Machete

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Anyone own a machete? How do you best use/care for one? Can you "play it" sheathed legally? Any unusual stories?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They are the primary gardening implement used in the DR. Have had several. People walk around with them frequently. I sharpen them when needed using a bench grinder.

Last edited:

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Had new tyres fitted yesterday, the tyre guy used one to take the old ones off and put the new ones on, he then hammered the nail back into the hinges holding the barn door on, before smacking the dog across the back end with the flange of the blade, very versatile bit of kit!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A little "WD40" keeps it from rusting when stored.
Only buy good quality ones.
The thin, "El Cheapo's" bend, and plastic handles break apart/off!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I have 2, smaller one and bigger one. Bought a sharpening thing at a ferreteria, they will know that you are asking for . It's actually called a coline (Sp?) here not a machete.
I'm pretty sue 99% of the peeps here have one. There are very useful.
WD 40 is a must. I'm pretty sure you can go into banks with them.

I saw photos of a guy who got his head chopped off with a machete. Happened in PP. Fight over a girl. Head rolled down the street.

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
Stainless

Stainless steel ones can be purchased over the internet. never rust but a more weight

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Col?n = Collins, the Hartford, CT company that made them almost monopolistically for all of Caribbean, Central and South America. Now made in Colombia. They come is several sizes and can be honed razor sharp with files and a good grind stone.
Machete = the heavy, broad nosed blade used for planting, digging and weeding.

HB

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I have 2, smaller one and bigger one. Bought a sharpening thing at a ferreteria, they will know that you are asking for . It's actually called a coline (Sp?) here not a machete.
I'm pretty sue 99% of the peeps here have one. There are very useful.
WD 40 is a must. I'm pretty sure you can go into banks with them.

I saw photos of a guy who got his head chopped off with a machete. Happened in PP. Fight over a girl. Head rolled down the street.

Yes, they're very versatile.:tired:

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
ive never heard that term-i am playing a trouser at the moment then

It's jargon. The analogy refers that when you play an instrument you generate an expression (musical), and so when you wear whatever it too is an expression (fashion). In the case of the machete the expression would be "please don't f--- with me." Also, in your example you would say "I am playing THIS trouser," for what it expresses that day, e.g., work, casual, etc.

Think of the many connotations of the word player, e.g., a Sanky is a "player" who dresses for expression.

Last edited:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
It's jargon. The analogy refers that when you play an instrument you generate an expression (musical), and so when you wear whatever it too is an expression (fashion). In the case of the machete the expression would be "please don't f--- with me." Also, in your example you would say "I am playing THIS trouser," for what it expresses that day, e.g., work, casual, etc.

Think of the many connotations of the word player, e.g., a Sanky is a "player" who dresses for expression.

Interesting... I looked at 5 different dictionaries... including a slang dictionary and the online "urban dictionary", (which is remarkably comprehensive)... and could find no reference to the wearing of items or clothing.

Is this use some kind of colloquialism? It's obviously not in general use.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Interesting... I looked at 5 different dictionaries... including a slang dictionary and the online "urban dictionary", (which is remarkably comprehensive)... and could find no reference to the wearing of items or clothing.

Is this use some kind of colloquialism? It's obviously not in general use.

We're slightly off topic but as a final stab: It is non-pejorative slang, jargon, and colloquial all at once. I love an individual with reference skills and resources, but the fact that your search did not find what you were looking for doesn't refer non-existence. If you're really interested in confirmation you have to look further. The use of the phrase is common in hip-hop culture.

Also, I have 2 undergrad and 2 grad degrees. My profession is education. I do not talk about what I don't know to be true.