private schools

evan65

May 29, 2013
Hi everyone, my name is Evan, I'm italian, and I'm moving to Santo Domingo next july.
Could someone help me in finding a good private school to enroll my son Matteo?
He is 13 and speaks english and spanish.
grazie mille
many thanks
Evan

evan65

May 29, 2013
yes, i'm coming from Italy. He is finishing the 7th grade and the school....yes in Santo Domingo, bilingual, I don't care religious or not...

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
It depends on what part of Santo Domingo you are going to live in. My daughter starts school for the 1st time and she will be attending Brilliant Minds School on Las Americas in Santo Domingo Este.

I think you will be in the D.N if I am not mistaken coming from Italy you can look at schools like Carol Mogan, St. Thomas, New Horizons etc.

There is a thread with the list of all the schools in Santo Domingo.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
MOST important, what is your budget????????????
The schools listed above will cost many thousands of dollars a year, depending on the grade.
You will also needs a few thousand more for "Extras".
My daughters go to "Colegio Arroyo Hondo.
Catholic school, pretty good education, lots of after school activities.
Cris Colon
"JMB"
"Coming from Italy"??????????????????????????
You think that makes any difference?????

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Let posters know

evan65, do you already have a residence in SD ? If so, let the posters know by barrio name and street. It will help us help you locate a school that will suit your home location, transportation, and your child's education needs.

Regards,

PJT

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
MOST important, what is your budget????????????
The schools listed above will cost many thousands of dollars a year, depending on the grade.
You will also needs a few thousand more for "Extras".
My daughters go to "Colegio Arroyo Hondo.
Catholic school, pretty good education, lots of after school activities.
Cris Colon
"JMB"
"Coming from Italy"??????????????????????????
You think that makes any difference?????

Million dollar question Cris, why would a person moving from Russia, Italy, Canada, USA, France moved to Santo Domingo Este?? with a CHILD or any other part of SD other then D.N. It takes a while for SD to grow on a person, but the 1st impression it gives off is not " WOW this is a great city to live in and raise a family.

I love Santo Domingo Este but I would think my family in the USA would have a very hard time adjusting to life in SD Este if
they well forced to move DR.

It is only a few places in SD where a "newbie" can feel somewhat normal until they really get a feel for Santo Domingo.

BTW CC you have to learn how to break down words. When the OP state " looking for a "GOOD PRIVATE SCHOOL" usually these are key words that a family has the resources to afford a good education for their child and IMO any Italian family moving across the pond with a child and lands in Santo Domingo will be okay in the money department.

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The bilingual schools that I have heard of by reputation are St Michaels, St Georges, Carol Morgan and Dominico Americano

I believe that most of their curriculum is in English. So you had best check on how much Spanish is taught.

May 12, 2005
Carol Morgan is by far and away the best school in the country. However it's not cheap, $20K US and up for tuition.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Carol Morgan is by far and away the best school in the country. However it's not cheap, $20K US and up for tuition.

Opinions vary on what school is the best, your are however correct , it is the most expensive. Why do you say it is by far and away the best school? Not trying to pick a fight but qualify why you say that. I've heard that New Horizons is better in some aspects, and that Abraham Lincoln in La Romana is the best. St Georges is more of a British style education and perhaps that puts in ahead of an American style school like Carol Morgan.

May 12, 2005
Look at the curriculum and extra curricular activities and sports programs. Also look at the list of US universities that the students get accepted to. I have heard plenty of good about New Horizons but I put CMS above it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The bilingual schools that I have heard of by reputation are St Michaels, St Georges, Carol Morgan and Dominico Americano

I believe that most of their curriculum is in English. So you had best check on how much Spanish is taught.

Bilingual means exactly that- Bi-lingual, at least at St Georges.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Look at the curriculum and extra curricular activities and sports programs. Also look at the list of US universities that the students get accepted to. I have heard plenty of good about New Horizons but I put CMS above it.

You are looking at things through American eyes. Remember the OP is European. I think that he can't go wrong if he goes to each school and does his research to see what school fits his son and his needs.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
BOB, Frank is looking at it through his "Non Agenda Eyes"!
They are more likely "20/20" than yours.
Sometimes your anti USA Agenda blurs your vision.
Saying you graduated from "Carol Morgan" is like graduating from "Harvard".
Some people will always say, "So What"?
But if you look at the results you can't argue about the success of their graduates.
"Gealousy" aside, that is!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
BOB, Frank is looking at it through his "Non Agenda Eyes"!
They are more likely "20/20" than yours.
Sometimes your anti USA Agenda blurs your vision.
Saying you graduated from "Carol Morgan" is like graduating from "Harvard".
Some people will always say, "So What"?
But if you look at the results you can't argue about the success of their graduates.
"Gealousy" aside, that is!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

No he's not - He said American colleges. Is there an international rating of the private schools in the DR? didn't think so. Carol Morgan is very expensive. I guess if you use price as your measuring stick, it's the best. If you think I'm anti-American it's you with the blinders on. I guess one would have to do a cost vs benefits to find out which is best. Note I said what was best for the OPs son, which isn't necessarily the most expensive or highest rated, but what he figures is the best fit.
Best Education In The World: Finland, South Korea Top Country Rankings, U.S. Rated Average

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Carol Morgan school: In the 2011-2012 school year, approximately 95% of the School's income derives from tuition. Annual tuition rates are as follows: PK: $5,551; kdg.: $7,035; grade 1: $8,933; grade 2: $9,119; grade 3: $9,177; grades 4-5: $9,981; grade 6: $10,495; grades 7-8: $10,989; grades 9-10: $12,032; grade 11: $12,051 and grade 12: $13,809. A one-time fee is charged as follows: PK: $4,400; kdg.- grade 5: $5,400; grades 6-8: $6,200; grades 9-12: $6,900. There is also a one-time fee per family of $3,740 for new families at CMS. All tuition and fees are payable in U.S. dollars or Dominican pesos. (All fees are quoted in U.S. dollars.)
Where CCCCCCC doesn't send his kids.
For Evan: http://dominicanrepublic.com/index.php/living/livingnews/education/513-newhorizons-bilingual-school
There a list with links to all the private Bi-lingual schools in Santo Domingo

evan65

May 29, 2013
Thanks to everybody for all the information. I'll have a look to all the schools you suggested me, but I think I will decide for a bilingual school like Saint George or New Horizon. I will be' glad to receive any further suggestions or reviews about bilingual school and again .......many many thanks......ciao Evan.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Another important thing is how long are you planning to stay in the DR? Do you want your child to study in the DR, USA or Europe? for example here in Curacao the International School is USA oriented. Local private Schools are European orientated. This also results in some students from certain schools being accepted in certain countries.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If I had "Bob's" income stream, I WOULD not send my kids to "Carol Morgan", I would send them to "St. George's".
REASON, "Traffic" in SD!
"Morgan" is too far away from Arroyo Hondo, and HEAVY traffic on the way to get there.
"St. Georges" is close to where we live, but still too much money.
I think that Bob would agree, that "YES", the school is an important factor in educating/socializing children, but the "Home Environment" is the MOST important factor.
Few can afford the tuition at the high end private schools here, but providing a nurturing,home environment cost next to nothing.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC