A new Apartment building going up in Santo Domingo D.N.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
A new Apartment building going up in Santo Domingo D.N.

27062013398731008013614.jpg

33282513398717341348316.jpg

19280213398712674682111.jpg

64468513398736674679712.jpg

62152213398741674679210.jpg

24100413398724674680986.jpg

32713913398727008014012.jpg

54805613398708341349238.jpg

38702213398744674678919.jpg

58255813398746341345485.jpg

[video=vimeo;52522915]http://vimeo.com/52522915[/video]

33874154358148043052177.jpg

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
After a Month..

My opinion(not a fact) I believe with so many buildings going up and so many choices,you can get more bang for your buck,especially on the not so new torres.Bella vista has a downtown feel mixed with Queens(nyc) Ave Enriquillo from AV Privada to Luperon has a Upper west side feel,Naco and Piantini Are like SOHO/Tribecca.Arroyo Hondo is like Bayside I would say.If you travel a lot back and forth,they say a torre is the way to go.Traffic wise,Bella Vista is not bad.To buy I think is best to stick from Churchill To Ortega y Gasset(east-west) and from Roberto Pastoriza to John F.Kennedy(north south) Maybe even two blocks south of Kennedy) Sleepy Pockets like Evaristo,La Julia and La esperilla might give you more bang for your buck.I say don't pay more than $1000 USD M2(even that is too much) But that's about what they are asking.I mentioned between those area because it seems that they tend to fix thing quick(by DR standards)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
My opinion(not a fact) I believe with so many buildings going up and so many choices,you can get more bang for your buck,especially on the not so new torres.Bella vista has a downtown feel mixed with Queens(nyc) Ave Enriquillo from AV Privada to Luperon has a Upper west side feel,Naco and Piantini Are like SOHO/Tribecca.Arroyo Hondo is like Bayside I would say.If you travel a lot back and forth,they say a torre is the way to go.Traffic wise,Bella Vista is not bad.To buy I think is best to stick from Churchill To Ortega y Gasset(east-west) and from Roberto Pastoriza to John F.Kennedy(north south) Maybe even two blocks south of Kennedy) Sleepy Pockets like Evaristo,La Julia and La esperilla might give you more bang for your buck.I say don't pay more than $1000 USD M2(even that is too much) But that's about what they are asking.I mentioned between those area because it seems that they tend to fix thing quick(by DR standards)

Oh oh...now you're going to incur the wrath of Hernandez for comparing Santo Domingo to NY.

May 12, 2005
Looks like a building boom in SD. The cynic in me says that there is an awful lot of money being washed. The optimist in me says that this shows faith in the future of the country and an improvement in the local economy. Instead of building endless torres, I would like to see them rehab the remaining old stately homes with the courtyards from the 30s-50s that the middle and upper middle class called home. That would add a nice touch to the city and bring back some old neighborhoods.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Looks like a building boom in SD. The cynic in me says that there is an awful lot of money being washed. The optimist in me says that this shows faith in the future of the country and an improvement in the local economy. Instead of building endless torres, I would like to see them rehab the remaining old stately homes with the courtyards from the 30s-50s that the middle and upper middle class called home. That would add a nice touch to the city and bring back some old neighborhoods.

I don't agree fully with the cynic in you, but partially. Some projects are funded to launder or move large amounts of cash, but those are well known by most people even before they put the first slab down. The majority is pure economics!

As RE prices shoot up in the D.N., most developers seek to get maximum ROIs in each new project. That means each project seeks to overshadow the last one.

As far as those old single family homes? Some hoods are fighting and winning some as well as losing some.

The last fight went over well for one of those hoods, when they put a halt via the courts to la Torre de Plata.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

My question is where are the buyers for all the new apartments?

In the States, most folks take a 30 year mortgage but that is really not possible here since the interest rates are not fixed for a long time. You may get a fixed rate mortgage for five or nine years but that is it.

apartments here in Gazcue are selling slowly in the modest range of 100k or so, so I would expect that those over in real City are far more..

Now folks who make 100k pesos a month are consider to making a good salary.

could someone post the prices on some of these?

I am really curious.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
My question is where are the buyers for all the new apartments?

In the States, most folks take a 30 year mortgage but that is really not possible here since the interest rates are not fixed for a long time. You may get a fixed rate mortgage for five or nine years but that is it.

apartments here in Gazcue are selling slowly in the modest range of 100k or so, so I would expect that those over in real City are far more..

Now folks who make 100k pesos a month are consider to making a good salary.

could someone post the prices on some of these?

I am really curious.

Those nice apartments in the Poligon you see the pics of, I would guess the low entry price is 250k going up to north of a million for PH

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
ok here are some prices from a company that sells a lot of the new construction

Timeshomes.com

I thought the prices would be higher. But they are not. So there are perhaps lots of folks who can afford them since there seem to be lots of folks who can afford jeepetas and the gas to run them.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think that since "P-Man" earns his living, hyping Dominican business', he should have to pay to advertise here on DR!
Love all those computer generated images of unbuilt apt. bldgs.!
WHAT, no MALLS to advertise today???
It's most all drug money.
Both to build, and then to purchase.
Even if a huge building remains mostly unsold, the "Bad Guys" can claim "Rental Income" from the vacant apts.
"Dirty Dinero" become "LEGITIMATE" income.
How can you tell when "PICHADO" is lying??????????????????????????????????
He posts more "Pretty Pictures"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
I think that they are hoping to go after this market .....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DuXdBM99-BY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jackcrew

Aug 5, 2010
I see these photos of various high-rise apartments as well as the skyline of Santo Domingo. My question: are these skyscraper apartments built according to any earthquake code? The island is on a major fault line. How well do these structures withstand a quake similar to the one in Haiti? I would like to know this information before buying. Thanks...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I see these photos of various high-rise apartments as well as the skyline of Santo Domingo. My question: are these skyscraper apartments built according to any earthquake code? The island is on a major fault line. How well do these structures withstand a quake similar to the one in Haiti? I would like to know this information before buying. Thanks...

Most of the buildings built in the last decade are up to code, but the older ones may need checks due to vices in construction.

A 7.0 quake in the D.N. will certainly cause damages, no if or buts about that! Whomever thinks it can just ride the waves must be day dreaming...

But, and this is the big factor in that "damages" wording. Buildings may show fractured beams, collapsed fly walls, window damages, etc... But you can be certain we will not see a pancake effect like in Haiti in major proportions.

There will be some 100% failures, some partial collapses and some structural damages that will render buildings unsafe to live or even walk into. But these will be a very reduced number compared to others with relatively medium damages.

After living in Japan for some years, I came to learn there are no quake proof buildings. Just buildings that will sustain major shock waves and still allow the occupants to emerge alive from the ordeal. One good example of what we can expect in SD if a so called "Haiti" type quake hits, is to look at the most recent quake that hit Chile.

If it helps to put your mind to peace, if two equal magnitude quakes (like Haiti) hit in SD and San Juan (Puerto Rico) at the same time, you would be safer in the city of SD than in San Juan!!!!

If something like that happened in SD, I think you should be more worried about the possibility of a tsunami coming into the city than the buildings getting flat like pancakes...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
well I guess the money has got to get laundered and back in circulation. Someone has to do it. And since the Dominican basically control distribution of crack all the way into Canada that is a lot of money. So why not build up the Capital? Just do not know where they are going to find enough people to actually fit into the lifestyle of those buildings, if you know what I mean? You cannot have happy empty buildings. Maybe they can get sorta dummy lights to come on at night to make the sky line look good.

but right now the City looks like it is Named Se Vende/ Se Alquila