Cutting down the trees in the National Conservatory Park

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The city government of Mayor Roberto Salcedo has created the new Hispanoamerican Park in what is popularly known as the National Conservatory Park. Cement pathways were created, but now neighbors who use the park, including marketing expert Jose Calzada, are concerned. The government builders that are renovating the park have gone overboard in exchanging green areas for cement pathways. Calzada is outraged that 50-year old trees that provided shade and made the area appear as a forest inside the city, would be cut down.
Domingo Abreu, of the ANA environmental group that has helped in the causes of Los Haitises and Loma Miranda, urges that the community again take up the cause to stop the "cementization" of the city park. He speculates some building company is the one that is gaining with the big contract to install the cement areas where there before were green areas. Users of the park would be the big losers.
The same situation is happening in the city, where areas with trees, grass and dirt are being replaced with cement. This does not help the city's drainage and seems to be an old-fashioned vision of city renovation.

bhfu4w.jpg

2q9a0w9.jpg

34s1iqr.jpg

2h6auli.jpg

oksk5x.jpg

2rdclmo.jpg

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This seems to be the normal procedure. Sosua lost a lot of shade trees when its park was made.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
yes it is sad. **** poor planning for a park. i want a park that god made , not a city planner. They should design the park around the trees. don't get me wrong i am not one of these crazies who want to stop every tree from being cut down, but their should be a damn good reason besides profit for doing it