Gate opener remote.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Since out watchy no longer allowed to open the gate for anybody, I am looking into buying spare remote control for our gate. I've looked at Amazon.com and I want to buy one that I can leave it at the visor not hooked up to key chain. I want to carry the key chain remote they provide with me and have stationary one in the car. So does anyone which garage door opener would work here in DR? Would Liftmaster work here in DR? Any cheaper ones out there?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Most garage door openers are programmed by opening them up and setting the switches so they match the reciever on the gate/door. Is the original installer still around? Or whoever does the gate maintenance for your complex? They should be able to help.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have cheap, no name remote controls that can serve up to 4 gates, they were programmed by miesposo himself. i understand not all remotes can be easily programmed so you'd have to heck with the gate installer - or at least search for info on the motor brand.
maybe you can ask for another control to open the gate and simply keep it in the car?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Koreano, we ran into this problem when we visited my BIL in SD. Gate down, guard can't open it. Call the BIL, who walks out to the gate. Wife and son are both out somewhere with the two cars. We had to wait down the street until one of them came home to open the gate and let themselves - and us - inside. PITA.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Most garage door openers are programmed by opening them up and setting the switches so they match the reciever on the gate/door. Is the original installer still around? Or whoever does the gate maintenance for your complex? They should be able to help.

There's maintenance guy here and he wants RD$2000 for a replacement?!?!..
And we probably get same key chain (pic below) SEA Type Smart remote....
We already have one of this and I want that I can place on our visor so we will have less bulk when we carry our key.

sea.jpg

Buying and finding SEA brand remote compatible replacement can't be this hard. I am about to order a SSD drive and update our home medicine inventory and I want to order garage opener that is easily programmed and compatible with current remote.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Koreano, we ran into this problem when we visited my BIL in SD. Gate down, guard can't open it. Call the BIL, who walks out to the gate. Wife and son are both out somewhere with the two cars. We had to wait down the street until one of them came home to open the gate and let themselves - and us - inside. PITA.
Yes it has just became PITA. I brought a company car one day and we went out with this car. When we went out we luckily followed another car and coming in? I had to walk in to my home, get the remote, walk out, get in to car, and drive in. Pure PITA...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the gate can be opened without the remote, manually. we do that when power outage goes over 16 hours and we need to save on the usage. the motor can be opened with a small, plastic key, kinda similar to the tool used for unscrewing bolts and nuts. then you unwind the door opening mechanism, open the door by pushing. then you close the gate and wind up the mechanism again so it could be opened with the remote. we have two "keys" like that, one stays home all the time...

it pays off to have few of those remotes, btw. i have one with the car and another with home keys. so there is always one at home, even if someone takes my capa...

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
There are some self-learning models. You just point an already programmed control to the new one in learning mode and it "learns" the infrared signal it should use.

However, I must warn you that leaving the remote in your car defeats the purpose, as many thieves enter a parking area by foot looking to steal a car. Having the remote inside the car facilitates things on the way out driving your car. Bad idea.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
There are some self-learning models. You just point an already programmed control to the new one in learning mode and it "learns" the infrared signal it should use.

However, I must warn you that leaving the remote in your car defeats the purpose, as many thieves enter a parking area by foot looking to steal a car. Having the remote inside the car facilitates things on the way out driving your car. Bad idea.
We live in a small community of 20 houses and our house is like 20 feet away from watchy. I doubt no one is stealing our car.

We feed our watchy well.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
the gate can be opened without the remote, manually. we do that when power outage goes over 16 hours and we need to save on the usage. the motor can be opened with a small, plastic key, kinda similar to the tool used for unscrewing bolts and nuts. then you unwind the door opening mechanism, open the door by pushing. then you close the gate and wind up the mechanism again so it could be opened with the remote. we have two "keys" like that, one stays home all the time...

it pays off to have few of those remotes, btw. i have one with the car and another with home keys. so there is always one at home, even if someone takes my capa...

Our door can be opened manually as well.

Dominican logic says when power is out, everyone is allowed to enter without remote but with power, everyone need remote...

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
There is a retailer in SD in Calle Mella just before Plaza Lama ( Mega Centro direction), he has all different remotes, helpful chap, did my 2 remotes for 2000 (both), and programmed them for me using the original bust one which he rigged up to sent signal to his receiver equipment, and then used his receiver to copy frequency to new remotes. Both working a treat.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
code copy remotes like US$8 - 10 ebay, takes like 3 weeks to arrive from UK, but I keep several spares for the community gate and the house gate.....

Tjhey sell here for RD$1,500 - 2,000.00!!

g'luck

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Koreano, when I order from "Amazon", "Walmart", cigar stores, outside of the DR to be shipped here , I keep the total order below $200 Dollars.
If the total is over $200 you will most likely be charged customs fees. Below $200, I have never paid.
I never left a "Gate Opener" in my van.
And even put a padlock on the gate at night!
Too easy for a thief to use your remote to open the gate,and then steal your car.
And, as "dv" says, they gate can be "opened" with a key in the motor.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Koreano, when I order from "Amazon", "Walmart", cigar stores, outside of the DR to be shipped here , I keep the total order below $200 Dollars.
If the total is over $200 you will most likely be charged customs fees. Below $200, I have never paid.
I never left a "Gate Opener" in my van.
And even put a padlock on the gate at night!
Too easy for a thief to use your remote to open the gate,and then steal your car.
And, as "dv" says, they gate can be "opened" with a key in the motor.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Thanks CC....
Well noted on Amazon and everything is well planned out.
And regardless of people against this, I am going to get it for my car. I have thought about this and I believe my house is safe to get a visor held door opener.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My friend gave his "Wachy" "Doggy Bags" from the finest restaurants in SD for over 10 years.
He spent about 1 week a month here in the DR.
One day when he was not here, his neighbor's maid, who went in 1 day a week, heard a "Sound" in his guest bedroom.
When she went to investigate, the "Well Fed Wachy" was sawing through the bars on the window.
You need to know, that, the more you give a Dominican, the more they expect!
Up to, and including, stealing what they "Expect" from you!
Over 27 years ago, an American guy, married to THE, Mella family, told me that, "The better you treat a Dominican, the worse they will treat you"!!!!!
I thought he was "NUTS",................THEN!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
If you already decided to keep the remote inside the car, you should make sure you don't leave any phone bill or anything that has your address on it. Sometimes when a car gets stolen, they want to go to the owner's house if they liked the address they saw. And the remote inside the car also works to get in...

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to make you paranoid. I just want to warn people about things that happened to people I know. Actually the going to the stolen car's owner house happened to me!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
And regardless of people against this, I am going to get it for my car. I have thought about this and I believe my house is safe to get a visor held door opener.

maybe just get a normal gate opener and keep it inside the car? in the glove box maybe? personally i think having one stuck to you car defies the purpose of the control being a movable object. i'd be worried someone will take advantage of this setup. not sure how the programmability works: would someone be able to program their remote control using the one you have inside the car? then you'll be at risk every time you leave the car being washed/fixed. whereas with normal remote control you can easily detach it from the key chain or take it with you when someone else is handling your car...