from wtf is that file

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so... no power all day. then in the afternoon we take dogs for a walk and notice the power is back. but strangely no power at home. so we go out to check what's up and there is no meter. someone stole our meter.
now, i am not versed in dominican theft logic so i am asking: why? why would someone steal a meter? what for?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Could it be why you originally have no power all day?

As for why? They don't need a reason.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You have to buy meters now if you want electricity. Easier to steal one than pay for one.
Was it a digital or analog style meter?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Got this from another site.

I had a hillbilly neighbor once who didn't pay his electric bill. When they shut off his power he pulled his meter, did something, replaced his meter and restored his power. The power company shut off his power at the pole. He shimmied up the pole and re-set the breaker. The power company took his meter. He stole mine. I called the power company, they called the sheriff.
When he got out of jail he apologized and gave me a pig.
Maybe in a couple weeks you'll get a pig.
posted by Floydd at 11:44 PM on January 29, 2009 [222 favorites]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ladronorte guys arrived, put two short wires inside the space where the meter was and we are back on the grid again. of course there is a blackout at the moment so effectively, still no hay luz.

ramesses story line seems to work in DR too. technicians said the physical meters get stolen but they are still "assigned" to the same location so someone could have connected our meter to their house, cranked up the air con and their power use will still register on our meter, as ours.

miesposo reported the issue to edenorte and is off to the police station now.

ladronorte guys arrived, put two short wires inside the space where the meter was and we are back on the grid again. of course there is a blackout at the moment so effectively, still no hay luz.

ramesses story line seems to work in DR too. technicians said the physical meters get stolen but they are still "assigned" to the same location so someone could have connected our meter to their house, cranked up the air con and their power use will still register on our meter, as ours.

OK that is f*cked! Your place looked pretty safe and protected too! Too bad the gun crazy neighbor wasn't around!
So I'm assuming you will have to buy the new one?
The next one you get I hope electrocutes people if they touch it :)

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
OK that is f*cked! Your place looked pretty safe and protected too! Too bad the gun crazy neighbor wasn't around!
So I'm assuming you will have to buy the new one?
The next one you get I hope electrocutes people if they touch it :)

Why buy a new one - it appears she is connected now (by Edenorte; so she can't be accused of illegal tampering) and has no meter - so no recorded usage...

Given the issues with Edenorte I wouldn't be in a hurry to get a meter :):):):)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Time to get "barrio" and run the AC, turn on all the lights and open all the doors.

Yeah, run the A/C and store the cold air in the fridge.....

Sorry to hear of your problems....... leave the dogs home when you go for a walk next time:nervous:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Some meters have coils with magnets and are stolen for the copper content.

Regards,

PJT

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

That would be true if you had a "smart" meter. That type of meter can be read remotely over the power lines without the need for someone to come to your house and read it. Do you know if you had a smart meter?

As more communities have smart meters installed, I can see how meter theft will grow as a problem.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
there is not enough metal in there to make it worth it. they will just charge more to everyone else. people are stupid.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
That would be true if you had a "smart" meter. That type of meter can be read remotely over the power lines without the need for someone to come to your house and read it. Do you know if you had a smart meter?

As more communities have smart meters installed, I can see how meter theft will grow as a problem.
pto pta have been replacing all with the new meters, we have one

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
security: it was stolen from the wall outside so that area is not covered by our security system. gun happy neighbour was fast asleep. it was about 5am, we figured. he has a camera outside that has our meter within reach but he was not recording (some HD problems). he got seriously pi**ed off thou and said he will have things sorted, put it to record 24/7 and step up his outside security too.

stealing from ladronorte: alas, after few hours or so at night no hay luz again. and since we are legally illegally connected ladronorte people said our normal consumption rate will be estimated and added to the bill. so yeah, we'll have to pay that too...

and at the police station miesposo was told to come back next day because the person responsible for theft reports was at home.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
Edenorte has been replacing meters where I live in Cabarete, but I still do not have a smart meter.
How do you know it is a smart meter?
I will try to post pic, yu can tell by looking at them. they have a digital readout

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
ladronorte
mj-laughing.gif