Pot holes, craters and man made obstacles.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Coming off La Caleta slip road onto the main highway into the city last night I lost the two from wheels of the car in these man made holes. They opened up the slip road so we can now get onto the highway without going right up to GDG. I got out to inspe t the damage and noticed these holes were left behind after they had removed the steel barriers that separate the roads, these are perfect rectangular holes in a perfect line and obviously made by a cutting machine of some description, but they removed the barriers and just left these holes uncovered, there is about 10-12 of them.
I noticed that there was about 4 other cars pulled into the side repairing blown wheels, now if a bike hits these then he will be flung into the centre of the highway traffic, it is a huge deal if you think about the cost this has on people's vehicles not to mention the amount of families using this highway with kids on their bikes, there is going to be death here if there already isn't.

But thinking about this, got me wondering. These are engineers leftovers, but how exactly do regular pot holes come about, I was trying to figure it out, I mean, where does it go? The roads off Las Americas right now are really bad with holes, Las Americas itself is the best it's been but the slip roads are a mess, where does the material from a pot hole actually go, and how, they can't all sink as there are too many, that would mean our roads are as airy as an Aero chocolate bar.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I believe the combination of rain and cars driving through them washes the material onto the streets and eventually into the gutters.
I wouldnt be surprised if some are manmade just to **** people off and reduce traffic. Sometimes they are used as a toll where they collect money as you pass and even say the collection is to repair the holes. This last example is happening on Prats Ramirez enroute to Ave. Luperon.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Poor quality road building to start with combined with rains, and very heavy overloaded trucks. Operative words that caught my attention in op post -"at night". After having a few near deadly encounters with other cars, horses, cows and unlit vehicles I do my best to never ever drive at night in the DR. Would you have seen this in time to avoid it in the day time?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Would you have seen this in time to avoid it in the day time?

depends how fast I was going, these things don't actually look like holes as they are cleanly cut holes for the barrier, they looked like filled in holes or just black painted marks. It isn't very clear at all actually but they are very difficult to avoid even if you do see them. If you imagine a barrier line and then a slip road running in, the holes run at a diagonal so what you don't hit with your front wheels are very probably going the hit with at least a back wheel.