Have You Seen This

Status
Not open for further replies.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Dominican Watchdog seems to have a hate on for all things Dominican The people that run it must spend all there time searching out anything negative and if the can not find it they will make it up.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Dunno anything about this site. But I do know lots of violence against foreigners is covered up and deliberately not put on DR1. Just because you haven't read about doesn't mean it's a safe area.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Dunno anything about this site. But I do know lots of violence against foreigners is covered up and deliberately not put on DR1. Just because you haven't read about doesn't mean it's a safe area.

Who is covering it up? And who is purposefully keeping it off DR1???

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
ONE look at that site and I said to myself... "Looks sketchy to me." And that was just based on the design and extensive use of "alarm signals". After reading a few lines, it was apparent the "writer" (using the term loosely), has an agenda AND an axe to grind. One can find stuff like this ALL OVER the www, not just aimed at D.R.

People should use a VERY heavy "B.S. filter" whenever reading stuff on the internet.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Make a statement like that, you have to be prepared to back it up if you want to be considered credible. On this or anything else.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ken, what is your connection to that website? It's been posted several times on DR1.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
I traveled to DR not long ago for the first time. I didn't feel unsafe.

Then again, I did exercise common sense. I didn't wear any jewelry, I didn't talk on the phone while walking the streets, I didn't walk alone at night or if I was outdoors at night, it was mostly in my rental car and within the Santo Domingo vicinity, I was very polite but very eloquent and confident when dealing with the locals. It helped plenty that my Spanish is very fluent.

Poverty is rampant, and with any country facing that prospect, one has to consider the consequences behind letting people know indirectly that you have money.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken, what is your connection to that website? It's been posted several times on DR1.

No connection and don't recall seeing it before. I think it is garbage.

If I had seen it on DR1 before I would not have posted the link.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Make a statement like that, you have to be prepared to back it up if you want to be considered credible. On this or anything else.

Who's going to put the publisher's feet to the coals. Credibility IS the issue, but it's up to the damaged parties to follow up. Everyone that has anything to do with DR is being damaged? We'll see who and/or if someone steps up, and if this issue has legs in terms of its contestableness? If not, credibility can and will be assumed?

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013

I've been on DR1 since April and not seen it. Did I miss it? Does it matter? The post gave me a start. I have interest in DR and publications such as that posted by Ken are disconcerting. That said, it makes me wonder why you would diminish Ken's thread. Is there something else that we need to know about?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Who's going to put the publisher's feet to the coals. Credibility IS the issue, but it's up to the damaged parties to follow up. Everyone that has anything to do with DR is being damaged? We'll see who and/or if someone steps up, and if this issue has legs in terms of its contestableness? If not, credibility can and will be assumed?

What are you talking about? You have quoted me but your post seems to have nothing to do with the post you quoted.

My statement was directed not at the publisher of the website, but at the poster who said that many reports of violence against foreigners are not only not on DR1 but are "deliberately not put on DR1."

Make a statement like that and you have to be prepared to back it up.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013

I wasn't putting your "feet to the coals." If you read further I believe I defend your post. No harm, no foul. Thanks for the post.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That website has been discussed on DR1 many times before, going back years, on many subjects.

It tends to sensationalize everything.

Wasn't the owner once banned from here?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"C'Mon" Frank, you KNOW that your statement is NOT VALID!\, and misleading as well.
MANY who read, and post on DR1 NEVER/or Can't, read a local newspaper, or understand local TV, or radio news programs.
Those of us who do tell a different story.
Being a Dominican woman is dangerous enough!
The papers are filled with "Dominicanas" being murdered by their "Esposos, Ex Esposos,Novios, vecinos,jealous women", the list goes on!
Just being "On The Road" is dangerous!
In the DR, you don't have to "LOOK" for Trouble, Trouble finds YOU!
There are MANY security methods one should take here, NONE are "Dominican Proof"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Better to get the stories out, and not try to hide, or minimize them!
Fore Warned, Is Fore Armed"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
For my first post I thought this would be a good one to reply to. Several years ago we bought a property in the PC area and during the construction process it was seized by the DR government as the developer was an escaped fugitive from Spain. As time went on we learned that he was a drug dealing, money laundering POS but had a thriving legitimate business in the DR area as a land developer. We did our due diligence and researched everything on him, the builder that he hired and everyone else that was associated with the project.
Our research showed nothing unusual. If this guy had "Drug Dealer/ Money Launderer" on his card we would have stayed away. As nothing showed up we and several other people put our money down and the project started. We where 2 weeks away from taking possession and paying our balance when a whole truck load of police with automatic weapons said "no you cant have it" and they seized it. At this time 5 other owners had taken possession.
With a lot of fighting, arguing, begging and whatever else it took the project was given back to the builder to finish and close on the sold units. We got ours back 2 years to the day it was seized. The builder that took it over honored everyone's original contract with the drug dealer and overall things are pretty good.
The reason I bring this up is that all of this was presented to the Dominican Watchdog. They ran one story of the seizure but have refused to report the good news ending. They truly are a bunch of negative a-holes that have nothing better to do that try to bring the DR and its people down to there level.
By the way the drug dealer was arrested in Venezuela earlier this year and deported back to Spain. Hopefully he can't buy his way out this time.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It's only a dangerous country if you mess with underage girls, girls 40 years younger and drugs.

Very dangerous to say something so stupid. I was in none of those groups when shot, nor was Mr Hartley. It is supposition like that that makes people think 'It won't happen to me' and let their guard down. People get burgled and maybe shot if they go out and buy a safe, they can be shot if they accidentally run someone over, they can be killed for not paying liquidation, they can be killed for jealousy, for simple robbery or attempted robbery. The list is endless. And Dominicans will kill each other over an argument, losing dominoes, changing the TV channel - all of these have happened.

matilda

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"A+" Matilda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's why everyone who "THINKS" they know about real life, AND death, here in the DR should read your latest book,"Saucepans"!
According to Frank,since my wife is ONLY 30 years younger than I am, I am not worried anymore!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Status
Not open for further replies.