What's the name of the small hot peppers in the DR

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
You know, the one's that grow everywhere.

Also, has anyone had any experience in fermenting them to make a hot sauce? I ordered some starter, but it appears the starter only makes the fermentation process start faster.

THanks in advance.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We got some recently, little tiny red things, from Alida's sister's plant in her back yard.

OMFG!!!!!

HOT!!!!

I mean one molecule on the tongue caused an oral meltdown...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hmmm...I've always known it as "aji picante". This one I mean.

images

The Gustoso one (scotch bonnet) is not hot at all from what I remember.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Hehehe. Those are the ones. Gonna ferment some to make a hot sauce.

They are not scotch bonnets though, very small and shaped like a small jalapeno with a pointy tip.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Come on Cobra, man up, they ain't that hot......
I have never formented these little guys, but I dice them up and fill a litre bottle 3/4 full, put a little garlic and onion in and fill with olive oil and let stand for about a week, periodically shaking the he!! out of the bottle.
For use just pour on your food. When you run out of oil, just refill it and shake the he!! out of it a couple of times and leave for a couple of days and you got more hot sauce......great tasting and pretty spicy.....better than what you can buy here anyway

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Do you mean the little round ones? Not sure how it's spelled, but sounds like cachucha peppers??

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I did some searching and I think they are bird peppers aka pequin peppers. 100k to 140k on scoville scale

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
You know, the one's that grow everywhere.

Also, has anyone had any experience in fermenting them to make a hot sauce? I ordered some starter, but it appears the starter only makes the fermentation process start faster.

THanks in advance.

They are known as Aj? Caribe!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i think he means these but dont know what they are called apart from wild chiles, i have them growing in my garden but I didnt plant them

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Serrano peppers

images

Serrano peppers. They are moderately hot.

The small ones commonly found here are normally less hot than Serranos or Thai chiles.

images

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the ones i refered to are tiny - like 1/4 centimeter but chile shaped, pretty in a garden , i havent used then to cook but have been told they are pretty hot

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is the cachucha pepper, my Dominican mother-in-law used them in almost everything - comes sweet and HOT

PRODUCE03lg.jpg220px-Ajicitos.jpg

Aug 6, 2006
Try this recipe for hot sauce:
Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce Recipe - Allrecipes.com

The Scotch Bonnet is a very hot little pepper. There is another Dominican pepper, I think called a cachuca, that looks sort of similar, but is not quite as hot as a jalape?o. They sell both here in Miami. The Scotch bonnets are always labeled with that name, but the less hot peppers are sold with several different names.

I have found that after eating a really painfully hot pepper, a swig of vinegar, followed with a sip of milk is helpful.