Buying a washing machine in NC

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I bought a Whirpool in Coripio in POP in March. It was a basic model and cost @23,000RD. Coripio offers free delivery and set up and will repair the machine for 3 years

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are numerous washing machines in the stores that are non-Dominican style. As far as American style my wife's cousin has one for sale in Jarabacoa.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
You will find them at Lunares (across from Ocean Dream) in Cabarete, as well as at la Sirena in PP

Bob K

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I would not recommend buying one from Pappaterra in GH! Their service sucks. That said, they do have these washing machines.

I do suggest Linares (Cabarete) and their is a nice store in Sabaneta de Yasica (forgot the name, north side of road, huge, can't miss it) where I've seen unstacked units as well as stacked units. I've purchased furniture from them and their service was perfect!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If possible , get the front load, not top load.

Front load uses significantly less water and power and spin dries the load much better.
40% less water, they say

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
La Sirena has a decent selection, we bought a Whirlpool washer there. If I had it to do over again, I'd get one with a regular dial instead of the electronic buttons.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
listen to me carefully here: buy a top load (american style), large. with no more than two knob dials. no electronics. you will thank me later...
i would love to have a normal front loading european washing machine but they do not do all that well here. in case of water issues (too low pressure, no power to run the pump and son on) you cannot fill them up. a top loader can be filled up using buckets, easy. anything with too complicated electronic board gets fried easily, simple dials will keep on working.
go for big because you will very soon see how much washing you need to do here: towels, bedding, normal clothing. one sweats like a pig and things need to be changed frequently. there is only two of us here and i do minimum of two loads a week, sometimes as many as four.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Be sure to read DV8's comments. The least complicated appliances are the best since repairs are trial & error and lack of sophisticated parts such as mother boards.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Be sure to read DV8's comments. The least complicated appliances are the best since repairs are trial & error and lack of sophisticated parts such as mother boards.

Really, it depends on the circumstances...

On a well - 40%less water..... front load

Solar - front load

In town, public water and electric.... top load -- old can be good

I still will join the front line / load group

I remember have having this conversation when the first horseless carriage to town...... don't buy one, it'll break down all the time, the horse won't....

I refused then........... just stubborn, I guess.. them new fangled things don't scare me much

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Really, it depends on the circumstances...

On a well - 40%less water..... front load

Solar - front load

In town, public water and electric.... top load -- old can be good

I still will join the front line / load group

I remember have having this conversation when the first horseless carriage to town...... don't buy one, it'll break down all the time, the horse won't....

I refused then........... just stubborn, I guess.. them new fangled things don't scare me much

@ Webby I am not @ the age where I am too concerned about my load direction.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Your load direction wasn't on the list.....
upload or download ??

Sideload? Which side??

Luckily for you,, rear load was not discussed

The one we got from PS was electronic, WE WILL NOT BE GETTING anything with electronics. Will do top load with least dials as possible!! As much as I would love to have a fancy washing machine we are lucky enough to not have the DR style one. I will take whatever works best in our area.
I thought top load would be best for our area? We live in LAs Canas, Gaspar Hernandez.

The DR washing machine made me crazy and I never once used it. I don't know how anyone can deal with those! It's way more work and time. Crazy making!!!

We are getting solar power but not for a while....

Last edited: