Salcedo Shipping, anyone use them??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Salcedo Shipping, anyone use them?? Good? Bad??

We're having trouble getting a quote from our regular shipper on sending a tiller to DR, someone gave Mr. AE this company's card.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well, I checked out their Facebook page, and the only two comments are both terrible, items missing, etc. What we'd be shipping can't really be stolen, sounds like boxes are fair game to them though.

I'd love to hear from anyone on DR1 with first hand experience.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
THat looks good.

I have things in Canada that sooner or later will need to get to RD.
Peralta Bros is one option - good to have another.

Thanks

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
small containers gets the best rates.If you can fill them up. When looking for shippers make sure they do less than container loads. I know some do not mess with small loads to the caribe. I try to not use brokers i like dealing straight with the shipper.Many times if they have a cargo plane and there is room and you paid for boat it will go by AirCargo. Thats is great when it gets from Miami to RD in one day. They shipped a lathe by Aircargo for us once LOL it was heavy.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Its furniture... I'll opt for the door/door.... maybe an appliance or two.

When I build again -- knucklehead me, already buying for a 'yet to be built' house:alien:

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
we are redoing our home right now. We should have torn it down i think and started over.I wish i had shipped some material now. Its been under construction for 2 months now

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks WW, but I need someone who will pick this up from our house, it won't be boxed, just wrapped, and I don't want to drive 3 hours to NYC. It's a little larger than a big lawnmower, but they act like it's the first one they've ever seen or heard of.

So far we have one quote - $250 - which seems a little high, but we'll see what others come in with. [We shipped a grill that was just as big and brand new, for $100]

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
Thanks WW, but I need someone who will pick this up from our house, it won't be boxed, just wrapped, and I don't want to drive 3 hours to NYC. It's a little larger than a big lawnmower, but they act like it's the first one they've ever seen or heard of.

So far we have one quote - $250 - which seems a little high, but we'll see what others come in with. [We shipped a grill that was just as big and brand new, for $100]
$250.00 does not seem high in todays world to me. You ever used USHIP??? like to get it to NYC??? I use it all the time
build a small pallet and tie it down.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know that buying stateside and shipping doesn't always produce the cheapest results but it produces results I am comfortable with and prefer.

Cheaper ain't always better.

My two 'coffins' - 4' x 4' x 8' were $1,000 each -- after I squealed in pain.
Expensive but it was a full memory bank of our life - things we've had forever and some from my mother.

I'm with Torno... $250 isn't bad.

As comparison to your BBQ - my ,lawnmower (81lbs) was $105 if I recall.,, new from Lowes

I like the sound of these new guys for big stuff , especially.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
WW, if you paid $105 for a lawnmower, and I paid $100 for a big BBQ, I think $250 is too much. Just my opinion :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WW, if you paid $105 for a lawnmower, and I paid $100 for a big BBQ, I think $250 is too much. Just my opinion :)

Was it Awilda who gave you the $250.... they do pick up.... but to save $150 +/-.... worth the drive.

I do it all the time from Phila... to see it packed/wrapped and set it on its way.... the owner stands right with you.

I've also just shipped to them after boxing it at UPS

A tiller is an awkward shape... not a folded down mower or unassembled BBQ... it might cost more

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
No, it wasn't Awilda. My only choices down here, which require no driving [at least the only ones I've heard of] are Embarque Bella Vista, Montero and Salcedo.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I'm looking to ship a box or two. I'm in Pittsburgh, but would be shipping from the Philly area, (or south jersey). The two places I had found in previous posts that might be close to philly were:

Bella Vista (Camden NJ).. called... phone out of service (unless someone has a newer number)

Montero (in New York) ... called ... no location in Philly area / no pick up in Philly.

any other ideas????

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
i ship simple boxes like 24x24x24 for $110.00 door to door from houston drums 120.00

the company is up their somewhere , they are still in business. they have agents around the country. i will dig up the name

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm looking to ship a box or two. I'm in Pittsburgh, but would be shipping from the Philly area, (or south jersey). The two places I had found in previous posts that might be close to philly were:

Bella Vista (Camden NJ).. called... phone out of service (unless someone has a newer number)

Montero (in New York) ... called ... no location in Philly area / no pick up in Philly.

any other ideas????

Yes, drive down to the shore and we'll get you connected with BellaVista here, and make you a good cup of espresso too. :laugh:

And if that's not doable, contact Manuel at 609-334-9480 [Spanish only]. You can tell him Leo from Ventnor gave you his number. - he doesn't pick up in Camden or Philly, but he can give you the number of someone who does.