US Embassy Cleaning Out Their Outbox

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I got this message today from the American Citizen's Services at the US Embassy.

If you are planning on setting the wayback machine for May 16, 2008 consider this message urgent. :laugh:

FROM: American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit, U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo.

Following is a Warden?s Message being transmitted for your information.

This message is being issued to alert American citizens that on Friday, May 16th 2008 the Dominican Republic will hold its presidential elections. In the weeks and days leading up to the balloting the Embassy of the United States strongly urges all American citizens to carefully consider their movements and avoid political demonstrations and other activities.

As the national campaign draws to its close, the Embassy expects that there will be ongoing political rallies, public demonstrations and possibly calls for labor strikes. While these activities are generally expected to be peaceful, the potential exists for any such event to turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Some demonstrations supporting candidates can be large and well organized but others, particularly those that are smaller, and more spontaneous, are less predictable. These events, especially if not previously cleared with authorities, could result in conflicts with law enforcement personnel.

The government has declared election-day itself, Friday, May 16, to be a nation-wide holiday in order to facilitate voter turnout. This circumstance may provide greater facility as well for demonstrations and similar activity. Travelers should plan their routes carefully on this day after monitoring local media, in order to avoid areas where rallies or political demonstrations are being staged. Americans who find themselves in the area of a demonstration are advised to exercise extreme caution and depart the area as soon as possible. Americans in hotels near demonstrations are advised to remain indoors until their conclusion.
For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department?s Internet web site at Welcome to Travel.State.Gov where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, and Travel Alerts can be found. Up to date security information can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the United States, or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00am to 8:00pm EST, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
American citizens traveling or residing overseas are encouraged to register with the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate on the State Department?s travel registration website at https://travelregistration.state.gov.
For any emergencies involving American citizens, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy. The Consular Section Embassy is located at the corner of Cesar Nicolas Penson Street and M?ximo G?mez Avenue, Santo Domingo, D.R.; telephone 809-731-4294; after hours emergency telephone 809-221-2171; ACS unit fax 809-689-6142; e-mail acssantodom@state.gov; web page Inicio | Embajada de los Estados Unidos en Santo Domingo, Rep?blica Dominicana.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I got that, too. I didn't click on any of the links, afraid that it was phishing or that their server had a virus.

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
I got that too. It cleared up any lingering questions I might have had about what went wrong in Benghazi.

Was the storm alert that followed a mistake as well?