Security Message From US Embassy Re Robberies at Intersections in SD

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Recent press reports and police statistics indicate a rise in armed robberies in various traffic intersections within the National District. These crimes generally take the form of two individuals on a motorcycle approaching stopped cars in busy intersections and robbing the occupants at gunpoint. Press reports also enumerate the intersections within the national district with the highest number of reported cases. All U.S. citizens should exercise extreme caution while traveling through the following intersections:
- John F. Kennedy & Abraham Lincoln
- John F. Kennedy & M?ximo G?mez
- John F. Kennedy & Ortega y Gasset
- Ortega y Gasset & San Mart?n
- Ortega y Gasset & Paraguay (entrance to Plaza de la Salud)
- 27 de Febrero & Churchill

Press reports also state a rise in these same types of crimes on the west side of the district, as follows:
Avenida Luper?n in front of various business establishments, including El Canal, Jumbo, Happyland and La Sirena.
The U.S. Embassy reminds all U.S. citizens residing in the Dominican Republic to lock their vehicle doors and windows to avoid becoming targets of opportunity by showing extreme affluence (excessive jewelry, careless use of expensive electronics, etc.) and to secure personal items in the cargo compartments of your vehicles, away from public view. It is imperative to understand that criminals will resort to violence if challenged. Therefore, in the event of a robbery, no one should resist. Please refer to the link below for the press report.
Los

The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo would like to remind all U.S. citizens to remain aware of your surroundings at all time, maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
You can bet the police, that are patrolling the streets will kill the two individuals on the spot, if they happen to see them committing any crimes.

Last edited:

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Carjackers should be killed. Fla allows you to shoot anyone who attempts to enter or rob you whilst you are in your vehicle. It does take some practice to draw and fire from your vehicle so if you plan on defending yourself practice a bit first.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Carjackers should be killed. Fla allows you to shoot anyone who attempts to enter or rob you whilst you are in your vehicle. It does take some practice to draw and fire from your vehicle so if you plan on defending yourself practice a bit first.
Mom CB has direct experience with this in FL.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You can bet the police, that are patrolling the streets will kill the two individuals on the spot, if they happen to see them committing any crimes.

I bet most people rather visit places where they won't be robbed at gun point whether robbers get killed afterwards by the police or not :nervous:

The good news: we can just wait to visit after the police, momCb and johnny kill all the robbers :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ken, are you sure about THIS????
You better check with "Pichardo" , I bet he has a different "SPIN" !!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
If you can't find the "P-Man", he's in Orlando after all, try "Nals", the people in Connecticut usually know what's going on in SD! :p:p:p

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
These crimes generally take the form of two individuals on a motorcycle approaching stopped cars in busy intersections and robbing the occupants at gunpoint.
Policia Nacional. Two cops on a moto approaching stopped cars in busy intersections (or stopping them in any place) and robbing the occupants at gunpoint. Sometimes they are wearing uniform, sometimes not.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009

Hey JB, is this separate from the "Stand Your Ground" law or part of it? Would like to know more. I might customize a vehicle similar to the infamous "PUFF" plane used in NAM and go "Joy Riding" through some areas!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Puff The Magic Dragon" gunships, sounds like a plan, until we can get our hands on a "Neutron Bomb".
We all go to Miami for the day, and return to a "Paradise" that night!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
So are those intersections listed some of the most dangerous in SD, and have these attacks been occurring during the daytime hours as well?

I saw that Ave Sarasota and Bella Vista are not too far away. Would this area be less affected than the intersections mentioned?

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Hey JB, is this separate from the "Stand Your Ground" law or part of it? Would like to know more. I might customize a vehicle similar to the infamous "PUFF" plane used in NAM and go "Joy Riding" through some areas!!

I believe the court ruling was siding with the castle doctrine. ie home is castle car is home away from home so to speak.
There was a company in Johannesberg that made side flamethrowers and other macabre gizmos that would cut a carjacker at the knees so to speak. Personally I think situational awareness is ninety percent of the battle. The other ten would be the P 35
Lean forward from waist. Support hand pulls seat belt forward as pistol is drawn and moved up wrist under support arm. Fire three shots ........breathe check passenger side ......... fire as necessary.
Its really not the ideal solution but it beats being a victim.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
A lot of those intersections are the same places where the police cruise around looking for someone to shakedown "for tips". They might be a little hesitant to jump for fear of taking down a brother in arms.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Yes, daytime, read the full story here

The same, it's Santo Domingo de Sh#thole.

I got the basic message of the article (although my Spanish is quite bad). Have people been getting shot and dying in these daytime intersection robberies? I'm also wondering whether a taxi would be a more attractive target than a normal vehicle.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The DR has a very long history of men in uniform robbing, even killing, people.
REAL police men have been killed for their firearms, and the crooks often take their uniforms as well.
Therefore, you never know if the guy trying to stop you in the "Green Uniform", is an honest cop, a dishonest cop, or just a crook in a stolen, borrowed, and yes, even rented uniform.
It is always best not to stop on the street.
If you must stop, go into a gas station, supermarket, or Large dept. store, parking lot, well lit,if at night, or a police station.
There are really no "Good Solutions" to the problem, only ways to improve your odds!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
The basic message of the article is that a more attractive target is female drivers or female passengers of carro publico/taxi. As I understand, nobody was shot yet on those intersections during daytime, but you know, usually if the victim starts to resist, they start to shoot. Or sometimes they can shoot without any reason, just remember the case of a young lady who was shot in the face in Piantini a few months ago.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Has there been any highway robbery activity on the Autopista Las Americas, greeting arrivals at SDQ lately?