Website

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Looking ahead to starting a website for business purposes. Please, , , , "I know Google is my fren," I know the top ten lists that are out there. What I need is first-hand reviews from worldly, intelligent people like yourselves. Ideas, recommendations, etc. . . . And nooooo, I'm not looking to start a competing DR discussion board forum ;) Hmmmmm, , , , , ,

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not understand the point of your question at all. what website? for what business?

what do you want to know? what layout people like? what colour scheme? how user friendly are the sites we look at?

you have to be more precise than this. so far you make zero sense.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I want to do business in the DR. I want to establish an online presence. Does anyone have any info on web-building/hosting services that they use in the DR to promote/market their own business there and that they are pleased with?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Just take a look at Dominican websites (especially from the government) and don't make it like that...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't know why bashing dominican government sites. i find them very informative. try a polish government site and you will see what a design and functional f**kup looks like...

if you want a good, user-friendly, transparent and easy to navigate site in DR you are on a one of them now. dr1 is a great example of a good layout and clean design.

personally i would look at american/european sites for the type of business you are after and start from there. pick up all the stuff you like and discard all the stuff you hate. few years ago a friend of mine was starting her own business and wanted a website. she engaged few of her best pals - myself included - in the design process. we looked at similar sites and worked out waht will work best for her, for features should be linked into her site and how a layout should be organized.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Dominican government sites have a LOT of information, but very poorly structured, many boxes on each side of the main window with confusion headers and titles. A lot of unnecessary moving images that make it very busy. In general Dominican sites lack testing before going live, from small things (like username or password fields that automatically assume the first character is a capital, not well working drop down lists, and if they work they are very long, almost impossible to scroll. Try to search for 'aranceles' on the page of aduanas, you'll land on a page of which you won't have a clue what to do.

On the site of ADN you can find the rules of zoning for the city but try are all huge PDF, named with a unique letter combination which gives you no clue of what's inside the file, so you have to download a 25mb PDF to find out you need another of the 15 files on the list.

Examples of acceptable Dominican sites:
New website of banco popular
Claro (although it has it's flaws)
Emarket.do
Supercarros and supercasas (although the latter should get rid of the horrible landing page)

Anyway, partly it's probably a matter of taste.