Best Buy Is Advertising 32" LED For $220

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Even when I saw a 32 inch TV for $199 and "anything" under $200 is duty free, Encargopaq told me it still was not worth it.

You might ask Montero or Awilda for a door to door price and see if it is worthwhile.

Feb 15, 2005
Even when I saw a 32 inch TV for $199 and "anything" under $200 is duty free, Encargopaq told me it still was not worth it.

You might ask Montero or Awilda for a door to door price and see if it is worthwhile.

It's more economical to ship it? The other alternative is to buy one in the DR, but they are quite expensive.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's more economical to ship it? The other alternative is to buy one in the DR, but they are quite expensive.

It could be more economical to ship, but you will have to call Montero, or Awilda, etc and get a fixed door to door shipping price.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I suggest you wait for "Black Friday" to buy your tv, this way it will cost you less than US$200 dollars. Make sure you save your receipt, then bring tv with you on the plane. I've brong three tv's this way. The first time I lost my receipt, then when stopped at air port customs I had to pay RD$7,000 pesos, which was way more than what I had payed for the tv. The last two time I just show my receipt for less than US$200 and they let me walk through without paying a cent.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I suggest you wait for "Black Friday" to buy your tv, this way it will cost you less than US$200 dollars. Make sure you save your receipt, then bring tv with you on the plane. I've brong three tv's this way. The first time I lost my receipt, then when stopped at air port customs I had to pay RD$7,000 pesos, which was way more than what I had payed for the tv. The last two time I just show my receipt for less than US$200 and they let me walk through without paying a cent.

It depends upon where you are coming from. Some airlines will not let you bring a box with a TV on the plane. Some airlines, Canadian ones, might let you. And each time you do it, the results in the DR are likely to be different.

Dominican customs for door to door shipping of TVs DOES NOT LOOK AT THE PRICE. They charge duty based upon the size of the TV. Probably why a $199 TV still gets charged duty when you ship it, despite "all items under $200" being duty free.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
It depends upon where you are coming from. Some airlines will not let you bring a box with a TV on the plane. Some airlines, Canadian ones, might let you. And each time you do it, the results in the DR are likely to be different.

Dominican customs for door to door shipping of TVs DOES NOT LOOK AT THE PRICE. They charge duty based upon the size of the TV. Probably why a $199 TV still gets charged duty when you ship it, despite "all items under $200" being duty free.

The way I've done it is, by placing the TV inside the suitcase. I place clothes on the bottom of suitcase, then place the TV, after this I place more clothes on top. This way the TV is right in the middle of the suitcase. I have no idea on whether the airlines knows if I'm carrying the TV or not. One thing is certain, I've brong three tv's this way, and the last two times, even though I've been stopped and checked by customs I haven't payed custom taxes.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The way I've done it is, by placing the TV inside the suitcase. I place clothes on the bottom of suitcase, then place the TV, after this I place more clothes on top. This way the TV is right in the middle of the suitcase. I have no idea on whether the airlines knows if I'm carrying the TV or not. One thing is certain, I've brong three tv's this way, and the last two times, even though I've been stopped and checked by customs I haven't payed custom taxes.

32 inch TVs?

O

osiris7

32 inch TVs?

Its definitely possible if you have one of those large rolling suitcases. I see Europeans coming to NY and do that very thing.
Also I had to do something similar to get my projector and the screen in. If you want a big screen I recommend going the projector route. The projector fits in your carry on and the screen canvas can be folded and put in your suitcase. I now have a 100" tv and loving watching sports on it.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
32 inch TVs?

Yes!!! If you have one of those big-a*s*s suitcases it can be done. Try it at home, take a 32" TV and see if your suitcase is big enough to carry it. Trust me, I'm not the only Dominican doing this, many Dominicans bring in 32" tv's this way. I wish I knew how to post picture, for if I did, I would take a picture to demonstrate how easy it actually is to do.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
Its definitely possible if you have one of those large rolling suitcases. I see Europeans coming to NY and do that very thing.
Also I had to do something similar to get my projector and the screen in. If you want a big screen I recommend going the projector route. The projector fits in your carry on and the screen canvas can be folded and put in your suitcase. I now have a 100" tv and loving watching sports on it.
yes you can bring oversized luggage. its done all the time. i did it at 150.00 a bag that was over sized lol

May 29, 2006
If it's a 720p, wait six months and they'll be giving them away when you open a checking account. Most laptops and notepads have better resolution than that.

Jan 17, 2009
Really?? They just brought us one 29". EncargoPaq's charges: 3,400 pesos. Where do you find a 740 lcd here for about $280?

Jan 9, 2004
While its nice to try and save the duty, what do you do with a 32" TV today. Seems to me to be more of a bedroom TV...but if that is what you want...so be it.

However, for those willing to pay some duty, you are hardpressed to find a better deal than Walmart.com right now. Vizio 47" 1080P wifi LED with netflix for $398.00 free shipping...in the US. That is an outstanding value.

For those who care, real TV deals come about three times a year....Black Friday, Superbowl week and Fathers day week.

Price it out in the DR...then do a cost benefit analysis as to shipping/duty.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
While its nice to try and save the duty, what do you do with a 32" TV today. Seems to me to be more of a bedroom TV...but if that is what you want...so be it.

I have one in my office, one in the conference-room at my business and the third one is in my pool house. Come this "Black Friday" I'll be buying one more for my garage.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If you ship it you will probably pay about $150 to $200 in duty and shipping. About 6 years ago I did bring a 32" TV in a suitcase but technology at the airport has changed and it is probably a lot tougher to bring it in.

LTSteve