Spanking Kids (Keep 100% Dominican related or it's deleted)

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
This thread is funny as heck. I will only add that IMO the term "modern" can mean more then just buildings, highways, and forms of transportation. You also have a "modern way of thinking" and to me one of the worst things about Santo Domingo and DR is way too many parents exercise their right for "corporal punishment with their children. I almost never hear a child being beat or witness it anymore because people have evolved in how to discipline a child without using a belt.

The worst sound in the world to me is when a child is yelling STOP and crying and the parent continue to strike the defenseless helpless child.

When I lived in Santo Domingo I would hear children being beat all the time, once a little boy was beaten because he knocked over a plate of food because he was running and did not see it.

Potholes, PN asking for 300 to 500 pesos here and there, no lights, no water etc I can deal with but what I have a hard time is watching how Dominicans hit their children for something so minor as to making noise or something any average kid would do.

The worst part is a lot of them beat their children in front of other children, SADDEST thing I ever saw in 2013 not 1978, 1985 or 1991 but 2013. The only thing that child is learning when he or she has children they will be hit as well.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
This thread is funny as heck. I will only add that IMO the term "modern" can mean more then just buildings, highways, and forms of transportation. You also have a "modern way of thinking" and to me one of the worst things about Santo Domingo and DR is way too many parents exercise their right for "corporal punishment with their children. I almost never hear a child being beat or witness it anymore because people have evolved in how to discipline a child without using a belt.

The worst sound in the world to me is when a child is yelling STOP and crying and the parent continue to strike the defenseless helpless child.

When I lived in Santo Domingo I would hear children being beat all the time, once a little boy was beaten because he knocked over a plate of food because he was running and did not see it.

Potholes, PN asking for 300 to 500 pesos here and there, no lights, no water etc I can deal with but what I have a hard time is watching how Dominicans hit their children for something so minor as to making noise or something any average kid would do.

The worst part is a lot of them beat their children in front of other children, SADDEST thing I ever saw in 2013 not 1978, 1985 or 1991 but 2013. The only thing that child is learning when he or she has children they will be hit as well.
I agree with you about the child abuse in the DR. It's not that people have "evolved", in the US laws were passed that are more strict and they're being enforced. Now the abusers are aware of the consequences and this has put fear. If a child (I know you are aware of this)) goes to school with bruises, immediately action is taken, it's reported to CPS( child protective services). Not so in the DR, sad to say, but until strict laws are passed and enforced, the abuse will continue from generation to generation.

Last edited:

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I agree with you about the child abuse in the DR. It's not that people have "evolved", in the US laws were passed that are more strict and they're being enforced. Now the abusers are aware of the consequences and this has put fear. If a child (I know you are aware of this)) goes to school with bruises, immediately action is taken, it's reported to CPS( child protective services). Not so in the DR, sad to say, but until strict laws are passed and enforced, the abuse will continue from generation to generation.

Some people may see child abuse when a parent spanks their child, I see tough love. I was raised under this concept and I turned out great. Spare the rod, spoil the child, release the tiger within.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Some people may see child abuse when a parent spanks their child, I see tough love. I was raised under this concept and I turned out great. Spare the rod, spoil the child, release the tiger within.
Agreed. Spanking a child is fine, but lines are crossed when it goes beyond a spanking to what is called physical abuse. Although some parents see a spanking as child abuse, by law, it it allowed in the US. But the child cannot have any marks, bruises on the body because it is then deemed child abuse.

Last edited:

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Agreed. Spanking a child is fine, but lines are crossed when it goes beyond a spanking to what is called physical abuse. Although some parents see a spanking as child abuse, by law, it it allowed in the US.

I think there's a big difference between "spanking" and "physical abuse". Under normal circumstances bruising will not result from a spanking. If a child shows signs of bruising then that's straight out "physical abuse".

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
On the flip side I see many Dominicans who spoon feed kids all through their upbringing. They are taxied with Jeepetas to and from schools, some times within blocks and treated like delicate prima donnas. The effect of this can be an obese pussy who is ill prepared fro what life has in store.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

One has to be very careful with this. Dominican children play rough and I se a multitude of bruises, scraps...etc. everyday, in fact, I see many of them happening when they are roughhousing in the school-yard. Sometimes it's hard to differentiate this kind of stuff from abuse.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
One has to be very careful with this. Dominican children play rough and I se a multitude of bruises, scraps...etc. everyday, in fact, I see many of them happening when they are roughhousing in the school-yard. Sometimes it's hard to differentiate this kind of stuff from abuse.
Correct. That's why in the US it is reported to Child Protective services and they investigate. They interrogate the child, Parents, they monitor; home visits, visit the schools. etc. They find out whether it's child's play or abuse.