8. #8
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    long story short a friend in chicago is getting married. she's asking me to buy her in POP a larimar/amber ring set in silver. this is all sentimental, she got two matching rings for them when they first claimed to have feeling for each other, but her BF lost his ring. so she needs a replacement before she has to resorts to violence and tattoos a permanent replacement on his finger (apparently the man is rather forgetful)

    i need to know how the heck do i get this gem out of DR. the value of the ring - apart from nostalgia, romance and emotions - is about 50 dollars. so not a lot. but i am told to expect to pay the same - if not more - to ship it with a courier. ouch!

    is there any other option for me? she seems to be shocked there is no functioning post in DR. well, there is, in a way, but not sure whether sending jewelry - no matter how cheap - is a good idea. and whether it'd work. or at what price.

    any advice?
    With 9000+ plus posts, you must have read enough posts on sending stuff out of the DR to not be surprised.

    Your options are to take it yourself or find somebody going to the US who will take and mail it there.

    Why not start a thread asking who is going to the US and willing to take it and mail it.

  9. Likes Rattus_Rattus liked this post
  10. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    39,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suarezn View Post
    Actually is not that much trouble nowadays. You can order and do almost everything online...they bring the box to your home, you put the stuff in it and they pick it up.
    Shipping small things from the DR is expensive.

    I did try the Dominican postal system to ship a small quantity of green coffee to the states using USPS Priority mail. That was the best price, like (from memory, it could be more or less) $RD500 to ship 2 pounds...but it took 2 weeks and I just don't trust the Dominican end of things. I doubt green coffee was attractive to steal, but jewelery would be.

    Shipping via EPS or Business Mail was dog-choking expensive.

    It's a fundamental problem here. It's easy but a little pricy to ship things in. Doable, but US$4-5 a pound. Much worse shipping out.

    If anyone can develop a solid business plan for shipping to the states at the same price as shipping in, you'd have a solid potential business...

  11. Likes mountainannie liked this post
  12. #10
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    D,

    If it can wait until the end of June, I am returning to the US then. It is NO problem for me to ship it for you from there. Plus, we're both in Puerto Plata, so easy to get to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •