Living in this country

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
A question for everyone:

can these lovely " upper middle class" dominican neighbors do ongoing work in their beloved Torres?

where my wife and I live is considered an " upper middle class area", our neighbors all drive in big trucks

and seem to think their **** does not stink.

we have new neighbors who bought the " penthouse" a holy word in this culture, it seems.

they are building a roof on top of our building roof which according to what I hear is common place in this culture.

my question: are there any rules against this?

can they just start banging at 7 in the morning and go all day long with banging, hammers and drills?

my wife thinks there is no rules in this country against this.

If someone can please shed some light on this, I will appreciate it.

thank you in advance.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I went through the same situation with the 4th floor owner taking over the roof area to build himself a second floor. Complains came and went, some threatened to sue him. In the end, nobody did anything and my neighbor now enjoys an extra two rooms with a sweet deck and a hot tub on the roof that should belong to everyone. This kind of people would do things "because they can". Me? I think I knew better not to get involved, only took it up with him when the construction workers got my black car grey with all the cement they were dropping.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Funny, I own a penthouse as well 5th and 6th floor and one of the selling features they promoted was i own the roof above my apartment, where i could further build. I put some solar, and satelite but who knows maybe one day add another sitiing area. The caveat, there is an area at the back of the roof which we consider common area for those who want tinaco or satelite. The other difference is there is no fire escape or any acces to this roof so it does not get used by anyone. You would have to access by ladder from my terrace to even get there. Everyone in our 10 unit building has insuite washer and dryer so no ropa hanging. As far as worker noise in the DR, Good luck!!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I have a friend who is a builder and the way he sells his apartments is the top apartment "owns" the roof. I think that's common in The DR. Typically these apartments cost more than the others without roof access.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
my neighbor across the street starts 3 years ago !!!!!! to renovate his house. Since that we have monday to saturday always at least 5 Haitian workers in front of my house mixing cement. Since three years I got all that cement dust into my house. The Haitian have party on saturday with their families when there wife and kids come to get a part of the money. All my family including the dog is now very known by all that workers, they sitting on my side of the street because it is shadow there. From a normal point of view, its not possible, but here it is . YOU CANNOT DO ANYTHING AGAINST THAT BASTARDS WHO DO WHAT THEY WONT BECAUSE IT IS LIKE THAT IN THIS COUNTRY.
The only thing you can do is move.

my neighbor across the street starts 3 years ago !!!!!! to renovate his house. Since that we have monday to saturday always at least 5 Haitian workers in front of my house mixing cement. Since three years I got all that cement dust into my house. The Haitian have party on saturday with their families when there wife and kids come to get a part of the money. All my family including the dog is now very known by all that workers, they sitting on my side of the street because it is shadow there. From a normal point of view, its not possible, but here it is . YOU CANNOT DO ANYTHING AGAINST THAT BASTARDS WHO DO WHAT THEY WONT BECAUSE IT IS LIKE THAT IN THIS COUNTRY.
The only thing you can do is move.

This house across from us is going up quick! It's big and they work 7 days a week 7am till 8pm in the DARK!
Oh i know about all the cement, dogs, kids in our area. At least I met the guy 2 months ago and he is nice. He should be back in a month so I am hoping it will be done by then? At least the banging part?!

To be fair i'm sure we drive the locals nuts with our 4 month non stop workers coming, but the locals have nothing better to do than come and watch and they are awake at that time anyways ;-) I was shocked when so many people would come and watch our pool getting made or fence going up etc... they just stare in amazement!!

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
This is why I have to live in a gated community. I give the op all the credit for rolling with the situation.