Tilapia - Fish Farm(s) - Location/Contact in DR...

hueman

Jun 21, 2012
Hi there,
I read some old posts on here which contained some contact info regarding a Fish Farm in Nagua that possibly has or had Tilapia fish. I am desperately seeking to make contact with this or any other farm that breeds this species of fish.
Please, if anyone has any info, let me know.
Thank you kindly :)

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
I can supply a few here in Santo Domingo, as my starter tank is not yet ready and I have a couple new broods, maybe 200+ in each, far to many to allow to stay....in and grow out

otherwise I can put you contact with the guy who handles bigger quantities here in SD and Santiago. Heard of Camorones in Nagua not tilapia.

g'luck

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Do you know what breed of Talapia your contact has in SD ?

May 29, 2006
It would be great if this really took off on the island. I esp like systems that also include hydroponic gardening in the set up. The Chinese have been doing fish farming for over 1000 years and you can also include raising ducks as part of it. From what I've seen on YouTube, you can make this into a money making hobby for under $1000 start up. I've got a friend doing Tilapia with an herb garden with a 30 gallon tank.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
FYI my buddy had a large very professional set up in La Canela outside Santiago but as soon as the fish got big enough they were stolen and they also cut up and took parts of the liner!

Taylor

Jan 28, 2005
It would be great if this really took off on the island. I esp like systems that also include hydroponic gardening in the set up. The Chinese have been doing fish farming for over 1000 years and you can also include raising ducks as part of it. From what I've seen on YouTube, you can make this into a money making hobby for under $1000 start up. I've got a friend doing Tilapia with an herb garden with a 30 gallon tank.

we are trying to to just that - with aquaponics. so far we have 3 x 250 gallon tanks going well, and we are about to fill up our 1000 gallon tank - just need to source enough fish to do it!

the fish farm we were using in Nagua can't supply right now, so we are looking for another option. our nursery is putting out about 60 babies/month, but we are in need of about 500 inch long fingerlings to kick start the big tank.

Taylor

Jan 28, 2005
FYI my buddy had a large very professional set up in La Canela outside Santiago but as soon as the fish got big enough they were stolen and they also cut up and took parts of the liner!

yea, that can be a problem here. we are actively involved in the community and have had minimal theft as of now.. let's hope that continues.

May 29, 2006
yea, that can be a problem here. we are actively involved in the community and have had minimal theft as of now.. let's hope that continues.

I think the key to reducing theft is to develop cheaper systems and concentrate on producing fingerlings. Aquaponics should be an "open source" industry so that most families can afford backyard systems for grow out tanks. I've seen live tilapia tanks in a couple Hispanic markets in the US and they sell them for $4/pound live weight.

What about rent-to-own grow out tanks? I think that's how solar go going in some places..

Taylor

Jan 28, 2005
I think the key to reducing theft is to develop cheaper systems and concentrate on producing fingerlings. Aquaponics should be an "open source" industry so that most families can afford backyard systems for grow out tanks. I've seen live tilapia tanks in a couple Hispanic markets in the US and they sell them for $4/pound live weight.

What about rent-to-own grow out tanks? I think that's how solar go going in some places..

WE do have the a hatchery, and we are getting about 200 fingerlings / month. what we want is a different variety to crossbread. Hopefully one of the bigger fish farms can help us import or source fish ... they are readily available in Florida, just can't figure out how to get one here!

KOI KING

Oct 6, 2013
Anyone know where to buy good quality Koi in the Dominican republic

I can supply a few here in Santo Domingo, as my starter tank is not yet ready and I have a couple new broods, maybe 200+ in each, far to many to allow to stay....in and grow out

otherwise I can put you contact with the guy who handles bigger quantities here in SD and Santiago. Heard of Camorones in Nagua not tilapia.

g'luck
Hi there..
This is the only source i could find on line with anything to do with freshwater fish in the Dom Rep. What I am actually looking for is a Koi farm or supplier here. I live in Bavaro and am interested in setting up a koi breeding program to sell to the public with pond construction too. Any help you could give or any contacts would be hugely appreciated.Failing that ..if you know of any tilapia breeders who import fish from the States ..perhaps they could add on a few boxes of koi if I pay for the weight.
By the way.. I used to live in Panama and they had problems with thefts too until they put up a sign in Spanish saying the fish in the tank were ill and on medication..It solved the problem almost immediately.

Really hope to hear from you soon.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That sign would be no help here in the DR!!!!!
The thieves would just sell ALL the fish they steal, and not eat any themselves.
The only people a Dominican hates more than them self, is every other Human Being!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC