From Today's Sosua News

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
[h=5]Residents of the neighborhood La Uni?n complained about it before, young people moped racing on the public road.[/h] [h=5][/h]
[h=5]Now it was the day everybody was afraid of and everybody warned about, two mopeds with passengers collided just past La Uni?n at full speed with each other. Result: two dead and two seriously injured. Both drivers survived the accident. Of course they rode without a helmet because driving with a helmet is not tough. Of course, you have to appear tough and fearless at any cost. When will the authorities finally take strict action against these speed demons? Even innocent passers-by run great risks with this racing.[/h]

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
They both should be charged with manslaughter (or the DR equivalent)! The drivers are the ones at the controls, they are the most to blame for these senseless deaths. Maybe 10-15 years in the Dominican prison system will help remind them of this while (hopefully) reminding others not to do it!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
This has been going on for years all over the DR. They race for money and status. Does anyone really think that a few complaints are going to change anything? The highways are the Dominican Republics form of population control. Boys will be boys. They really get those silly motos going eh! I have seen them over 70 mph on flats and faster if they have a bit of down hill stretch. The racers like the highway past La Union as it has a nice downhill section where they are able to really exceed the engineering limits of their motos.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Residents of the neighborhood La Uni?n complained about it before, young people moped racing on the public road.

Now it was the day everybody was afraid of and everybody warned about, two mopeds with passengers collided just past La Uni?n at full speed with each other. Result: two dead and two seriously injured. Both drivers survived the accident. Of course they rode without a helmet because driving with a helmet is not tough. Of course, you have to appear tough and fearless at any cost. When will the authorities finally take strict action against these speed demons? Even innocent passers-by run great risks with this racing.
Take strict action?

Why?

Seems the gene pool has been partially cleansed.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This has been going on for years all over the DR. They race for money and status. Does anyone really think that a few complaints are going to change anything? The highways are the Dominican Republics form of population control. Boys will be boys. They really get those silly motos going eh! I have seen them over 70 mph on flats and faster if they have a bit of down hill stretch. The racers like the highway past La Union as it has a nice downhill section where they are able to really exceed the engineering limits of their motos.
I can't begin to count the number of kids who are compelled to pass our group on V-Stroms. They go ripping by, barely in control and waaaay past the ability of their machines to do any emergency maneuvers, going 60-70 mph, doing wheelies, etc. Just to show they are complete Bad a$$es on their Chinese 125cc deathmoto.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Last time I was returning from Santiago to SD, there were many of these guys on the high way.
I took a lot of chances on a motorcycle when I was young, but these guys go way beyond taking "Chances".
It looks like they have a "Death Wish", they don't.
They are just too stupid to really understand the high risk, physiology, or the "geometry" of having an accident!
I don't wish them dead :dead::dead::dead:, their mother loves them!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I just want them to be paralized from the waist down!
Most likely removed from the "gene pool", and their mother can change their diapers again.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Last time I was returning from Santiago to SD, there were many of these guys on the high way.
I took a lot of chances on a motorcycle when I was young, but these guys go way beyond taking "Chances".
It looks like they have a "Death Wish", they don't.
They are just too stupid to really understand the high risk, physiology, or the "geometry" of having an accident!
I don't wish them dead :dead::dead::dead:, their mother loves them!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I just want them to be paralized from the waist down!
Most likely removed from the "gene pool", and their mother can change their diapers again.
There's an old saying "They fell out of the tree onto a motocycle"

Wuwu

Oct 3, 2012
Problem is that innocent bystanders, motorists and passengers are at risk as well. If they were on some out of the way track, then sure, let them do whatever they want.

Let them race and die. I have no issues with this.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Just found out that the brother of the woman who does the cleaning at the condominium where I live was one of the victims. What I understand is that after the crash the other motorcycle rode over his head.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Worse are the rich teenagers that race cars on avenues like Lincoln and of course police won't do anything as their parents are most likely generals, colonels, etc...

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Just found out that the brother of the woman who does the cleaning at the condominium where I live was one of the victims. What I understand is that after the crash the other motorcycle rode over his head.

sorry to hear that Ken.

every day you take your life into risk on the roads here, racing or not. Life can be taken away in an instant. It is such a great shame that the kids do this.

I knew a kid from cangrejo who also died racing a bike. very sad.

dave

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
They both should be charged with manslaughter (or the DR equivalent)! The drivers are the ones at the controls, they are the most to blame for these senseless deaths. Maybe 10-15 years in the Dominican prison system will help remind them of this while (hopefully) reminding others not to do it!

Sadly the Dominican equivalent of "manslaughter" is how much money do you have? or how connected are you? and we will decide your fait.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I think that the moto kids do not realize just how much it hurts to fall off at high speed. I have seen them in the public hospitals and believe me the ones that do not die really suffer. No paid meds in a public hospital.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Frank12 better not see that photo, otherwise we will see him doing a hand stand on his moto facing backwards blindfolded holding a chainsaw

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I think that the moto kids do not realize just how much it hurts to fall off at high speed.

One might think so, but with the graphic displays of injuries and deaths in all media, as well as what one sees all too often just by living day to day in the DR... I think it has to be chalked up to thinking "I'm better than they are", the indestructible feeling one has when they are young, sheer stupidity, effects of alcohol or a combination of the above.

It applies to all socio-economic groups. By the time someone here is in their mid-teens they know or have seen first hand what car and moto accidents can do.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And don't forget that if one of these Darwin Awards contestants happens to hit you while you are driving, you are "responsible" and will go to jail while "the issues" ($$$$) are discussed.