Successfully quit smoking but smoked cigar?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I am in my few days of not smoking and it's making me nuts. My neighbor is high ranking officer at one of the well known cigar company. And one day, I had opportunity to smoke one and take one home. I guess it's first time for me that I had actually smoked something that is better in quality/price then Macanudo's that I used to enjoy in US. Now question is has anyone successfully quit smoking a cigarettes but continued to smoke cigar? I am afraid if I smoke one, I would cave in and start smoking cigarettes again. I had one employee brought one and this one is from another very good company. And smell of it alone is making me drool.

Should I smoke or give it away???
Damn. I have selected wrong days to quit, I just realized that I live in Cigar heaven. :(

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I am in my few days of not smoking and it's making me nuts. My neighbor is high ranking officer at one of the well known cigar company. And one day, I had opportunity to smoke one and take one home. I guess it's first time for me that I had actually smoked something that is better in quality/price then Macanudo's that I used to enjoy in US. Now question is has anyone successfully quit smoking a cigarettes but continued to smoke cigar? I am afraid if I smoke one, I would cave in and start smoking cigarettes again. I had one employee brought one and this one is from another very good company. And smell of it alone is making me drool.

Should I smoke or give it away???
Damn. I have selected wrong days to quit, I just realized that I live in Cigar heaven. :(

Yeah it's going to be hard to quit in Santiago. Why don't you just keep it around (maybe in a small humidor so it doesn't dry up) until the craving goes away or until you decide that you could care less about your health and start smoking again.

On the other hand giving it away would remove the immediate temptation and of course in Santiago you can always get more.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
go ahead a give it away. I quit after 40 + years. its been 1 year and 2 months.... You can do it and it does not make any difference where you are, (unless you work in a cigerrete factory). It is hard but just hang in there. Eat alot of candy, gum whatever, but don't smoke. I have been given cuban cigars and i just give them away If you do you will be right back to cigarettes. I have done that, once also just using Skoal i ended up smoking again. Give it all up you will be fine. My wife said she would leave me if i did not take care of myself anymore. well thats what it took, i will never smoke again.

Aug 6, 2006
Your addiction was not to cigarettes, but to nicotine. If you simply switch to cigars, you will still be likely to suffer all the problems that are caused by the tar and other carcinogens in tobacco. But you know this. Perhaps you could take your cigars to a maternity ward and pass them out to expectant fathers.

When you notice, after perhaps a year, that tobacco smoke stinks, and even makes your clothes stink, then you can say you are an ex-smoker.

I quit 30 years ago and have never regretted it. My father smoked a pack a day and lived to be 86. But his brother quit when he was 30 and made it to 99?. Quitting has to be worth 13? coughing-free years, that's how I look at it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I used to smoke cigarettes but gave them up about 10 years ago.
In the past 5 or 6 years I have begun to smoke GOOD cigars.
The VAST Majority of cigar smokers never inhale, I don't.
I really enjoy smoking cigars, especially as a social event.
Sitting quietly conversing with one or two good friend in a home, or cigar bar.
A great cup of "Olivo Family Blend" coffee, IF you can get some.
I have become a "Cigar Affictionado".
I have hundreds of cigars from all over the globe, many humidors, and all the "Cigar Toys".
Smoking, snuffing, chewing, pinching,tobacco is not good for you.
I'll take the small risk of smoking,but not inhaling cigars.
To me the "Up Side" vastly out weighs the "Down Side".
If you choose not to smoke cigars, I will happily accept all donations.
Koreano, I don't believe that smoking cigars is a "Pathway" to starting to smoke "Fags" again.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
ok its an opinion. i quit smoking cigarettes and told myself "i can smoke cigars and not inhale that will be ok " hahaha i just started inhaling cigars until my head hurt.. Everyone is different. you want to quit, quit it all. If you think you can not inhale cigars and start back up with cigarettes , good for you. That to me takes more work then quitting. I will bet you that you will be back on cigarettes in no time.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
american companies are starting to ban the use of these also in the workplace. its crazy

They are also questioning the long term effect in Europe since no studies have been done. While it is certainly better than tobacco, it s not proven that is totally harmless.

Personally, I went cold turkey, had to get rid of the psychological habit. I didn't want hold a cigarette in my hands real or not.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
american companies are starting to ban the use of these also in the workplace. its crazy

Why is that crazy? Would you want me to sit next to you and blow nicotine laced vapor on you all day?

I love the old Steve Martin joke "Do you mind if I smoke?" "Nope...do you mind if I fart?"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QFSymUhbVMg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
i work with people who used them and it never bothered me.if it helps people quit i am supportive of it. i am not a baby or a whiner and am pretty tough, i have worked in cyanide manufacturing, formaldehyde mfg, phosgene units, acid areas, asbestos areas and a little nicotine laced water vapor "OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!! run. lolo
sorry

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
i work with people who used them and it never bothered me.if it helps people quit i am supportive of it. i am not a baby or a whiner and am pretty tough, i have worked in cyanide manufacturing, formaldehyde mfg, phosgene units, acid areas, asbestos areas and a little nicotine laced water vapor "OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!! run. lolo
sorry

It sounds like your sense of smell may be shot...

...and THAT's the biggest problem I have with smokers. The fact that THEY don't think about the people around them. I could care less if you what you do only affects YOU, but when it affects ME then we have an issue. Back before they banned smoking in Michigan you'd go to a place and there could be only one person smoking and he/she would just sit there oblivious to the fact that 10/20 other people around were being affected. IMO you want to smoke (yes even water vapor) go smoke it outside where you can be by yourself or with like minded people who share your habit...

BTW I enjoy a nice cigar once in a blue moon...but when I do I'm very conscientious of anyone nearby, because I know how I feel when other people are stinking up the place.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Koreano I just quit about ten months ago. I smoked on and off since I was twelve. I quit for a year then went back on cigars then cigarettes. Just quit. After a year or two you will have no temptation. Its a tough few months at first but it gets easier. And you smell better and your kids wont have to smell that stench and your teeth wont be yellow
Just say no LOL good luck

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
After smoking for exactly 25 years straight. On 4/1/2011(my friend's birthday) I quit smoking for 5 months. I realize I had more to look forward to wife and newly born son, everybody's happy etc... As things got crazy and my son's Kawasaki ordeals and looking for a decent job or looking into buy/start store while everybody was closing down, my stupid brain acted up and assured 1 cigarettes will not kill me, so I did took a drag after fierce fight between my wife and stress of job/store searching that pays enough etc.., i just cave in and restarted to smoke on and off from that time. Right now I have tried once again and I have failed again. :(

The life of free zone isn't easy as I thought it would be. Especially with inapt workers that seems like to blame everything on everybody. Everything that happens here, even stuff that have told million times to do and just ignores and it's never their fault if the things are not done. I am sick of people's inability to follow my simple system, when I introduce a system they said "wow great! It's very easy!" then they go back to their stupid way of doing things in about one week and mess up my settings. Many times it would be better off, I do everything here and let everybody go. Yes I am that stressed out on these people that thinks company always have money and they are looking into be fired so they can sue or take home things because them taking or two people taking home things won't hurt the company. I just can't stand them all of sudden stops talks for 30 minutes for about absolutely nothing and they think they deserve to be paid more.

Why can't they listen. I just can't stand by next week, everything will be in a mess again. Day like this I say to myself why even try... Just do everything myself... Many times...

Tomorrow is another day... today una pequeno Marlboro Lights and no more... again...

My brain is telling me go ahead smoke one again. Let problem go away but in reality I know that smoking doesn't make it go away it just numbs my brain down a bit so I also becomes careless...