Tourism Info Office For North Coast

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ministry of Tourism is opening an information office for the North Coast on the recommendation of the new Director of Tourism for North Coast. It will be located in Cabarete where the Director has his restaurant

From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]The Minister of Tourism, on the recommendation of the Director of Tourism Lorenzo Sancasani, commissioned to open an information office in Cabarete.[/h] [h=5]Lorenzo Sancasani[/h]
[h=5]Entrepreneurs and investors can obtain free information there about the regulations and permits for starting a business as a bar, restaurant or hotel. For the required licenses and other official documents you have to pay, of course, the applicable fees. The office will also serve as office entry point for complaints about agencies that want to charge various non-official services. Entrepreneurs who are approached by people who ask for fees for (unclear) services can inquire at the information office if the claim is legal. With the establishment of the Information Office Lorenzo Sancasani wants to make it easier and more reliable for (potential) investors to start a business in Sos?a or Cabarete.[/h]

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
There is another picture of that guy with bad teeth. Can we take a collection and send him to a real dentist in Santiago. He must have been going to a guy who does engine work and is a part time dentist.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
bad stock photos of him, unfortunately.

he has a history of promoting tourism on the north coast and being pro-business and a loud voice against corruption and misappropriation of funds in the local government. i believe he's making an honest attempt and working hard to improve things for the area overall. setting up an office to assist existing and new business owners, with part of the stated purpose to be helping fight unofficial 'fees' (read bribes/extortion) from local officials is most certainly a step in the right direction and having an official appointed by the president doing so adds some weight to the effort.

better to support him and his efforts than knock him for some bad photos.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
do we need any more info on starting a bar, restaurant or hotel? Dont think so! Is this guy related to someone and needed a job? If that is the case I understand.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
do we need any more info on starting a bar, restaurant or hotel? Dont think so! Is this guy related to someone and needed a job? If that is the case I understand.

'This guy' has worked hard to bring such events as the annual jazz festival here. He is a long time resident and local businessman. The answer is that local 'players' tend to exert pressure on new and existing businesses with 'fees' that don't actually exist. As an example, at a recent annual children's charity event a local official called the organizer on the morning of the event asking for a 'large donation' to himself to allow the event to continue.

Back when the curfew was set to midnight... the national government relaxed the rules for Cabarete. But, the bars could not stay open later again until they negotiated a fee with local powers. Same/similar goes on in Sosua. Small and large hindrances to doing business that cost everyone in the long term.

Having a proponent appointed by the president taking steps to curb such things is step in the right direction. If those making snide comments actually knew him and what goes on, you might think differently and at least give him a chance.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If those making snide comments actually knew him and what goes on, you might think differently and at least give him a chance.

There are some on DR1 who confuse snide comments with wit/humor.

I think the man is off to a good start as Director of Tourism for the North Coast and am impressed with how much support he seems to be getting from the President and Ministry of Tourism.

I believe anyone who knows of his efforts and success in Cabarete is very hopeful he will be able to do the same for the entire North Coast.

Not all may be aware he is the owner of a pizza restaurant in Cabarete that threads in the archives call the best of its type in the area.