Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Apple TV in Bavaro

    Anybody has any experience with Apple TV in Bavaro?
    I was given one in the US, but I wonder if it is worth for me to take to Bavaro, since I don't know if they work outside the US.

  2. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If its the apple 2 it can be cracked and you can install xbmc, that would be excellent. If its the apple 3 then you can get nexflix and other pay apple services. Either way most likely you have to get a usa proxy, you need to search that or someone will chime in. They only have hdmi output and wireless.

    If its the apple 2 it is valuable!

  3. Likes RG84 liked this post
  4. #3
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    582
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luperon View Post
    If its the apple 2 it can be cracked and you can install xbmc, that would be excellent. If its the apple 3 then you can get nexflix and other pay apple services. Either way most likely you have to get a usa proxy, you need to search that or someone will chime in. They only have hdmi output and wireless.

    If its the apple 2 it is valuable!

    I have my ATV3 here with me here in SD, and yes you will need a VPN to get the full Nexflix. Funny wanted to watch La Soga but couldn't find when just looking on nexflix without a VPN, turn on the VPN and there it was? A Dominican movie that I could not watch in DR?

    Yes the ATV2 is worth it if you can get one a decent price, they are going for $200.00 plus. My work around is to use my Ipad and mirror to my ATV3

  5. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    956
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have Apple TV 2 here in Santiago. Mine is hacked and I use xbmc to watch all the new and old movies. I don't use a proxy with mine. You doe need at least 5Mbp for it to work fine.

  6. Likes Luperon liked this post
  7. #5
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taino808 View Post
    I have Apple TV 2 here in Santiago. Mine is hacked and I use xbmc to watch all the new and old movies. I don't use a proxy with mine. You doe need at least 5Mbp for it to work fine.
    How stable do you find xbmc? Does it always work? Do you subscribe to any services within xbmc for faster prioritized downloads?

  8. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    956
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luperon View Post
    How stable do you find xbmc? Does it always work? Do you subscribe to any services within xbmc for faster prioritized downloads?
    On a scale from 1 to 10, I say about an 8. Some times I could watch a movie without one single flaw throughout the whole movie, and then there are days that it freezes on me and I have to wait some where between 2 to 5 minutes for the movie to continue playing. A lot has to do with whether the movie is viewed on HD, 720 or rip DVD.

  9. #7
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    956
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    One more thing once you pick the movie you want to watch, and you've chosen the viewing format, you then have to chose from many options of servers. The most reliable servers are "videohog", "billion movie upload" and "movie real". There is one more very reliable server, but the name does not come to mind at the moment, the name starts with a "B". There are many other servers but less reliable than the one I mentioned.

  10. Likes Luperon liked this post
  11. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I use a smart dns service instead of VPN because it is cheaper and I get to choose to connect to the US, UK or another country whenever I want. Works like a charm. You'll need a subscription to Netflix and/or Hulu Plus, or your can easily airplay any movies you have in your Mac or iPad.

    I'm not 100% certain you need a VPN or DNA for Netflix because Netflix is available in the DR. Surely, you won't get the same content than in the US or UK but it'll save you some money.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1greasy View Post
    Anybody has any experience with Apple TV in Bavaro?
    I was given one in the US, but I wonder if it is worth for me to take to Bavaro, since I don't know if they work outside the US.

  12. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you guys, that was some valuable info right there! Now I know I can use it without any problems!

  13. #10
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have the Apple TV2 (I'm in Bavaro). I use Unblock-US so I can have access to US-only content. For a total of US$21 per month (Unblock-US = CAD$4.99, Hulu Plus = US$7.99, Netflix US$7.99) I think it's well worth it. I had no trouble viewing HD content with a 2 Mbps connection.

    Note: You will need a US iTunes account to subscribe to Netflix/Hulu Plus.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •