Any difficulites with dating Dominicanas in Bavaro

jbsantovida

Jun 1, 2013
I'm sure some people just started lauging when they saw the title, but the question is probably somewhat different than you might think. I am a white guy, speak Spanish, been coming to Bavaro/Punta Cana for two years. Mexico before that. I have met many people from Spain and South America here. What I am wondering is what they are going to think when they start seeing me with this really nice Dominicana I met a few months ago. Europeans here especially seem to want to maintain their status here and not socialize with Dominicans very much. Not that I know much about this place yet, which is why I am asking the question. I think I know what Dominicanos will think, but I don't care much about that. I have found a pretty good balance with most that I meet. I would like to say we understand each other, but of course, I realize I am still new here and have a lot to learn. Thanks for any insight or comments on this topic. Are there any places I should stay away from with her? My point is that I don't want to do anything stupid, plain ignorant, or offend anyone in particular. Gracia.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm sure some people just started lauging when they saw the title, but the question is probably somewhat different than you might think. I am a white guy, speak Spanish, been coming to Bavaro/Punta Cana for two years. Mexico before that. I have met many people from Spain and South America here. What I am wondering is what they are going to think when they start seeing me with this really nice Dominicana I met a few months ago. Europeans here especially seem to want to maintain their status here and not socialize with Dominicans very much. Not that I know much about this place yet, which is why I am asking the question. I think I know what Dominicanos will think, but I don't care much about that. I have found a pretty good balance with most that I meet. I would like to say we understand each other, but of course, I realize I am still new here and have a lot to learn. Thanks for any insight or comments on this topic. Are there any places I should stay away from with her? My point is that I don't want to do anything stupid, plain ignorant, or offend anyone in particular. Gracia.

With all your apparent worries, you are not going to have much fun here, certainly not when you are with the girl.

If she is the sort of girl you would be pleased to introduce to your family, and if you and she conduct yourselves in public the way you would if at home, then I would not worry much about offending anyone, etc. I believe that those you seem to be worried about will come to realize that this is a socially acceptable relationship.

If she speaks the language of the Europeans you will be socializing with, even if with some difficulty, it will be even better.

But for heavens sake, if you like the girl and she is someone you will be proud to introduce, do not go around apologizing and acting like it is not a proper relationship.

PS: I see this is your first post. If you had more experience with DR1 you would not have posted your question in the first place. I don't think it will take long for you to see why I say that.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
No one cares about you or what you do and who you do it with (with respect), love is cheap and relationships even cheaper here, just get on with it and don't make a novela out of a preview. If you're this naive here you'll have plenty of reruns to get through (again, with respect).

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Immediately stop seeing her, go to Santiago and you will have your choice of thousands of women that you can present to your european friends and mama too. Hurry go now!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm sure it has already occurred to the veterans that the OP could very well be a first post sock puppet.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Since nobody has yet, I will ask the OP...................Are you American or Canadian or British, or what?
Are you re-locating to the D.R.?
What is there about your Dominican girlfriend that has you so worried?

jbsantovida

Jun 1, 2013
Canadian. I spent some time in the U.S. and saw some pretty brutal treatment of Dominincans. I could have been more to the point and just asked if there is underlying prejudice here that I should be aware of. I'm learning and have no problem being up front about that. The key to my question is "Europeans here especially seem to want to maintain their status here and not socialize with Dominicans very much." I sense a bit of colonialism to use another brutal word. But who knows. That's why I ask here.

Dec 26, 2011
Canadian. I spent some time in the U.S. and saw some pretty brutal treatment of Dominincans. I could have been more to the point and just asked if there is underlying prejudice here that I should be aware of. I'm learning and have no problem being up front about that. The key to my question is "Europeans here especially seem to want to maintain their status here and not socialize with Dominicans very much." I sense a bit of colonialism to use another brutal word. But who knows. That's why I ask here.

And you're buying into it?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Perhaps the Dominicans are maintaining their status by avoiding socializing with foreigners...

jbsantovida

Jun 1, 2013
So why worry about what anyone else thinks?
I'm a sociologist. And, I don't want to encounter something as a surprise that I should have known. But, in the end as the wise man above says, I shouldn't give a damn. And, I won't. Just looking for a little wisdom. :)

Dec 26, 2011
I'm a sociologist. And, I don't want to encounter something as a surprise that I should have known. But, in the end as the wise man above says, I shouldn't give a damn. And, I won't. Just looking for a little wisdom. :)

Look within. Use the force. And all that good stuff.

How old are you and how old is she?