anyone know anything about cheesecake?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
My wife is part of a small group of culinary afficionados here in Santiago and they each are presenting a dish tomorrow for a meeting. I have suggested she try to do an auyama cheesecake inspired by pumpkin cheesecake I've had in the past.. what do you guys think about the substitution? I think the idea of using a local ingredient in an international dish should be interesting.

Google Image Result for http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-F0ZMZQa6Qaw/T3Jbme8mD_I/AAAAAAAAB18/H8GLjZbpCg0/s1600/auyama.jpg

is a pic of an auyama for people who may have not seen one, I've also never seen auyama in a sweet dish.. thanks guys! Should be interesting and if you are in Santiago if it turns out well maybe we'll have some to share :)

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
You've never heard of flan de auyama? Very popular in the DR. Yes ,she can use auyama in the cheesecake. Actually, you can use any kind of pureed pumpkin.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
you must be the only person I have met (well online anyway) that likes Pumpkin cheesecake.

I like it. Seems to cut down on the sweetness or something. Sayanora, I think it's a great idea let us know how it turns out.

May 29, 2006
When I make pumpkin cheese cake, I use the recipe on the Libby's can for pumpkin pie and sub a pound of cream cheese for the condensed milk. The main prob with making the pumpkin from scratch is it tends to have a very high water content. I use crushed Nilla wafers with some butter and sugar for the crust.

I'd try cutting the squash in half, scooping it out, then baking cut side down in a greased pan with a little water, as you would a butternut squash. You'd only need about a cup and a half of cooked squash for the recipe. A little sugar in the pan will caramelize which will also add flavor.

Btw. *Pumpkin* sold in cans isn't really pumpkin but a squash with a sweeter flesh and better color. It's very similar to the squash in the DR.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
When I make pumpkin cheese cake, I use the recipe on the Libby's can for pumpkin pie and sub a pound of cream cheese for the condensed milk. The main prob with making the pumpkin from scratch is it tends to have a very high water content. I use crushed Nilla wafers with some butter and sugar for the crust.

I'd try cutting the squash in half, scooping it out, then baking cut side down in a greased pan with a little water, as you would a butternut squash. You'd only need about a cup and a half of cooked squash for the recipe. A little sugar in the pan will caramelize which will also add flavor.

Btw. *Pumpkin* sold in cans isn't really pumpkin but a squash with a sweeter flesh and better color. It's very similar to the squash in the DR.

That's the best way to make homemade pumpkin pie by baking the pumpkin pieces instead of boiling. When making sweet potato pie I roast the sweet potatoes, scoop out the flesh and mash.

May 29, 2006
Pumpkin or squash have a lovely delicate flavor, imo,it is ruined with the cheese.

One or the other for me.

You have to use cream cheese or Mascarpone cheese, not a ricotta or other savory cheese. You could also do a cream fresh by incorporating a bit of lime or lemon juice into heavy cream with a whisk.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Here is the best pumpkin pie recipe I've ever tried. If you use auyama you should adjust the sugar by making it 1 cup of white sugar and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I've done this and it is simply...amazing pie! A relative of mine, who have never liked pumpkin pie, ate this modified version of mine and kept eating it until many pieces were gone. It's very good.

Ingredients
Crust:
1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 stick melted salted butter

Filling:
3 (8-ounce) packages Philadelphia cream cheese, at room temperature
1 (15-ounce) can pureed pumpkin/auyama
3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups sugar (or 1 cup white + 1/2 cup brown if using auyama)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

For crust:
In medium bowl, combine crumbs, sugar and cinnamon. Add melted butter. Press down flat into a 9-inch springform pan. If you do not have a springform, use any other pie pan.

For filling:
Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add pumpkin/ayuama puree, eggs, egg yolk, sour cream, sugar and the spices. Add flour and vanilla. Beat together until well combined.

Pour into crust. Spread out evenly and place in oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.

Original recipe: Paula Deen - the queen of incredibly tasty and fattening foods!

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
When I was there in February, I made a limon cheesecake to see what it tasted like! It was well received by all. I also made a banana cream pie from scratch and it too was really, really good. I make my cheesecakes with the baking and all that. I make Pumpkin Cheesecake for Thanksgiving here, each year. It is getting the spices together to give it a Pumpkin Pie flavour that can make it difficult to do well.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
When I was there in February, I made a limon cheesecake to see what it tasted like! It was well received by all. I also made a banana cream pie from scratch and it too was really, really good. I make my cheesecakes with the baking and all that. I make Pumpkin Cheesecake for Thanksgiving here, each year. It is getting the spices together to give it a Pumpkin Pie flavour that can make it difficult to do well.

You can buy pumpkin pie spice (a blend of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger and allspice) already mixed. I use 2 tablespoons when making a pumpkin pie.