Giving bribe would have been better....

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The joy of buying a car in DR = total headache.
I bought a car from dr1 member and all was done properly through a lawyer. A contract is required by a lawyer with a notary stamp. So the lawyer takes a week to make the contract. I could not complain as he was not charging me. I did have to pay 1500 pesos to the notary person who worked with him. then I had to go get in line to get my car inspected by police department in order to give me the clearance to transfer the car to my name. They have to check if the car is not stolen. The place was right near my home so i go there. On the internet it says the plan piloto (police certificate) is open till 4pm but when i got there at 1pm the inspection area was closed. luckily the inspection officer was still there talking to a police major and a couple of women. I was offered to have his attention and help for a bribe by another person from the department. I refused as I was sure i could handle the situation all by myself. i talked the inspection officer into checking my car. he did and I properly deposited the papers inside the police department office. I was told to come back monday (it was friday afternoon). Then a policeman offered to get me the certificate the same day for 1000 pesos bribe. I refused him as the department of motor vehicle (GDII) was almost closed and nothing could be done by monday anyway. In any case i still had to wait there 2 hours. i was working at the time so i couldn't spare 2 hours wait anyway. then at the window the person who took my papers also offered to expedite the process for 500 pesos and certificate would be in my hand within 1-2 hours. again i could not wait and by this time I was disgusted with their bribe demands. i made my mind to not give anyone a bribe.
Comes monday and i didn't go as I had my hands full at office. i figured I will give them extra time and on tuesday (today) i will just pick it up and go straight to DGII office to transfer the title to my name. wrong!
I was told today that my certificate is still not ready and the person who signs the certificate is not in office. I would have to come back after 2pm.
damn, now I have a feeling I will only get my certificate if I pay up the bribe. this is something I should have done from day one. So now I have to go back there again (3rd time) to get my papers. I think I will just pay the bribe this time.
Lesson learnt: if you can't get it the legal way, then pay a bribe.
AZB

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I'm sure it was the best option for you, to buy the car from the fellow DR1 member.
However, that's why when people ask who is better to buy from or sell to, an individual or a dealer, I always say go for the dealer. It's too much legal hassle to buy or sell a car in DR. I rather pay a little more (or get a little less) and have the dealer take care of all the paperwork. As long as I can afford it, I will never buy a car from a "civilian" again.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
The joy of buying a car in DR = total headache.
I bought a car from dr1 member and all was done properly through a lawyer. A contract is required by a lawyer with a notary stamp. So the lawyer takes a week to make the contract. I could not complain as he was not charging me. I did have to pay 1500 pesos to the notary person who worked with him. then I had to go get in line to get my car inspected by police department in order to give me the clearance to transfer the car to my name. They have to check if the car is not stolen. The place was right near my home so i go there. On the internet it says the plan piloto (police certificate) is open till 4pm but when i got there at 1pm the inspection area was closed. luckily the inspection officer was still there talking to a police major and a couple of women. I was offered to have his attention and help for a bribe by another person from the department. I refused as I was sure i could handle the situation all by myself. i talked the inspection officer into checking my car. he did and I properly deposited the papers inside the police department office. I was told to come back monday (it was friday afternoon). Then a policeman offered to get me the certificate the same day for 1000 pesos bribe. I refused him as the department of motor vehicle (GDII) was almost closed and nothing could be done by monday anyway. In any case i still had to wait there 2 hours. i was working at the time so i couldn't spare 2 hours wait anyway. then at the window the person who took my papers also offered to expedite the process for 500 pesos and certificate would be in my hand within 1-2 hours. again i could not wait and by this time I was disgusted with their bribe demands. i made my mind to not give anyone a bribe.
Comes monday and i didn't go as I had my hands full at office. i figured I will give them extra time and on tuesday (today) i will just pick it up and go straight to DGII office to transfer the title to my name. wrong!
I was told today that my certificate is still not ready and the person who signs the certificate is not in office. I would have to come back after 2pm.
damn, now I have a feeling I will only get my certificate if I pay up the bribe. this is something I should have done from day one. So now I have to go back there again (3rd time) to get my papers. I think I will just pay the bribe this time.
Lesson learnt: if you can't get it the legal way, then pay a bribe.
AZB

It took you that many years to learn that lesson?
The officers probably were the brothers/cousins/uncles of the women you like to call chopa and they saw you coming from miles away. ;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
It took you that many years to learn that lesson?
The officers probably were the brothers/cousins/uncles of the women you like to call chopa and they saw you coming from miles away. ;)

i can usually handle anything here and able to talk any government employee into helping me out. this time it didn't work this way. i was there friday afternoon and i didn't need the certificate the same day as the DGII was almost closed anyway. I had to wait till monday to transfer the car; besides the police station is 3 minutes from my apartment.
In any case, lesson learnt. I will pay up next time.
AZB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Let everyone who reads "AZB's" words, Take A Lesson!!!!!!!!
That's why we live here.
You can buy "Anything, and "Anyone" with the right amount of money!
The problem is always to not overpay!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
AZB, next time you go, carry a "Pressure Cooker"!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The root of problem is the detectives at plan piloto make less than RD8,000 a month, even for guys with 15 years of experience.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The root of problem is the detectives at plan piloto make less than RD8,000 a month, even for guys with 15 years of experience.

true, they have to take bribes. In some ways, I miss santiago. I had everyone one in my hands there. In capital, I know no one in any government department.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm sure it was the best option for you, to buy the car from the fellow DR1 member.
However, that's why when people ask who is better to buy from or sell to, an individual or a dealer, I always say go for the dealer.

All depends on how good the deal is :) When you can save US$3,000 over the dealer price, a few hours of hassle is worth it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
AND, a car driven by "someone" from "DR1" has had the oil changed, and the air filter left on the motor, and no "Presidente's
spilled all over the interior!
OH!, and did I mention a "Clear Title"?????
THERE is NO WORD in the dominican vocabulary for "Maintenance" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
All depends on how good the deal is :) When you can save US$3,000 over the dealer price, a few hours of hassle is worth it.

only 3000 miles and the car smells like new from factory. Yes its worth it. The previous owner is responsible person who hardly used his new car. thanks god the car fell into my hands. I am happy.
AZB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo, in the "World according To chip", low pay becomes an excuse for poor job performance????
You really CAN find a poor excuse for every dominican character flaw!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You aint done. I want to hear what happens when you go back after 2 pm. When you give up and pay the bribe be sure and fess up to those who told you so!!! Im sure its a good car. When it comes to paying money AZBs Scotch and Jewish heritage pops up, he loves "a deal".

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
btw, that "new from the factory smell' comes in a spray can. The used car dealers use it all the time.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
AND, a car driven by "someone" from "DR1" has had the oil changed, and the air filter left on the motor, and no "Presidente's
spilled all over the interior!
OH!, and did I mention a "Clear Title"?????
THERE is NO WORD in the dominican vocabulary for "Maintenance" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Okay then. Are there any DR1ers who are selling a passenger van or minivan, preferably standard trans but not a must, that rises to the "maintenance" standards described by Cris.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just 'Lo siento' your way thru the office handing out 500 peso bills.

You'll be fine and will a whole new group friends

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Ever been to Jamaica? There is nothing more annoying than when a hotel clerk tells you "don't worry, mon!!! Soon come!!!" when you desperately need something. Except when a Dominican makes the equivalent statement in spanish. Then you know it will never happen unless you get them to move their asses by paying a bribe.

And if you're going to pay, try to make someone work for it at least. Next time ask the police officer or whoever it is if they have a "prima que anda buscando". It will probably be his sister or wife, but that's usually how it works.

Get something out of it at least.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You aint done. I want to hear what happens when you go back after 2 pm. When you give up and pay the bribe be sure and fess up to those who told you so!!! Im sure its a good car. When it comes to paying money AZBs Scotch and Jewish heritage pops up, he loves "a deal".

i already said I would have paid if I had known in advance the outcome. I never said I would never pay. I, actually, prefer to pay if I know in advance the legal channel is far more difficult.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
btw, that "new from the factory smell' comes in a spray can. The used car dealers use it all the time.

dude stop being smart. you are just another poster here and don't think you know anything more then what we all know.
By the way, I know the car and the owner very well. I know when he bought the car and how often he drove it. its a new car and hardly ever been used. The guy works outside the country and the car was in parking lot at all times. I know this because I saw the car everyday there.