Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default anyone know anything about cheesecake?

My wife is part of a small group of culinary afficionados here in Santiago and they each are presenting a dish tomorrow for a meeting. I have suggested she try to do an auyama cheesecake inspired by pumpkin cheesecake I've had in the past.. what do you guys think about the substitution? I think the idea of using a local ingredient in an international dish should be interesting.

Google Image Result for http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-F0ZMZQa6Qaw/T3Jbme8mD_I/AAAAAAAAB18/H8GLjZbpCg0/s1600/auyama.jpg

is a pic of an auyama for people who may have not seen one, I've also never seen auyama in a sweet dish.. thanks guys! Should be interesting and if you are in Santiago if it turns out well maybe we'll have some to share

2. Likes pollogringo, waytogo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

you must be the only person I have met (well online anyway) that likes Pumpkin cheesecake.

4. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davetuna View Post
    you must be the only person I have met (well online anyway) that likes Pumpkin cheesecake.
    uh oh.. maybe my weird palate is coming back to haunt me.. i also love sweet potatoe pie and pumpkin pie.. is that bad too?

nah.. i'm not crazy

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html

893 people gave this 5 stars lol.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

looks ok. Pumpkin and pecan could be nice.
    Personally, I prefer the British way.

No eggs, no cooking. Simply mix and chill.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You've never heard of flan de auyama? Very popular in the DR. Yes ,she can use auyama in the cheesecake. Actually, you can use any kind of pureed pumpkin.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you, I tried it and didn't like the combination, I guess it was the texture.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it. Seems to cut down on the sweetness or something. Sayanora, I think it's a great idea let us know how it turns out.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

When I make pumpkin cheese cake, I use the recipe on the Libby's can for pumpkin pie and sub a pound of cream cheese for the condensed milk. The main prob with making the pumpkin from scratch is it tends to have a very high water content. I use crushed Nilla wafers with some butter and sugar for the crust.

I'd try cutting the squash in half, scooping it out, then baking cut side down in a greased pan with a little water, as you would a butternut squash. You'd only need about a cup and a half of cooked squash for the recipe. A little sugar in the pan will caramelize which will also add flavor.

Btw. *Pumpkin* sold in cans isn't really pumpkin but a squash with a sweeter flesh and better color. It's very similar to the squash in the DR.

11. Likes bronzeallspice, waytogo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought pumpkin cheesecake would be wonderful but was disappointed when I tasted it.

Flan de auyama - gem squash or West Indies squash - Recipe: Flan de auyama (Gem squash pudding) – Dominican Cooking

13. Likes davetuna, bronzeallspice, AnnaC liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    When I make pumpkin cheese cake, I use the recipe on the Libby's can for pumpkin pie and sub a pound of cream cheese for the condensed milk. The main prob with making the pumpkin from scratch is it tends to have a very high water content. I use crushed Nilla wafers with some butter and sugar for the crust.

I'd try cutting the squash in half, scooping it out, then baking cut side down in a greased pan with a little water, as you would a butternut squash. You'd only need about a cup and a half of cooked squash for the recipe. A little sugar in the pan will caramelize which will also add flavor.

Btw. *Pumpkin* sold in cans isn't really pumpkin but a squash with a sweeter flesh and better color. It's very similar to the squash in the DR.
    That's the best way to make homemade pumpkin pie by baking the pumpkin pieces instead of boiling. When making sweet potato pie I roast the sweet potatoes, scoop out the flesh and mash.

15. Likes AnnaC liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast