Armed forces patrol the streets of SD

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Since last week, the army took the streets of SD (idk, maybe other cities too). But it is very weird that they're not using army vehicles but brand new MOPC (Obras publicas) vehicles, wth?

As much as I like that something is being done about crime, I really hope this is part of a well planned and long lasting action.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I think it is smart to involve the army. Tigeres getting more trouble and new recruits getting an opportunity for target practice. :devious:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There have been several articles in Dominican papers about this, part of Danilo's 'security' program. I hope it works.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Can you imagine: They even announced checkpoints and the detention of persons that fit profiles? My oh my!! Human Rights people are all in a tizzie!!!

17-35, funny hair, pants way too low, baseball cap on sideways, tattoos, two men on a motorcycle, the "look" of a "tiguere"..

HEHEHEH...yeah this could get interesting. Let's see how long it lasts..

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just another, "Dog & Pony Show"!!!!!!!!
The people complain about crime and violence being out of control, the government/Policia National, trot out their "Tried & True", yet always "NEW", methods for curbing crime.
There is an article in today's "Diario Libre" saying that "crime" :bandit::bandit::bandit: has come down in the last 12 months!
Now THERE's a Statistic that must have come from "Pichardo's" PR firm! :cool::cool::cool::rolleyes:
Where can I get, a "Grain Of salt" here in the DR?
Make that one thousand "Grains"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, i saw the article too:
De hecho, el a?o pasado se cometieron 5,232 asaltos en el Distrito Nacional y la provincia Santo Domingo, y 23 muertes violentas cometidas por bandoleros, que aprovecharon a sus v?ctimas en las calles, rob?ndoles celulares, carteras y dinero, entre otros objetos.
Mientras que en el mismo per?odo y en las mismas ciudades, este a?o, s?lo se cometieron 3,425 asaltos y 18 muertes violentas en las mismas condiciones que el a?o anterior.

i like the wording :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There have been several articles in Dominican papers about this, part of Danilo's 'security' program. I hope it works.
Let's also hope it's not the beginning of a Police State.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
These stats mean nothing to me. Robberies are less and less reported every day because people don't think it is worth the time. Deaths are a better measure.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's just the Dominican way of denying responsibility.
They try to convince you that it "Could Be Worse", no matter how BAD it actually IT!
We should start a DR1 "Newspaper Club".
We could get together every day here, and discuss the happenings from the daily newspapers.
Barring THAT, would everyone sign up to get the "DR1 Daily News" emailed to you every day???
It's painless, in English, and you WILL learn something!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I heartily agree with "Castle", just as I do on most things.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
These stats mean nothing to me. Robberies are less and less reported every day because people don't think it is worth the time. Deaths are a better measure.

This and people can't trust those they can report to. They fear greatly for themseves and loved ones and rightly so.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
The people complain about crime and violence being out of control, the government/Policia National, trot out their "Tried & True", yet always "NEW", methods for curbing crime.
There is an article in today's "Diario Libre" saying that "crime" :bandit::bandit::bandit: has come down in the last 12 months!
Now THERE's a Statistic that must have come from "Pichardo's" PR firm! :cool::cool::cool::rolleyes:

Hurray for Salt!! and CC. The only thing he "sugar coats" are his chicas.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
My lady friend confirms the increased police presence at Expreso JFK and Av Abraham Lincoln.

Interestingly, I don't remember this particular area being prone to crime. It is a very busy intersection though.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Thanks" Deyvi!
Omar, sadly, EVERY area of the DR is now,"Prone To Crime"!
Except the part where "P-Man" lives.
And THAT's Orlando Florida"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I once suggested that all posts have their point of origin listed.
You would be very surprised how many of our resident "Spin Doctors" know so much about what's going on in the DR, from the USA, Canada, England, and Europe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now I realize, that for many, learning Spanish is VERY difficult,some don't have the time, some don't have the desire,but at least read the "Dr1 Daily News", (It's In English)
That way you won't have to get all your ideas about day-to-living out of "Thin Air" or from chip, Nals, or the "P-Man"!
But at least chip actually does live, works, and is raising his girls here!!!
For THAT , at least,he has my respect.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Yeah... I read all the warnings about the crime before taking my trip there... I still felt good and ready to deal with DR.

As it turns out, from my personal experience, you would need to be a moron to get yourself in trouble down there.

I wanted to visit Jarabacoa with my lady friend so I can see where she was born, but I heeded the warnings about driving in Autopista Duarte and decided against it, at least for this time around.

Now that I know where to go, what to do, and what to get when I arrive at SDQ, not only would I look like a seasoned tourist, but I would know what stupidity to avoid.

It really isn't that bad of a country.... at least from my personal experience.... from the time I spent there. Unless you have to live there and make ends meet.... That I'm still puzzled as to how people live

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013

Who writes your material. It just keeps on "aflowin." You remind me of a liberal Rush Limbaugh and a conservative JayZ all at once. You have skilz. Please, don't stop aflowin.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The crime is a function of economic problems, not enough $$$ to go around.

Funny how the sharp increase began about the time the taxes went up.

And according to some, there are mechanisms being put into place to collect MORE taxes making the problem even worse.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
"Thanks" Deyvi!
Omar, sadly, EVERY area of the DR is now,"Prone To Crime"!
Except the part where "P-Man" lives.
And THAT's Orlando Florida"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I once suggested that all posts have their point of origin listed.
You would be very surprised how many of our resident "Spin Doctors" know so much about what's going on in the DR, from the USA, Canada, England, and Europe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now I realize, that for many, learning Spanish is VERY difficult,some don't have the time, some don't have the desire,but at least read the "Dr1 Daily News", (It's In English)
That way you won't have to get all your ideas about day-to-living out of "Thin Air" or from chip, Nals, or the "P-Man"!
But at least chip actually does live, works, and is raising his girls here!!!
For THAT , at least,he has my respect.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mis brothers y mis hermanas: full disclosure. I live in Yonkers, N.Y. (NYC area). If you've read my posts you know that I'm in the process of establishing a long-term physical presence on the east coast (DR). I will say this on my behalf, my wife is Dominican-born, my deceased dad was an expat in DR for many years, and I have a desire to continue to want to learn everything I can about the DR. That said, if ever I come off like I know more than I should know about the DR, please pull my coat (playera).

I am a discerning man and will defer to intelligence and equal opportunity of expression. I draw a line, however, where discretion meets excretion. 'Nuff said.

There have been more checkpoint stops in between Gasper Hernandez and Sabaneta.
One was there yesterday, they wanted me to stop with a shotgun at my car but the guy didn't have a uniform so I just kept on going, then guy across the street did have a military clothes on.

I would have stopped at a busy area if they chased me down. Stupid of me, maybe yes. I've been stopped so much in the last month. Damn my Toyota Corolla!