Exonoraci?n de Mudanza

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Please. I think I've been playing close attention to related threads, but am still not clear on the following:

Does a Dominican citizen moving back to the DR and that wants to take advantage of the above law need to own a car that he/she wants to ship for at least a year or does this rule apply to the general vehicle shipping only?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Please. I think I've been playing close attention to related threads, but am still not clear on the following:

Does a Dominican citizen moving back to the DR and that wants to take advantage of the above law need to own a car that he/she wants to ship for at least a year or does this rule apply to the general vehicle shipping only?

Good question... my understanding is that the returning Dominican does not have to own it a year, but he does have to have lived out of the country for over 6 months. I understand they are also entitled to a free container of belongings.

After talking to my SIL's sister, who handles the paperwork for the cars when they arrive, it's basically the same allowance a new DR resident is entitled to in the first 6 months after they get residency.

Any Dominican here on DR1 actually bring a car in???

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Good question... my understanding is that the returning Dominican does not have to own it a year, but he does have to have lived out of the country for over 6 months. I understand they are also entitled to a free container of belongings.

After talking to my SIL's sister, who handles the paperwork for the cars when they arrive, it's basically the same allowance a new DR resident is entitled to in the first 6 months after they get residency.

Any Dominican here on DR1 actually bring a car in???
We went to Aduanas right after receiving my residency to inquire about the specifics. While they said all decisions are made at the port, one theme that kept coming up was the 6 months thing for Dominicans (although I never understood how it applied to me, a person obviously not a native Dominican.

I understand the rule to mean a Dominican qualifies as long as he's been out of the country more than two years, and has NOT spent more than 6 months total in the DR during that period, based on passport documentation.

Maybe I misunderstood it.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Went to the offices of Cibao Cargo here in the NE US (maybe should've went there first) and got their answer to my question.

They were emphatic that a vehicle to be shipped to take advantage of the exoneration law must be owned by the individual DR citizen/resident for at least one year. If anyone knows of an exception please post.