healthful hint for the poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
A lot of poor people who live in Dominican Republic still use wood for cooking, especially in the country side. The people on this planet that live the longest all have a few things in common I mean the people who live 100 years or more. First they most all cook with wood and use the wood ash for a food additive and fertilizer for their garden. Second they eat very little carbohydrates. Third they are a long ways from medical help no doctors.
What is wood ash well it is all the minerals that the tree got from the soil in a colloidal form. Colloidal minerals are easier to absorb than solid. A lot of ailments are mineral deficiencies. For example calcium deficiency can cause over two hundred different ailments.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
The poor in this country eat lots of carbs but not the people who live the longest

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
you are joking me. the poor eat mostly carbs: rice and beans. many cannot afford meat and eat very little of it...

Don't forget platanos, yuca, batata, etc. all kinds of root vegetables are loaded with carbs. The poor eat it all.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
you are joking me. the poor eat mostly carbs: rice and beans. many cannot afford meat and eat very little of it...

That is true the world over. Here, it is rice and beans, and boiled guineo or plantains. In Italy, bread and pasta. In Asia, rice. In Ireland and the US, potatoes (fried) and bread (sandwiches). In the Middle East, bread (pita). In Eastern Europe, bread, with potato also common.

And from what I have read, people who live the longest eat lots of carbs, especially rice and pasta. And oily fish, from what I recall, though I may be mistaken on that point.

As to the weed ash - err, wood ash - that is a very interesting point and definitely one worth studying. And I love sancocho that has been cooked over wood. The smokiness adds to the flavor.
t
Ash is a great fertilizer, I definitely agree. And I remember folks adding it to the soap they made when I was growing up. Occasionally, the pieces of ash were not powdered enough and they caused undue diress when having my mouth washed out with soap and water.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
The poor in this country eat lots of carbs but not the people who live the longest

My paternal grandfather died at the age of 104. Lived in the DR and ate a high carb diet of rice, beans, platanos, yuca, yautia, etc.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Haitians destroyed their forests to use the wood for cooking. Now they have no forest, no rivers, no productive soil. I don't think that's a very good idea.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Mart1n, do you have any links to articles about what you are saying?

I'd love to read up on this a bit, especially the past about the ashes.

This is a great topic for a rainy day discussion, so thanks for starting this thread.

Also of interest would be the ecological destruction caused by large populations using wood.
And, most certainly given our neighbors to the east, the difference between cooking with wood vs. charcoal.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Haitians destroyed their forests to use the wood for cooking. Now they have no forest, no rivers, no productive soil. I don't think that's a very good idea.

And the same thing is happening in the DR. They are using up the forests for firewood and pretty soon if something is not done about it, the DR will look like Haiti in no time, barren.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009

I would be curious as to the difference between cooking with wood vs. cooking with charcoal. From what I remember reading a long time ago (well, not that long, as I'm only 29 in my mind), charcoal burns hotter but it causes more timber depletion.

And Haitians burn charcoal more than wood.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yapaski is that you?

Man has been looking for the "fountain of youth" since the beginning of time. Fact is even with today's level of science development we still don't know why certain people live longer than others. Yes there are "blue zones" around certain parts of the world where there are higher percentages of people living longer than in others, but they haven't been able to find any real correlation as they're so distinct (Sardinia, Okinawa, Loma Linda). While diet certainly plays some role I believe (have seen it with my own eyes) that genes is the real reason why certain people live much longer than others.

Quick story...My biological family tends to die in their sixties or early 70's - Diabetes, kidney diseases, etc...My grandpa's family (not related to me biologically unfortunately) tend to live way into the 90's. They both live in the same environment, tend to eat the same foods (Lots of Platano, Yuca, etc BTW), etc.

My grandpa just turned 89 this past February (He's one of the youngest of his siblings). Still strong as an ox, still walks straight up not hunched over like may older folks do, even has some muscle definition...BTW also had perfect teeth way into his 70's without ever visiting a dentist. His older brother used to smoke like a chimney and drink like a fish every day. He died at the age of 85.

It's in the genes and if you didn't win the gene lottery then all you can do is try to enjoy your "short" life to the fullest.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Mart1n, do you have any links to articles about what you are saying?

I'd love to read up on this a bit, especially the past about the ashes.

This is a great topic for a rainy day discussion, so thanks for starting this thread.

Also of interest would be the ecological destruction caused by large populations using wood.
And, most certainly given our neighbors to the east, the difference between cooking with wood vs. charcoal.

Check out a Book call Hell's Kitchen written by Dr. Joel Wallach

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
It's in the genes and if you didn't win the gene lottery then all you can do is try to enjoy your "short" life to the fullest.

It is my philosophy that you have to do just that, no matter your genes. You can always die for reasons not health related.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Mart1n, thanks for the book reference. I'll put it on my shopping list for the Kindle that I am saving up to buy.

Bob Saunders and suarezn,
I thought people that live the longest were those who were well-preserved. I can't believe I've spent all this money on rum since I heard alcohol was a good preservative, when I should have been investing in a good pair of genes. Any particular brand of genes you recommend? (And to answer your question, YES, I have been drinking, so that's why it was a stupid pun.)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that people who live the longest are those who do not die early, no? there is nothing one can do about time of death: one can eat healthily, exercise and still get run over by a truck delivering cabbage to a local supermarket. our choices regarding diet and living regime bear little significance on the length of life.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Mart1n, thanks for the book reference. I'll put it on my shopping list for the Kindle that I am saving up to buy.

Bob Saunders and suarezn,
I thought people that live the longest were those who were well-preserved. I can't believe I've spent all this money on rum since I heard alcohol was a good preservative, when I should have been investing in a good pair of genes. Any particular brand of genes you recommend? (And to answer your question, YES, I have been drinking, so that's why it was a stupid pun.)

Maybe one day science will get to the point where gene therapy could be used to "enhance" those genes. For now all you can do is buy yourself a nice pair of Jeans :p and hope that makes you attractive enough to help you enjoy whatever you have left on this earth.

BTW the whole gene thing is a big mystery as well. I know a guy here in The US who told me that both his parents died early of heart disease. He decided to take an early retirement thinking that he probably wasn't going to have a long life. He just recently turned 88 and still drinks at least a beer every day, plays golf, goes dancing, etc...so apparently his parents didn't pass those genes on to him. Granted he does suffer from heart disease, but it hasn't killed him yet.

He says the only thing he regrets is that he should have worked longer because now he doesn't have the money to do the things he wants to do.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006

Dr Bruce Lipton walked away from a teaching job at a university after many years where he taught all about genes when he found out it was a bunch of lies. His experiments proved that the environment has more to do with who you are than genes. For example one experiment they took culture of stem cells split them into three groups and exposed to different environment and some became skin cells some became bone cell and some became mussel cells. His work will probably be the new teaching in about ten years

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
And the same thing is happening in the DR. They are using up the forests for firewood and pretty soon if something is not done about it, the DR will look like Haiti in no time, barren.

Is there any government sponsored reforestation projects in the DR? or is just a chop em down and who gives a **** after routine?

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Maybe the point is not so much what these people are eating, as what these people are NOT eating........so many people are illl these days because of food additives. These additives build up over years and harm peoples health. Thats why some people do a detox. to cleanse the body of these harmful chemicals and let the body begin to function as it should. there is plenty of great info on youtube.

One of my favourite documentaries is called 'Fat, Sick and nearly dead.'

you can watch it on youtube or Hulu, or if you have dropbox, send me a PM with your email and I can send you a link to download to your deskto
p.

Status
Not open for further replies.