Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how to stay safe - tips from dominican police

great article in today's diario libre on safety in DR with some suggestion as made by the dominican police:
    Policía: Consejos para evitar un asalto - DiarioLibre.com

to keep safe:
    if using public transport take a brief look at other passengers and pass on the ride if you don't feel comfortable with them;
    avoid using your mobile phone on the street;
    upon leaving a bank check the tires: they may be pierced by robbers who them plan on attacking you as you stop later on;
    take precautions while using ATM: observe what info appears on the screen, do not enter your PIN repeatedly;
    when parking a car do not leave any of your belonging in plain sight;
    if traveling to the areas you do not know well or consider dangerous use a trusted taxi services;
    watch people's faces so you can describe the attackers with more precision;
    do not stop on the road, if you have to (emergency) try to pull over at the gas station, colmado and so on;
    when buying a car check it with the police;
    change your simple car keys to the keys with a chip;
    don't park is secluded area;
    when arriving home late at night do not enter the property immediately, drive up and down the road to check if there is anyone following you;
    if while driving you get hit in the back do not stop in the middle of nowhere, drive until you see the police/amet or at least until a busy, well lit place;

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Good tips, all of them.
    Don't get the "get a key with a chip" part. As far as I know, you car is either factory equipped with it or it isn't.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmm... maybe i simplified a bit too much... for our car we have two keys: one is a simple copy, it will open the door only, in case i shut the key inside. the other is codified and only this one will start the car.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    hmmm... maybe i simplified a bit too much... for our car we have two keys: one is a simple copy, it will open the door only, in case i shut the key inside. the other is codified and only this one will start the car.
    We have the 'plain' key for our Venza too - it's called a valet key, but it will also start the car. We only use it for valet parking, when we don't want to leave all our keys with them.

Admin
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

They forgot to include, "dont stop if a cop waves you over."

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

in a mitsubishi montero we had a while ago we had two keys: one plain metal to open the door. the other codified to start the car and switch off the alarm. when we went to the beach miesposo would leave codified key inside the car and put a metal key in his swimming trunks. then we would open the door of the car and have 30 second or whatever time to get the normal key and switch off the alarm before it would go off.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent dv8. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by jabejuventus; 05-29-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Add comment

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Hahahah, the most dangerous criminals here are Policia Nacional, especially their "patrols" with 2 cops on one moto. And now they tell us how to stay safe, very funny.

9. Likes pollogringo, nordique, Celt202, waytogo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I strongly suspect that the article, which undeniably does contain good advice, was not written by the police who patrol two to a moto, or even their superiors.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't stand it when it doesn't let me like the posts!!! Good article and tips but the best is don't stop when the cops try to pull you over ;-)

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast