Pastilla 81

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
My friend complained of pain in all his body. He went to the pharmacy and was given "pastilla 81". He feels a bit better. But I am curious. Does anyone know what "pastilla 81" might be? Google is not being my friend on this!

By the way, is it a man thing or a Dominicain thing to just take whatever pill is given to you without asking questions? :rolleyes:

Cheers
Danielle

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Someone like Dv8 may be able to tell you with more certainty, but the only thing I know of that's 81mg is those baby aspirins that people take for heart issues nowadays. Aspirin was originally meant for pain, so that's a possibility.

I buy them in bulk for my grandpa as he takes one daily.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my best guess is that he was given an aspirin 81 milligrams. many people take it daily for its benefits for the heart. it is a low dose but still may have a mild effect as a pain killer...

yes, dominicans usually go to the pharmacy, say they have pain/fever/rash/whatever and ask for a pill that will cure them. and then swallow whatever they are given without questioning.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
my best guess is that he was given an aspirin 81 milligrams. many people take it daily for its benefits for the heart. it is a low dose but still may have a mild effect as a pain killer...

yes, dominicans usually go to the pharmacy, say they have pain/fever/rash/whatever and ask for a pill that will cure them. and then swallow whatever they are given without questioning.

You can say that again. And again. And again.....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my favourite client was an old haitian guy who showed up and announced he had a dolor vaginal. sorry, but for pu**y problems there is no other cure but a new pu**y. and we don't sell it here. :) :)

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Thank you all. He says the pills are very strong and really work well. Does not sound like baby aspirin to me! However, he never take pills of any kind so maybe his body reacts very well to just a bit of medecina. Oh well. As long as it works.
Thanks again.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
of course the pills work very well, in the pharmacy they said the pills will work and they did :) part of the magic is also in the mind :)

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Maybe they are vitamin B1, which is a vitamin B complex....Thiamine is a vitamin, also called vitamin B1
B complex vitamins are good for body pain. (specially after work out)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I was at a pharmacy yesterday, there was a guy with a prescription from a doctor for a medicine in suspension. The lady at the pharmacy said: no, that's wrong, you shouldn't buy that in suspension, I am going to give you tablets.

I was almost starting to interfere and say: "Are you his doctor?! Give him what the prescription says, or let him call his doctor to confirm!", but then I thought: never mind, I know dominicans cant stand to be doubted on their authority on a subject.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's a difficult situation, at times, maurcio. a doctor may prescribe a suspension but the pharmacist may advice against it: a suspension may be expensive, have bitter taste, contain other ingredients that may not work well for the patient... say, someone goes to the doctor for a common cold. routine stuff, doctors prescribe the same stuff over and over again. but a syrup prescribed may contain sugar and the patient may be diabetic. a doctor will not know as he did not ask and did not care. a pharmacist may know because he sells diabetes pill to that person every day... also, normally a syrup is more expensive than pills. for a low dosage over a short period of time it may be better to use pills (cheapo) than pay for the entire bottle of liquid and use half of that...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
dv8, true, but in this case the lady said: the suspension is for children, you should buy pills. Ofcourse a doctor can make a mistake, but at least tell him to confirm with the doctor if that's what he really needs. There might be a reason why the doctor prescribed an infant medicine to this guy. It's good when a pharmacist doesn't blindly gives what the prescription says, but just changing the doctors prescription because she thinks so doesn't seem right to me.

By the way in my neighbourhood there is a new pharmacy. I have called for the most regular medicines (we had a month of a lot of medicine use with three small children being sick all together:

- Neumocort. "neumocort? que es eso? puedes deletrear?
- Albuterol. "No lo encuentro en el sistema, puedes deletrear"
- Denvar. same story, couldnt find it in the system.
- Balsofort. DIDNT KNOW WHAT IT WAS EITHER.

So much for trying out the new pharmacy.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
My friend complained of pain in all his body. He went to the pharmacy and was given "pastilla 81". He feels a bit better. But I am curious. Does anyone know what "pastilla 81" might be? Google is not being my friend on this!

By the way, is it a man thing or a Dominicain thing to just take whatever pill is given to you without asking questions? :rolleyes:

Cheers
Danielle
Maybe the HA's have branched out in the pharmaceutical business. ;)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_bsTlyQ3bMU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>.....................................

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
mauricio, i'm with you. often i would also not understand the name of the medicine as spoken on the telephone. sometimes i had to ask what was it for, because god knows how badly people misspell words :) and mind you, i am polish so there would be even more difficult to understand both dominicans and foreigners... there is nothing like seeing things written down. in addition dominicans pronounce things differently, they skip letters, spell V like B (or the other way round). and don't ask me about calling other pharmacies to ask about anything, it was like talking to the wall: no, no se, no hay, no entiendo...

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
it's a difficult situation, at times, maurcio. a doctor may prescribe a suspension but the pharmacist may advice against it: a suspension may be expensive, have bitter taste, contain other ingredients that may not work well for the patient... say, someone goes to the doctor for a common cold. routine stuff, doctors prescribe the same stuff over and over again. but a syrup prescribed may contain sugar and the patient may be diabetic. a doctor will not know as he did not ask and did not care. a pharmacist may know because he sells diabetes pill to that person every day... also, normally a syrup is more expensive than pills. for a low dosage over a short period of time it may be better to use pills (cheapo) than pay for the entire bottle of liquid and use half of that...

Sometimes it's best to go with the pharmacist ... just ask Larry:

[video=youtube;jx1RkmRt3gA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx1RkmRt3gA[/video]

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013

Add Puertorican to that list. I did this very same thing. LOL

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Derfish - I certainly do not recommend that he does not take the pill that a medical professional advises to take. I would just want to know what that pill is! I like to be an active participant in my health care.

So what would you recommend? That one go to the expert and ask advice and gthen don't take the recommended medicine?
I ran a thread here asking about arthritis and got some good advice, then went to a farmacia and talked with the mujer there and she gave me some capsules to swallow. They help a lot with the pain which is the only symptom I had and several people have asked me what pills they are and I just say yellow capsules.
Der Fish

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
dv8, true, but in this case the lady said: the suspension is for children, you should buy pills. Ofcourse a doctor can make a mistake, but at least tell him to confirm with the doctor if that's what he really needs. There might be a reason why the doctor prescribed an infant medicine to this guy. It's good when a pharmacist doesn't blindly gives what the prescription says, but just changing the doctors prescription because she thinks so doesn't seem right to me.

By the way in my neighbourhood there is a new pharmacy. I have called for the most regular medicines (we had a month of a lot of medicine use with three small children being sick all together:

- Neumocort. "neumocort? que es eso? puedes deletrear?
- Albuterol. "No lo encuentro en el sistema, puedes deletrear"
- Denvar. same story, couldnt find it in the system.
- Balsofort. DIDNT KNOW WHAT IT WAS EITHER.

So much for trying out the new pharmacy.
Google is your friend. I double check every medication prescribed before I buy it. Many times I went back to the doctor because of other medication I was taking, side effects or with alcohol (Yea I drink) Several times I will suggest an alternative and it's good.
No I'm not a doctor but will sleep at a Holiday Inn on vacation. :)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Derfish - I certainly do not recommend that he does not take the pill that a medical professional advises to take. I would just want to know what that pill is! I like to be an active participant in my health care.

for sure... and you want to avoid any negative interactions with other meds... or inadvertent overdoses of whatever it is you're taking, but taking another similar med. (i.e. another NSAID, or similar)