Idea from Finland: Baby boxes

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
This might be interest to all those concerned about trying to give babies a better start in life. I came across this idea and thought it might be worth passing it along. Obviously it would need to be adapted to the DR needs.

BBC News - Why Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes

Shalena? La Profe? I posted it here in case other people might be able to use the idea wherever they might be.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Politicians in the DR often give poor pregnant women gifts of plastic bathtubs full of baby items.

I don't agree with handouts as such but they could benefit from some of the ideas in the article, like not including baby bottles to encourage breastfeeding, cloth nappies for environmental reasons, a picture book to encourage reading, and condoms!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I like the fact that to get the box ladies had to visit the doctor before being 4 months pregnant. A great incentive to get some pre-natal care, which by extension leads to a reduction in infant mortality rates.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There a many more "Free Choices" that could dramatically decrease infant mortality here in the DR.
If you want to give them a "Baby Box", i'm sure the "Politicos" would like to buy a few more votes doing just that.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"FREE CHOICES"
Nurse your babies for a year or two.
Get your babies immunized.
Don't load them with Fat,Sugar, and Salt.
Keep them off "Motores:, and the back of pick up trucks.
Use seat belts.
Don't let them ride with drunks.
and, Watching your kids, is a "Contact Sport"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
The whole point is education.

Information ahead of time on breast feeding. Information that goes home on birth control, and a free prescription etc. would go along way. I have to imagine that the whole birthing process in Finland is much better as well.

We can argue about it not being the nanny state's job to give out everything, but without education the cycle isn't going to break itself.

On the "nappie" issue, here's one for you, apparently a growing trend.

How to potty train your infant | Simple Mom (removed link that no longer works)

What environmental reasons for cloth nappies? Seeling the women sitting on the ground with a tub between their feet washing clothes and then dumpong the dirty water where the kids will be running thru it in a few minutes sounds liek bad environmental reasons if they have to also wash poop out of diapers and dump it in the yard.
Der Fish