PN tweeting the faces of illegal gun holders

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
National Police is filling my twitter timeline with pictures of arrested men and women and the gun they were illegally carrying.

I must say I like the not caring about privacy of law-offenders.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
In Tennessee they have a weekly rag called "Who Was arrested?" And it is about a 12 page tabloid size sheet picturing people arrested during the past week. I think it is a good idea. I never bought it, but for those with wayward daddies it may be cool
I was thinking it's forbidden to do such things in US since some people start bitching about political correctness after they see that 90% of those faces are black.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
In Tennessee they have a weekly rag called "Who Was arrested?" And it is about a 12 page tabloid size sheet picturing people arrested during the past week. I think it is a good idea. I never bought it, but for those with wayward daddies it may be cool

No disrespect, but if we looked to Tennessee to set standards, we'd all have rusty trucks on our lawns and be married to our cousins. Just saying :)

We all know the police in DR are inept. Mix that ineptitude with publicizing the product of their mistakes, and this won't end up well...

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
I don't consider it political correctness to treat someone innocent until they are proven guilty. It's just their and your constitution. Publicizing who was found guilty - maybe I'd buy that. But publicizing who was arrested? C'mon...

If we're gonna do that, why not just publicize everyone who gets diagnosed with herpes? That'd be a community service that helps everyone.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
If we're gonna do that, why not just publicize everyone who gets diagnosed with herpes? That'd be a community service that helps everyone.
They say 7 of 10 dominicanas visiting a gyno are diagnosed with vaginal infections. I wish they publicize that list.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i wish they publicized a list of blue waffle dicks that gave them the infections to start from.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I would not hold the Dominican justice system up as a good example of anything, if fact just the opposite is true. In the US there is a little something called "presume innocent until proven guilty". In the DR its presumed guilty until you prove yourself innocent. As for Tenn. it also is not a good example of much.
Anyone who is poor and arrested in the DR is in for a real lesson in injustice. Rich and arrested, nothing to worry about-you will be out quickly and the case against you will just fade away. One of our from time to time posters, Tim
was arrested and charged with murder after he sold a boat to a Dominican who did not change the title over and used it to transport Dominicans to Puerto Rico. When the boat sank and a number of "refugees" died Tim was charged with murder even though he had no knowledge of what happened to the boat after he sold it. He spent months in prison and eventually wrote a book about his experiences. Tim can tell you all about DR justice and how it is to prove yourself innocent.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
What if people were to post videos of police or government officials taking bribes? What would the ramifications be?

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
What if people were to post videos of police or government officials taking bribes? What would the ramifications be?
I know at least one country where everybody has a dash cam in their cars, Russia. Youtube is full of their dashcam videos. As far as I know it's a pain in the ass for the traffic police there now, because once they stop somebody, the driver turns the dashcam to the left and starts recording the cop on video, before the cop opens his mouth to say something. :)

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Is this with a dashboard cam or rearview mirror cam? Any recommendations?

I have a small handheld cam with good sound (full HD) that sits on a sturdy tripod next to me on the dash with the display turned towards me so I can see what I'm filming... when I'm stopped, before anything else I just hit record.. it is the cam I also use at the beach, when about with family as it is shock and waterproof up till 10ft..

This is the cam I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HX-WA10D-Waterproof-Camcorder-2-6-Inch/dp/B004TS0GEO

If you want to use a cam just for filming your encounters I would suggest hooking up a small sportscam with a gorilla grip to your rearview mirror - I don't know how good the sound is on those though...

Last edited:

theoneandonly

May 22, 2013
Easy on Tennessee now. Derfish, What part of TN you from?

Every gas station in East Tennessee has those "Who's been jailed" newspapers. Unfortunately I've seen a few of my old classmates in there ha! Considering the Meth capital of the world is about an hour north of me, it makes sense.

Once convicted, the criminals don't really have much rights to privacy of that sorts. They forfeit it when they are found guilty of a crime, IMO.

May 12, 2005
I say good for PN. It's very easy to tell if someone has an illegal gun. Either you have a permit or you don't. Also DR follows a Napoleonic Code, guilty until proven innocent.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I say good for PN. It's very easy to tell if someone has an illegal gun. Either you have a permit or you don't. Also DR follows a Napoleonic Code, guilty until proven innocent.

Although I am not sure I trust the Dominican Justice system with 'guilty until proven innocent', I fully agree with it being VERY easy to determine if you carry a gun illegally or not. In my home country criminals, of whom it is very obvious they did the crime are mentioned with their first name and initial only, their face censored, and 'sentenced by the media' is often successfully used by lawyers to lower a sentence.

When you are caught in an act, be ready to see you face in the paper or on twitter.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Although I am not sure I trust the Dominican Justice system with 'guilty until proven innocent', I fully agree with it being VERY easy to determine if you carry a gun illegally or not. In my home country criminals, of whom it is very obvious they did the crime are mentioned with their first name and initial only, their face censored, and 'sentenced by the media' is often successfully used by lawyers to lower a sentence.

When you are caught in an act, be ready to see you face in the paper or on twitter.

In our home country protection of privacy for the criminals has always been part of the system. If you want to change that, it merits discussion and official adjustment of policy, but not because you or I want it changed.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
... and even when they do get tried and sentenced there is still the very real prospect of buying a pardon or simply paying ones way out of the system. Indeed, as prisoners sometimes jokingly say, "the Dominican Republic is the only country in the world where you can make bail after you've been convicted."

Wow. I laughed.

That's sad. Comes to show how DR really is a third world country. And it's a shame 'cause there's plenty of beautiful things about the country.