Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tinaco problems

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default tinaco problems

hey fellow dr1 amigos

a quick question. shouldn't my tinaco have two check valves? one by the exit of the tinaco? (i have and can see) the direction facing away from the tank into the house. the other one i can not find , or there is not another. my friends who are local Dominicans say that there is only one check valve used here. How is this possible?

the problem i am having and is only recently is that when the water from the town is shut off the tinaco drains back to the source and the tinaco is empty in about an hour. so what i have been doing is shutting off the valve on the main line after they shut the water off. Should there not be another check valve somewhere in this vicinity not allowing the water to enter the city lines?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The check valve should be in the pipe that runs TO the tinaco, so when there is no water pressure from the main it shuts off and the tinaco doesn't drain. A check valve on the pipe FROM the tinaco makes no sense to me, as water is never going back up from the house to the tinaco.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Many systems I've seen here have one pipe connecting to the tank that serves as a feed and a supply. Generally, only one check valve is used and is installed shortly after the pump. A gate valve is generally installed close to the tank.

Post Thanks / Like

you would not need one on the down stream side. I guess depending on what you have it connected to. Most back flow preventers (check valve) are meant to prevent contaminating the water supply. So yes there should be a valve to stop the flow back to the crappy city water lines... They do not know how to do water lines very well. the city uses PVC for pipe??????

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

is it a gravity feed or a pressure system?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Our tinaco is set up that the water feeds in from the top, and there is a float up there that shuts the flow when tinaco is full [like a giant toilet tank float]. From the bottom the water feeds out to the house.

Like someone else said, Mr. AE says there should be a check in the line coming in from the city water, which lets water in and doesn't let it out.

Administrator
    DR1.com

7. Likes gray liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You need two check valves.one from city water pipe going in to tinaco only ond one from tinaco going out to house.Now do you have a connectipn that a tinaco pipe is going in to house and a T where city water also goes into house??There is where you need in valve only on city water pipe.
    Bob

9. Likes gray liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the delay had to step out
    this is what i have and can see

looks like i only have one check valve.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

the check valve i have is used for when the water pressure is on it diverts to fill tank from the top using the float valve. all this works fine as the tinaco fills fine. but when the water system is off the tinaco drains fast . i have went up there and measured the drop is about 10" in 20 min, i guess i am supplying the street. would this other check valve be buried somewhere cause i can not find it? possibly they didn't put one into the system?

its a gravity fed system
    thanks alterego i probably have the same system

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

evidently even if it is buried, it is not working. As the other guys said, probable need one on your intake.

Is this a new problem? how did you discover it?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast