Job offers/opportunities?

cassidy

Jun 9, 2013
This summer (end of july) my friend and I will be traveling to DR from Canada looking to rent and live for 6 months. We are open as to where we would rent however we would like to find a job while we are there. We both are in the hospitality industry right now. Anyone know of any options or availabilities? We have been to DR twice in the past and loved it, which is why we are coming back! Thanks for all your help.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You can become employed unless you are a legal resident or citizen.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Might be worth checking that a little deeper. As I understand it, as long as you can prove (receipt that documents have began being processed) you have applied for your residency then a company can employ a certain amount of such people. Or of course get a work visa, I presume work visas are easy enough to get here?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Might be worth checking that a little deeper. As I understand it, as long as you can prove (receipt that documents have began being processed) you have applied for your residency then a company can employ a certain amount of such people. Or of course get a work visa, I presume work visas are easy enough to get here?
Keep in mind the residency process has to start in a person's home country to receive a temporary visa.

I'm not sure if it permits employment.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I don't understand your point about where the process starts. The three month stamp on your passport isn't to do with employment, as far as I know, thought that was just to give people enough time to enter the application once things are completed this side. Can you not apply for work visa from here?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm not aware of any reason why they can't look for work. Whether they will be hired is the question, is it not?

If they have something to offer an employer, who knows?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Cassidy,

Welcome to DR1!

To your question, even once you are a legal resident, it is exceptionally difficult to find a job in which you will earn a "livable" wage (which is often defined as earning between 1,500-2,500USD, bare minimum).

If you are only looking to be there for six months, I'd encourage you to delay your trip until the end of the year and save up enough to live on for your time out there. In the alternative, I'd suggest you take up something you can do online, such as web work, or writing copy or consulting.

If your goal, on the other hand, is to use "work" as a means to network and get to know the society a bit better, then volunteer and/or take classes at one of the local universities.

Six months isn't very long, I'd save my cash and then spend my time touring the country in between classes/projects. Be safe and good luck!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ask Frank if you can work in Cabaerte without "Papers".
I worked here in SD for 10 years, for the DR government .
In the DR many things a not "Legal", but that legality is not enforced.
I would think you could "Waitress", or be a "Time Share" Rep. without papers.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
There's lots of work here without papers, usually call centers but that's not really working holiday kinda employment. One little tip, there is no point in calling a company and asking if they employ without papers, they will never admit to it over the phone, too dangerous for them. But pop in and it's a different story.
As said, you'll only make enough to top up your pocket money. Living here short time will be much more expensive than being a resident, just is, rent, entertainment etc is higher.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I don't understand your point about where the process starts. The three month stamp on your passport isn't to do with employment, as far as I know, thought that was just to give people enough time to enter the application once things are completed this side. Can you not apply for work visa from here?
You must be a resident to work legally.

To become a provisional resident, you must first obtain a residency visa.

To get the visa you must start the process at the Dominican Consulate in your home country.

The stamp on your passport is a tourist stamp. A residency visa is a whole page.

That's what the kerfuffle not long ago about the process changing was all about.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You must be a resident to work legally.

To become a provisional resident, you must first obtain a residency visa.

To get the visa you must start the process at the Dominican Consulate in your home country.

The stamp on your passport is a tourist stamp. A residency visa is a whole page.

That's what the kerfuffle not long ago about the process changing was all about.

When I got my passport back from london it had a three month full page stamp on it, I thought that was pretty much standard. The visa stamp does not say what kind of visa it is. I don't know if that qualifies to work or not.

It's quite a process to get the visa for 3 months that you have to start at your home country and expensive from Canada to do. I think it was around $800-$1000 might have been for both the wife and I? I can't remember. But to go through all the paper work, criminal record check, fingerprints, bank statements, birth certificate, reference letters etc.. just for a six month trip i would advise against it!!!

I'm sure you could find some under the table jobs? People on here are right it won't pay much!
Good luck!
Hope you can make the six month trip!

Last edited: